Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Questions for those who bought Infinity by Sound Quest.

RABid

There was a thread here a month or two ago about Infinity, where to get it, and who here was going to buy it. Well, it is time to let the rest of us in on how you feel? So how is the sound? Is latency an issue? How does it compare to Reaktor and Tasman? Do you use the feature that allows DirectX and VST effects to be chained into instrument creation? Does it play DXi and VST instruments well and with low latency? Did you pick up MidiQuest in the package? If so, how does it do for programming your hardware instruments? Come on, talk to me people. I'm tired of waiting for a Keyboard Magazine review. Is that coming any time soon Dave?

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!

I wrote a HUGE post, in great detail, spent ALL DAY specifically testing Infinity, Reaktor and SynthEdit in answer to your post! Okay really I was just screwing around with my Vermona DAF-1 analog filter unit, which came today, and got some good tracks running the softsynths through the filters in the process, but :mad: anyway!

Let this be a lesson- important posts need to be done in a text editor then cut and pasted.

Well anyway, to sum it up: "My First Patch" in Infinity is not some bogus virtual "Moog", but "Hello World". That kind of says it all.

If you're up for spending some serious hours, if you can program in C, if you've got MAX/Karma-like aspirations, it's probably a winner.

Takes a lot of CPU, so latency varies a lot because although it can be low you have to crank it up to avoid crackling once there's a bunch of stuff going on. Not completely stable on my system, neither is Reaktor these days..

The sound...you'll have to judge for yourself because softsynths in particular are very different in the mix than alone. The new !jasonsynth free VSTi "Ninja" is the only softsynth I know that "out of the box" doesn't wilt like a gardenia as soon as there are a couple of tracks of real acoustic instruments along with it. That doesn't mean much for for sequenced dance, but it means a lot to me.

Infinity, Reaktor and Tassman are too different from each other to really compare, unless there's a specific goal in mind.

I feel bad about losing the post because I really did try to go into detail. The demo is too limited, without any patches that really show you the program's potentials. Maybe that will change.

Anyway- on one hand I think Infinity is great, on another I think the money might have been better spent in my case on the Vermona analog phaser unit, on the third I know I'll be stuck inside on some rainy day and discover some powerful thing that Infinity can do and go apeshit with that. Well, no piece of software except Samplitude has kept me stoked day and night without pause, you caught me on an Infinity "down", the weather will change.

-CB

Thanks for the responce. I had a lot of C programming in college but I have since evolved to management and forgotten how to "REALLY" program. I downloaded the demo last night and installed it on my PIII 733 with 600 Meg memory that is used for GigaStudio. I got a lot of studdering so I decided to try a different driver. At that point Infinity did a major crash on my system and the start menu would lock during bootup. I finnaly got access to the start menu through the Windows directory on the hard drive and managed to run the Infinity uninstall. All is fine with the world again and I don't know that I will try it again.

On the other side I spent some time with my Nord Modular last night and learned a few things that will give more life to my pads.

Thanks for the info.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Archived