Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Turn on Bravo now!

Laurie Z.

Hey, ya'll - if you're not watching Bravo's interview with Billy Joel right now, you're really missing something...

Just hearing him describe (and play) how the sheet music for "Just the Way You Are" is wrong was worth it...

What channel near you, who knows - I've got Dish network...

Too cool. He loves Eb, hates A (too cold)...

Don't say I didn't tell ya.

:)

lz

www.lauriez.com

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Laurie Z,

How about an inteview with YOU?

I've often admired your work on the "Atmospheres" music channel of my satellite tv.

Really nice to know that you are here among schlubs like me!

Steve

If wishes were omelettes we would all be filled with cheese, AND HAM.

Originally posted by Steve Frederick:

Hey Laurie Z,

How about an inteview with YOU?

I've often admired your work on the "Atmospheres" music channel of my satellite tv.

Really nice to know that you are here among schlubs like me!

Steve

Schlubs? Not at all - we all help each other, Steve!

Thanks for the compliment...glad to hear they're playing my music on Atmospheres.

I'm still waiting for James Lipton to call, though! Hey, James?

:cool:

lz

www.lauriez.com

Laurie ,

I just finished a song in "A" . I felt a draft everytime I recorded it . Yeaaaaaahhh.....It was "cold" . Off to B flat ! Billy Joel is da man ! gotta love that stuff !

Have you ever had a chance to meet him ? dano

www.esnips.com/web/SongsfromDanO

Originally posted by Steve Frederick:

Ms. Z is an old dear friend of mine, which is why I can say this without fear of insulting her.

My son (going on three years old) is very particular about his sleep environment. If something like cartoons is on TV, he won't sleep. If any rock music is playing, he'll start jumping on his bed and singing.

So (you know what's coming)...we always put on the "Atmospheres" channel...and he crashes out right away. But think about it this way: I'd HIGHLY prefer tuning in to the artists on that channel than the "Easy Listening" or other less-stimulating choices.

Love you, Laurie! :D See you at the doggy park sometime soon!

- Jeff

Originally posted by lauriez@lauriez.com:

Just hearing him describe (and play) how the sheet music for "Just the Way You Are" is wrong was worth it

I didn't get to see it, but I'm curious: what was it about the sheet music he didn't like? I'm guessing bar 2 of the A section. As I recall, it went (can't remember the key, but from you note, I'd guess Eb): | Eb | Cm6 | Ab | etc. Or was it | Eb | Am7b5 | Ab | etc., I can't be sure. The sheet music probably notated it | Eb | Cm | Ab | etc., right?

I like that tune, I think it might be his best one.

Was this the "Inside the Actor's Studio" show? That is a GREAT interview of Billy Joel -- really a must see.

Absolutely, Mojo - it is. I'm hoping it'll run again so I can catch the parts I missed. Outstanding!

I just finished a song in "A" . I felt a draft everytime I recorded it . Yeaaaaaahhh.....It was "cold" . Off to B flat ! Billy Joel is da man ! gotta love that stuff !

Have you ever had a chance to meet him ? dano

Dano the mano! Nope, but I do feel a kindred spirit with him. Although...I like to write in all keys, including A. Each key is definitely different, but sometimes you want to have that mood in the song. One of my more recent tunes, "Who Knew?...." is in A, and there's nothing cold about it - it's joyous all the way. A was chosen purposely, as it was the key of the song on my first album that drew my husband to me, and this song was written for him.

It just depends on where you take the chord changes to and how the melody plays out.

Billy talked about rediscovering his classical roots and how THAT's what gets him excited now...and about all the rock tunes he covered in the band as he was creating his musical identity. Hearing him play the Stones' "Start Me Up" on piano to illustrate the difference between writing on guitar and piano is a hoot, and I think his definition of what a producer is was the best I've ever heard (of course, he's worked with Phil Ramone, so....).

If you haven't seen it, Dano, you'd dig this show...

My son (going on three years old) is very particular about his sleep environment. If something like cartoons is on TV, he won't sleep. If any rock music is playing, he'll start jumping on his bed and singing.

Sounds like my husband, Jeff!

Love you, Laurie! See you at the doggy park sometime soon!

Hey, let's do that, neighbor...she was there yesterday for an hour having a BLAST! :D

Just hearing him describe (and play) how the sheet music for "Just the Way You Are" is wrong was worth it

I didn't get to see it, but I'm curious: what was it about the sheet music he didn't like? I'm guessing bar 2 of the A section. As I recall, it went (can't remember the key, but from you note, I'd guess Eb): | Eb | Cm6 | Ab | etc. Or was it | Eb | Am7b5 | Ab | etc., I can't be sure. The sheet music probably notated it | Eb | Cm | Ab | etc., right?

I've never seen the sheet music, but the change that makes his hair stand up is really funny. He said that whenever he walks into a bar, invariably the piano player starts playing the sheet version of the tune with the fourth chord of that famous darn intro as a D major chord. DUH! not. It's a Dsus4, as he says, unresolved. The way he demonstrated it, with the goofy grin of a piano bar guy trying to pay homage to him was hilarious.

I like that tune, I think it might be his best one.

Billy doesn't...but that didn't stop it from selling a gazillion. Actually, the tune I was most knocked out by was one that I didn't previously know the name of - I believe it's Summer Highland Falls. The changes are marvelous and a lot of fun to play. BTW, I leave the captioning on the TV in the studio, and one of the coolest things was being able to read his lyrics while he was playing - I never realized how wonderful they are.

Fabulous show. IMHO, should be required watching for all piano players. :)

lz

www.lauriez.com

Originally posted by dano:

Laurie,

I saw this show B.Joel ! Did you ever see the one with Robin Williams ? dano

No - shoot, I missed it. He's amazing, too...must've been a cool show.

Boy I sure did a lousy job with those quotes in the last post, yes? Tried to use standard style quotes in another page as I responded to the comments, and THAT didn't work!

Ahhh well, the joys of UBB! :) OK, I get it now! Have a great weekend....

lz

www.lauriez.com

Originally posted by Jeff, TASCAM Guy:

Ms. Z is an old dear friend of mine, which is why I can say this without fear of insulting her.

Hey, Laurie! Jeff called you OLD! You're not gonna let him get AWAY with that, are you? :D

Just The Way You Are is a monster song mostly because of Phil Woods. Without Phil, it would have been forgettable.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Originally posted by Dan South:

Hey, Laurie! Jeff called you OLD! You're not gonna let him get AWAY with that, are you? :D

Just The Way You Are is a monster song mostly because of Phil Woods. Without Phil, it would have been forgettable.

Ack! Dan, you're right....Jeff - whatsupwithat? :eek:

Ummmm - remind me what Phil did, Dan? Not sure...but I can tell you that it's never been my favorite Billy Joel song to play. "Pressure" is much cooler...(and one of my favorite early MTV videos too).

:cool:

lz

I once had a conversation with someone and all we did was quote Billy Joel lyrics .....

It was kinda fun or we were just a little drunk ...... "Sometimes I don't know why I go to extremes " , maybe we were in a" New York State of mind" .

Honestly ...... dano

www.esnips.com/web/SongsfromDanO

Ummmm - remind me what Phil did, Dan? Not sure...but I can tell you that it's never been my favorite Billy Joel song to play. "Pressure" is much cooler...(and one of my favorite early MTV videos too).

Phil Woods - Alto Sax virtuoso. ;)

'Just The Way You Are' features two of my favorite Phil Woods solos (middle and fade section). Phil also soloed on Steely Dan's 'Doctor Wu', which is IMHO the best sax solo in the history of popular music, maybe the best solo on ANY instrument...except piano, of course. ;)

Yeah, I still remember the 'Pressure' video. Amazing! "All your life is Channel 13..."

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Ack! Dan, you're right....Jeff - whatsupwithat?

Okay...let me say that Laurie is a long-term friend. A seasoned, mature, experienced, long-term friend. But not old.

I think I'm in more trouble now. :D

- Jeff

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by istyle@hotmail.com:

hi

Laurie

as a reader of keyboardmag i like to say hi to you

Appearing in that mag is every keyboardist's dream ( if memry serves right it's success...on a shoestring sth issue )

Did that change your life?

cheers

istyle

Hi, istyle! You're right - it was the cover article in 1997 (March, I believe) called "Success on a Shoestring." At the time, I was touring for Yamaha, about to release my third CD, and it was an exciting time, made even more so with the publication of the Keyboard cover story which included myself and several other independent artists.

Greg did a great interview, too - asked good questions, and I felt like we got some helpful info out. No, it didn't change my life....but I got lots of email and requests for help, and made a few new amigos around the world in the industry.

All in all, a great experience. Might be time for an update one of these days - a lot of things have changed in the industry since Keyboard's last article on indies. Actually, it's changing every day!

What kind of music do you do? Did the article inspire you to put out your own CD?

Take care,

lz

www.lauriez.com

yes

it inspired me to invest on 2 synths,QS8.1 ( not a good pianist though,just selftaught myself at around 30,beginning to improove free joints after 5 yrs of on and off practises!!! )the other is trinity

i love rock and pianomusic but knew my limited time ,ability

i headed into electronic style,hoping i could finish my music faster than realplaying avenue only to find i had to learn all those JARGONs,filter,controllers,....!!! ( what set you apart from other artists in that issue is your quote " Basically,just about everything that could go wrong has gone wrong in my experience,i had to learn about ... so i did jump on to the same trial and error bandwagon you already passed )

This road took me 6yrs and i just feel my producing skill is above amateur level with my latest mp3 only but it still far from putting my own CD out commercially

( maybe i'll ask you to do realitycheck for me on that one later hehehe i know this is not "let's hear it "thread )

cheers

istyle

www.mp3.com/istyle

• 4 weeks later...
Originally posted by istyle@hotmail.com:

thought i bring this thread up for Laurie Z

hehehe

Hey, istyle! Funny you should bring this up - saw a good buddy of mine, Wade Preston, the other night and he mentioned that he's up for a part in a Broadway show about Billy Joel...I really hope he gets it, because he's perfect for it. Wade is a killer pianist, and he's been doing Billy's songs for years.

I'm not sure where the production is running, but it sounds like a show worth looking for!

:)

lz

www.lauriez.com

Archived