Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sponsorship:wich one would you choose?

urk10

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

for my style of playing, definitely yamaha. playing live i would require a C7 grand. one problem - they don't have a drawbar keyboard yet, suprisingly. i read in a yammy mag that a dude who is endorsed by them also uses a b3, but all the rest is yammy. is that allowed under deals?

pray for peace,

kendall

"Consider how much coffee you're drinking - it's probably not enough."

Porsche.

I would look so damn good driving a silver Carrera 4 that they'd sell more of them to people wanting to be as cool as me.

Plus, manufacturers of music and audio gear would want to see their keyboards, guitars, basses and so on in my Carrera. I'd let them do photo shoots of me and my Porsche for their ads.

In case you thought I'm just kidding about the above...you're wrong. I want a damn Porsche and I'll never get one so I'm bitter.

And I want to borrow steadyb's free Steinway.

- Jeff

After playing one at NAMM, give me a Fazioli grand piano and I'll buy my own synths. Holy s**t what a nice piano. First one I've ever tried that gave me everything I want musicallty, exactly how I want. And a paltry $123K.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

Originally posted by Jeff, TASCAM Guy:

Porsche.

I would look so damn good driving a silver Carrera 4 that they'd sell more of them to people wanting to be as cool as me.

In case you thought I'm just kidding about the above...you're wrong. I want a damn Porsche and I'll never get one so I'm bitter.

- Jeff

Just for you, Jeff!!! :D

http://autos.yahoo.com/newcars/details/porsche01911carrera4/

[ 01-24-2002: Message edited by: midirat ]

"I may be a craven little coward, but I'm a greedy craven little coward." Daffy Duck

I don't believe it's all that difficult to become a "Steinway Artist." As I understand it, you have to 1) own a Steinway and 2) have some level of accomplishment. This might be recognized playing ability, commercial success, or reputation. My last two teachers were Steinway Artists, one never ever released anything commercially and is really just known around as a great player and excellent jazz piano instructor. The other has had several commercial releases. There are composers who are not great players who are in this club as well.

I believe what it gets you is 1) some recognition from Steinway and 2) the ability to rent pianos at no charge from their pool of artist pianos. You do have to pay transportation/tuning charges. All major cities with a Steinway dealer have these select pianos available. I played the Seattle Steinway B once. It was without question the finest B I've ever played. Wonderfully consistent in touch and tone across the entire instrument. They do deliberately save the best for the best. Also, AFAIK, anyone can rent from this pool.

Busch.

Oh God, it's beautiful. And only about $75,000! Let's see...anyone got an extra $2,000/month they can give me for the next five years?

- Jeff

Check Or MO??? :P

"I may be a craven little coward, but I'm a greedy craven little coward." Daffy Duck

personally id take the 911 GT2 over the carra 4...

but if i didnt have a choice i would'nt be complaining :D

how about we just pool our resources and get one?

we can play soccer to see who gets to drive it (dodges fists... :) )

jeff you are amazing, prophetic even. good work with the porsche thing. what if you don't like steinways though? yes i'm sure it is possible not to. i like their tone but not touch. a yamaha C7 (or bigger) does it.

pray,

k

"Consider how much coffee you're drinking - it's probably not enough."

Originally posted by jimbyjoe:

what if you don't like steinways though?

Pianos...are like women. Some guys like blondes. Some like brunettes. Some are partial to redheads. Some like skinny girls. Some like chubby girls. But most (heterosexual) men can enjoy the qualities of many different types of women.

What was my point? Oh yeah.

Anyway, some pianists like Steinways. Some like Bosendorfers. Some like Yamahas. Some like Faziolis. And so on. They're great pianos. You just may have a preference of one over another. And that preference is allowed to change, without reason or justification, as many times as you want it to over the course of your lifetime.

Life, my friend, is a bowl of jellybeans. Just pick your color.

- Jeff

Originally posted by jimbyjoe:

Steinway...i like their tone but not touch. k

You can always replace the Steinway action with a Renner. The Renner action is used in a lot of pianos (Steinway & Sons in Hamburg, Fazioli/Italy, Bösendorfer/Austria, Grotrian-Steinweg, Bechstein Ibach, Feurich, Seiler, Sauter, Steingräber & Söhne, Pfeiffer, Leipziger Pianofortefabrik, Zimmermann, Steinberg, Blüthner, and Förster. ...American pianos such as Baldwin, Charles Walter, and Mason & Hamlin.)

Only the US Steinways have Steinway actions, the Hamburg ones use Renner. I would love to replace the action on my B with a Renner. It is a beautifully balanced action.

http://www.rennerusa.com/

Busch.

Oh God, it's beautiful. And only about $75,000! Let's see...anyone got an extra $2,000/month they can give me for the next five years?

- Jeff

Hey Jeff, My red 911 996 Cabriolet convertible is only $1,240 a month for 36 months, so there's hope for you. Remember, "There is no substitute!" :D

I'd have to go with ROland...

Mmmmm, VS-2480, V-session kit, my RD-500... great monitors... suchs a full and balanced product set for us multi-instrumentalists..yummers... :D

Cheers!

Phil "Llarion: The Jazzinator" Traynor

www.llarion.com

Smooth Jazz

- QUESTION AUTHORITY. Go ahead, ask me anything.

http://www.llarion.com/images/dichotomybanner.jpg

Originally posted by burningbusch:

You can always replace the Steinway action with a Renner. The Renner action is used in a lot of pianos (Steinway & Sons in Hamburg, Fazioli/Italy, Bösendorfer/Austria, Grotrian-Steinweg, Bechstein Ibach, Feurich, Seiler, Sauter, Steingräber & Söhne, Pfeiffer, Leipziger Pianofortefabrik, Zimmermann, Steinberg, Blüthner, and Förster. ...American pianos such as Baldwin, Charles Walter, and Mason & Hamlin.)

Only the US Steinways have Steinway actions, the Hamburg ones use Renner. I would love to replace the action on my B with a Renner. It is a beautifully balanced action.

http://www.rennerusa.com/

Busch.

That's what I have -- a Stienway B with the Renner action. I got it that way from the Steinway factory in Queens, and had some additional work done (regulation, damper work, voicing, custom strings, etc.) after it left the factory. Interestingly enough, some years, Steinway was spitting out Bs with the Renner action. Most years, no. I think some of the parts from the NY Steinway are superior to their German counterpart, so for me, the perfect piano is the NY B with the Renner action (plus additional work that is so well worth the money, I can't even begin to say what a good thing it is to have it done -- in fact, no Steinway coming off the assembly line meets Steinway's own specs!)

SteadyB: I am not alone in preferring the B to the D. Many pianists who I know feel that the B is superior. In many ways it is more perfectly proportioned, and is known as the "Artist's Grand." The D is big so that it is loud enough to carry in big halls, but given the choice, I'd rather play a great B. Plus, with a name like SteadyB, you gotta like the B!

Comparing Steinway to the upscale European types: for me it's like Jeff's Porsche vs. a Rolls. The Porsche is the "car's car." It's the one that makes your spine tingle when you accelerate and leave the other poor bastards in their family sedans in the dust. The Rolls is like the big cushy Burzondolfer (sp?). Beautiful on the outside, perfectly machined, that extra octave -- what a sound! -- but it's not a "musician's piano" in the same way a Steinway is. You can drive a Steinway. A Burzondolfer drives you like a Rolls. I recently played a Burzondolfer at the house of some rich bitch I visited in Cali who had two. Why would anybody buy two Burzondolfers when they could buy 2 Porsches and 2 Steinways --one for them, one for Jeff -- with the same amount of dough? Even for the same price, I'd still take the Steinway.

-Peace, Love, and BrittanyLips

[ 01-26-2002: Message edited by: Brittanylips ]

On the hardware side it would have to be Sony. I'll take an Oxford, a pair of Sony 3348HR's, a couple C-800G's, and that sampling reverb of theirs. On the software side, Emagic of course. I've got Logic and Sounddiver, still waiting on the ES-1, EXS and EVP-88.

The amazing thing is most people get endorsements after they've got a few hits and can finally afford to buy anything they want.

Rob

[ 01-26-2002: Message edited by: robmix ]

Rob Hoffman

http://www.robmixmusic.com

Los Angeles, CA

Archived