Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Need help with an old synth restoration.

RABid

I just rescued a long forgotten Electrocomp Electronic Music Labs EML 400 from my parents basement. It has not been turned on in about 15 years. The basement has a dehumidifier but is still a bit damp and smoky from the furnace. Other than plastic pieces missing from sliders it looks good, just dirty. Today I will spend some time cleaning the outside but I am afraid to turn it on until it is checked out. I can just imagine sparks flying if I turn it on. Does anyone have any suggestion on how to proceed, or can you point me to a web site with information on restoring old electronic musical equipment? I guess my first step will be cleaning all those sliders and pots.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IT WORKS! Sort of. I could not stand it so I plugged it in and turned it on. The sliders and switches really need cleaning but the only thing that may be a problem is that oscillator 2 will not produce a saw wave, only square. Without a manual I dont know if this is a feature, a problem with the oscillator, or just a dirty switch that will not make contact when in that position.

I hoped to use this as a base for the beginning of a small modular system but from what I have found on the Internet EML use a proprietary 1.2 v system as apposed to the most commonly used 1 v per octave. I also do not have a single mono patch cord in the house and cannot remember how to get this thing to chase. Guess that is the fun of these old machines. There is a place online that will sell a copy of the manual for $32 delivered. Maybe that is the first place to start.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Robert-

Check the back pages of Mark Vail's Vintage Synthesizers book. He lists a few places that repair old synths. Good luck. Cool synth too, I checked the link from vintage sytnths

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

I haven't been to the site in a while, but you may find the info you are looking for at:

http://www.synthmuseum.com

I used to do some business with Jay there and it's a great site with all kinds of info on vintage synths.

I also second the suggestion to buy Mark Vail's book (as our company is the one who published it ;) ) You should be able to get it at BackBeatBooks.com.

Good Luck!!

[ 02-04-2002: Message edited by: mcdonough@musicplayer.com ]

[ 02-04-2002: Message edited by: mcdonough@musicplayer.com ]

Joe McDonough

Music Player Network

Archived