Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

saturation/distortion for a synth

Lemke

Hello!

Can anyone recommend analog/modelling unit to do the job? I need saturated sound for some synth or sampler parts varying from slight to fully distorted. Digital fx, such as lexicon mpx-g2 or bulit-in distortion of my 03D do not satisfy me. Maybe something from guitar world? Stereo units prefered.

TIA

Eugene

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Lemke,

I would suggest the Line6 Distortion Modeller. It's probably got the most variety for what you want to do. I use a Line 6 POD Pro sometimes and it works some real magic on drums and just about anything else i throw at it. Because they're modelers, they react differently than a standard distortion pedal. ie: if you're distorting drums using a Fender Tweed, the dynamics of the drums will trigger different amounts of gain. Feels more natural. Hope that helps;

Cheers,

Shiver

Rule #2: Don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

I seem to recall Marino and I agreeing that we prefer the POD on keyboards rather than guitar. And like Dave, I use a RAT too (original, not turbo). And that's about all I have in common with Marino and Dave, i.e., they can actually play keyboards.
Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

The Johnson J-Station might also be worth looking into...I've run synths through my Johnson Millennium, which has the same basic amp modeling engine as the J-Station, and the results were bone-crushing.

I find the distortion on the Johnson to be a little tighter and crunchier than the POD, and the J-Station sells for a measly $149 nowadays. AND you get a digital out, which you don't get on a POD unless you spring for a POD Pro. It's a pretty rockin' little box.

Ian

i third the notion of the rat, i use a rat II and it sounds nice

edit: i just remembered, the distortion on the pod and pod pro is modeled after the rat anyways, so (imho) id get the rat just for true analog sound.. unless you want the other features of the pod.

[ 01-24-2002: Message edited by: coren5555 ]

Originally posted by Lemke:

Hello!

Can anyone recommend analog/modelling unit to do the job? I need saturated sound for some synth or sampler parts varying from slight to fully distorted. Digital fx, such as lexicon mpx-g2 or bulit-in distortion of my 03D do not satisfy me. Maybe something from guitar world? Stereo units prefered.

TIA

Eugene

POD is good... POD pro is great if you wanna create it to stereo. or just get 2 RATs!

I run my Triton through a Boss GT-3. Roland's cosm amp models are even better than the POD's, IMHO, and you get models of the most popular boss effects too. I've used distortions on my synth, and even a leslie patch on the triton's organ sounds (as opposed to the internal rotary sim). It sounds great.

Thank you!

I'll certainly dig POD and Roland COSM.

But the the first thing I should do is to try VirusB,

because I have one. Great advice.

And more real analog advices except Rat?

E

I have used many Distortion Devices for both Guitar and Keyboard...Matchless Dirt Box, Mesa Boogie V-Twin, Budda Phatman, Z. Vex Fuzz Factory(Killer Box),Lexicon MPX-G2, Rat, Sansamp Classic & PSA-1,Danelectro Grilled Cheese & French Toast, As well as an assortment of Digital boxes including the POD. My favorite of all is easily the Sansamp PSA-1, It will work beautifully with any instrument and has the hugest array of great tone. It also sounds great with other distortion boxes in front of it. I like running the Dano's and the Z.vex in front because it allows you to fine tailor those sounds perfectly. Oh Yeah, It is Analog Cuircutry coupled with digital (MIDI) control, allowing you to store presets. All it needs to be perfect is some Clavia Nord Lead 3 Style Knobs and the ability to send and receive MIDI CC's.

If you need further info check out the reviews on Harmony Central.

Archived