Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Piece o' Sh*t Keyboard

Jeff Klopmeyer

Hey, this is the Keyboard Corner. But I'm not talking about anything musical.

I've broken three (!) Micro Connectors USB computer keyboards in the last six months. And no, I'm not referring to the one that my cat puked on.

In one, the space bar and several of the 10-key keys stopped functioning. In another, it just stopped being seen by the computer (problem with the USB connector, I suppose). The one I'm typing on now is giving me two or three characters every time I write the letter "d". It just did it again! I have to go back and look through and edit everything I write now so it doesn't seem as if I've developed a bad lexigraphic stutter.

The damn things cost like $60 each, and I can't be without a computer keyboard long enough to justify warranty service.

The Apple ones don't seem to break. This is what I get for using third-party hardware, I guess.

- Jeff

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Jeff, TASCAM Guy:

The Apple ones don't seem to break. This is what I get for using third-party hardware, I guess.

- Jeff

Dude, spring for the Apple Pro Keyboard and the Pro Mouse. No more crusty track balls slowing you down.

You must be buying the wrong keyboards. I'm the sloppiest guys as far as not washing my hands before using the computer (I'm meticulous with music keyboards though). Plus I type like a gorilla. :) Never had a problem.. must be luck

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Is it only me that hates Apple's black keyboards?

OK, they look snazzy, but come on, what about ergonomics?

I really like to work in a dimly lit enviroment and the USB-keyboard that came with this Mac doesn't cut it.

This is also the #1 reason why I have not bought a TiBook.

BTW, are there any USB-keyboards available sans the numeric keys ?

And while I'm in the rant mode: How come Digidesigns Custom Keyboard for ProTools is so darn expensive?

/Mats

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

It's strange, I've had all kind of troubles with other devices, but keyboards have always worked 100% even after years and years of use - and I type a lot, not to mention my little sister slams on the keys when she's using my pc to play some games. Well, wait, many years ago, when I had a Sinclair ZX-Spectrum 48kb... *THAT* was a crappy keyboard, and a new keyboard membrane to fix it was way too expensive -- I think I spent as much on keyboard membranes as in the computer itself. But after that, no trouble at all with my other computers (I'll cross my fingers just in case).

Maybe you should buy them from another dealer... or maybe the atmospheric conditions of the room you have the computer in are bad (humidity or something?). Or maybe it's just bad luck and your next keyboard lasts for decades...

= blue =

Uh, I forgot, of course it's a gooddd idea to try the keyboarddd on another computer. It might be something with your motherboarddd (the connectors are attached to it), or even your operative system, keyboarddd dddrivers, or some intricate bios setting... wasn't technology supposeddd to make our lifes easier??

Oh wait, what are all those triple ddd's??? Your problem is not infectious, is it? DDDamn it, what ddid you dddo to meeee!!!! Please put this guy on quarantine!! :D

[ 01-24-2002: Message edited by: Blue ]

= blue =

Hi there, smart-asses and helpers alike...

1. I did buy them all from the same place. CompUSA, to be precise. No, wait, that's a lie. I bought the most recent one from Fry's.

2. Synthetic, you little bastard. It was good to hang out with you at NAMM. My hands are clean, mostly, and I also never had problems with the ADB keyboards. It's the USB ones that have all fucked up on me.

3. I don't mind the black keys...I type mostly by feel, and my office/studio is usually dark when I'm in there. The problems I've had with Micro Connectors keyboards have been both at home and here in my office at TASCAM.

4. Yeah, I'm going to spring for the Apple model next time around.

Thanks.

- Jeff

Hehehe! My teenage sister-in-law was here visiting and this keyboard is now ready to go to the great QWERTZ in the sky!

The key that gets stuck the most is Backspace. :mad:

I forbade IRC but she manages with Messenger in Windows and Yahoo Msngr. in Linux. KAKITY KLAKITY KLAK!

-CB

Originally posted by Blue:

Uh, I forgot, of course it's a gooddd idea to try the keyboarddd on another computer. It might be something with your motherboarddd (the connectors are attached to it), or even your operative system, keyboarddd dddrivers, or some intricate bios setting... wasn't technology supposeddd to make our lifes easier??

Oh wait, what are all those triple ddd's??? Your problem is not infectious, is it? DDDamn it, what ddid you dddo to meeee!!!! Please put this guy on quarantine!! :D

[ 01-24-2002: Message edited by: Blue ]

LMAO!!!! :D

"I may be a craven little coward, but I'm a greedy craven little coward." Daffy Duck

What about the Microsoft Office Keyboard, has anyone tried it on a mac? Looks like a good idea with all those extra functions(I can pick one up real cheap, this week only).

/Mats

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

Archived