Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Suppose a hard disk recorder was built in ?

Dan O

Suppose you could audio out of your keyboard to a seperate input on your keyboard that allows audio recording ?Onto a hard drive and mix and burn CD aLL within the keyboard ? I do this now with a seperate unit ( Tascam788) . Suppose it was all in one unit ? dano
www.esnips.com/web/SongsfromDanO

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmm, I dunno. That blows the portability aspect, and makes for a box that will likely be compromised in SOME way, either the keyboard/synth section or the recorder section will be below competitive standalone units, or the price point would be prohibitive.

Personally, I think I like mine separate. (I use a Korg D1600, BTW.) :)

Cheers!

Phil "Llarion: The Jazzinator" Traynor

www.llarion.com

Smooth Jazz

- QUESTION AUTHORITY. Go ahead, ask me anything.

http://www.llarion.com/images/dichotomybanner.jpg

With hard drives being so small + having a couple of line inputs ?

You can sample a voice ? Why not just be able to record ? Suppose your on the road ? Line out to line in ?

A D12 sorta within the keyboard ?

The great thing about keyboard is that the sequences are pre -mixed prior to playing into a hard drive . All in one wouldn't make the keyboard that much bigger . If bigger at all ! dano

www.esnips.com/web/SongsfromDanO

dano,

If you simply put the recording facility in there, stereo only, to record a sequence or live playing, with no bells and whistles, then yes, it wouldn't add much to the size, but most folks that use HD recorders really rely on the mixing, effects, and mastering capabilities of their units. it's nearly impossible to control 16 tracks without faders, and you'd want a 16 track recorder, to mirror a 16 track sequencer, for example.

To make a keyboard that had enough real estate to install inputs, effects loop patching, outputs, faders and controls to be able to record anything else besides the internal instruments would, IMHO, create an instrument that would be overly complex, and probably VERY expensive.

(Yes, HDs are cheap on their own, but music companies haven't seemed to figure that out. They think that musicians don't know how cheap computer stuff is. Case in point: Korg offers a burner for the D1600. It's a vanilla ATAPI 2x8x CDRW burner, and they want $350. I went into Best Buy and got one for $49 and it works great.)

If they COULD find a way to to it inexpensively, there'd proabaly be a niche market for it, but I think that it might also cannibalize sales of potentially higher margin standalone units, so perhaps that's why it hasn't happened yet...

Cheers!

www.llarion.com

Smooth Jazz

Originally posted by dano:

Suppose you could audio out of your keyboard to a seperate input on your keyboard that allows audio recording ?Onto a hard drive and mix and burn CD aLL within the keyboard ?

From the press release on the new Korg Triton Studio:

Up to six channels of audio I/O

The TRITON STUDIO comes with two channel analog and digital (S/PDIF) audio inputs. The S/PDIF inputs supports both 48 kHz and 96 kHz audio sources, ensuring compatibility with digital recording systems. The optional EXB-mLAN interface adds two more input channels, for a total of six.

Create audio CDs

The TRITON STUDIO makes it easy for you to create original audio CDs or data backup CDs without using any external equipment. After your song is finished, just sample the output to the internal hard drive and the resulting .WAV files can be written to the optional CDRW-1 (or a SCSI-connected CD-R/RW) to create an audio CD. From initial inspiration to final CD what could be easier?

There ya go.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

As I suspected, it's two track stereo only, but considering the power of the Triton, you can make sure the song sounds judt right before dumping to WAV, so that's all that's really necessary in this instance. Another bravo to Korg!

Cheers!

www.llarion.com

Smooth Jazz

Archived