Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yet Another CoverCD tune

Bobro

"The Star", (La Steaua, translated into English by the composer's daughter) by Rumanian composer Nicolae Bretan. Written in 1928- the words are earlier and must have been very "science fiction" in their day, so I did it in the style of yesterday's-tomorrows, or retro-future.

I think I sent Dave the mix I did for my sister-in-law, which is much hotter and sizzly. This is the correct version, just straight out of the multitracker as it should be.

Anyway, hope you like it.

http://www.kosmolith.com/Star.MP3

-CB

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, Phil! The "strings" are one of my Reaktor patches, each voice in the chord played as an individual mono line in the multitrack. Never do record chords except in improvs. The high sparkly sounds are played with Martin Brinkman's "CaZi01" phase distortion Reaktor patch, complete with crunchy aliasing but layered with a silvery sound from my Hohner string machine (actually a Logan String Melody I with a badge tacked on), the soft bass thump is from the string machine too.

There's a very subtle thing to the original composition that has influenced me greatly since finding the piece ten years ago; you can test it by exaggerating the effect: for example comp i-iv-V in a and play e phrygian and e "gypsy" over that, taking care that the leading tone (major third in the melody's "gypsy" mode, g# in the example) never resolves to the harmony's tonic (a) in the melody.

John, I can mail you the piece no problem- maybe it's time to find a new server, arg.

-CB

I'm sorry Bobro for being tardy with my response. I actually listened to it when you first posted it. Here were my immediate thoughts.

1. Frank Zappa rides again.

2. This is way beyond me, musically.

3. What talent it takes to do this.

4. Where is his lovely wife's voice?

Awesome job!!!

Steve

www.seagullphotodesign.com

Originally posted by b_3guy:

I'm sorry Bobro for being tardy with my response. I actually listened to it when you first posted it. Here were my immediate thoughts.

1. Frank Zappa rides again.

2. This is way beyond me, musically.

3. What talent it takes to do this.

4. Where is his lovely wife's voice?

Awesome job!!!

Thanks for the kind words b_3guy! Bernarda was extremely busy so I didn't get a chance to have her do the "distant star" parts according to plan unfortunately. Her singing "bom...bom...buuu-ba-bom" blows away the synth sounds of course. She'll be singing a lot more on our third CD, I'll be playing quite a bit of clarinet, and a friend will be doing Middle Eastern percussion, so between the four kinds of sounds we've got pretty much the whole spectrum covered and all synthesis can be there only because it's wanted and not because it's the only option.

Speaking of Frank Zappa, I got Bernarda "Hot Rats" and "Boulez Conducts..." and she became an instant fan and even bought a biography. His Synclavier work is kind of a battle flag for DIY, although it's humbling to hear what he was doing 20 years before there even was a "DAW revolution". :)

-CB

Cameron:

That's a lovely song, done with attitude.

I (finally) get what you mean about the non-resolution. I really like how you avoid the "lets just add some modern bass and drums" thing. Your arrangement brings out all the textures.

I'll be buying this cd if Dave lets me.

Jerry

Archived