Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Back from NAMM dano

Dan O

Hello to all,

Just returned from NAMM . Many nice things introduced . I was busy demoing Ketron stuff !

It was great to see LaurieZ + Mike Martin and many others !

Dan South .......did we meet ? I was right next to Kurzweil ! Either way ........It went by fast !

dB .......sorry I did not make it by the ADAM booth !

I will post a little later on gear ! dano

www.esnips.com/web/SongsfromDanO

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dano - it was great to see you, too!

I didn't post my NAMM impressions, because for the first year in a long time, I only went for one afternoon.

It was good to see my friends, including dB of course (the ADAM speakers sounded incredible), Tascam Jeff (thanks for providing the GIGA-demo - it was good to finally sit down and see/hear it), Marvster and Skippy John Lehmkool at the Ilio booth, my Alesis friends like Mike Peake and Brian Shim and the rest of the team demoing Andy and the redisgned QS, Mike Prager ran us around Halion, got to finally meet Mike Martin @ Kurzweil, and just take in that show vibe for a few hours.

The highlight was seeing buddies I only get to see once a year, but gear-wise...the main things that made my head turn around for a second look was the Emagic booth (omygoodness - was that a set for a movie or what? That has to be my nomination for most amazing booth design this year), the modular synth over at Emu, seeing MIDIMan, former itty bitty company have a humungous booth full of new products, listening to wonderful sounds coming out of Ilio, East-West, and many other sample sound booths, and some of the other things that others have already mentioned. Software Row has definitely expanded in the past few years, and that seemed to be where the primary growth in the industry was.

Roland had their usual assortment of new products in each line - the main thing that I found interesting was the new XV5050. But - I still plan to keep my 5080, since it won't play the Orchestral Boards or any of the other older format boards.

Didn't even make it over to Yamaha this year, and...what's a NAMM show without bumping into Craig Anderton? Craig - sorry I missed you...

Michael and I loved your demo, Dano - the Ketron sounded pretty darn cool, especially with you and Ellis Hall kicking booty on it. I can definitely see where a gigging player could use its features.

Oh, and I got to meet one of my producer/engineer heroes, Alan Parsons, over at Steinberg. Very cool.

That's it for now...I'll post this in the NAMM folder over at Craig's place, too.

lz

www.lauriez.com

It was great to see everyone. Thanks to everyone that stopped by the booth as I really didn't get an opportunity to leave our booth during the show.

Dano - Sounded great.

LaurieZ - Nice to meet you, sorry I was brain dead when you introduced yourself. :)

dB - We'll hook up sometime soon I hope!

Jeff - Tascam was kind enough to lend us some CD players to use with the KSP8. Thank you!

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

I, too was glad to get a chance to see you guys at NAMM. Steve F, Laurie, Geoff, Phil, Valky, steadyb, Jeff K, synthetic, Mike M, Geo, Gus, TinderArts (and anyone else who I may have forgotten)...it was great to hang with all of you!

I didn't get to see almost any of the gear that I had wanted to check out, though - my ADAM booth was shorthanded for most of the show, on top of which I had also agreed to demo some of the Sonic Reality libraries in the Ilio booth a couple of times each day. Since the ADAM booth was in Hall E and the Ilio booth was in Hall A I had to spend a bunch of time hoofing it between booths , but it was definitely a great thing to be able to break away from doing the speaker demos and play some keyboards. Thanks to Dave Kerzner for asking me to sit in for him - nice sounding samples, mah brutha... :D

Anyway, suffice it to say that it was a busy show for me. :eek:

Dano, I'm sorry I didn't get to you - I came by your booth once or twice, but I seemed to keep just missing you. The booth looked great, though... ;)

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Brutha Dave, Good seeing you, Dano, I saw you but didn't get a chance to say hello. I spent almost all of my time doing KSP8 5.1 demos in a suite at the Hilton.

I'm a bit late in responding as I was in a wreck 3 blocks from the Convention Center on my way home. All is well and

I look forward to seeing you guys at NAB, AES or NAMM.

Take Care,

George Hamilton

Yamaha US

Originally posted by Geosync:

I'm a bit late in responding as I was in a wreck 3 blocks from the Convention Center on my way home.

Was that you all smashed up on the onramp to the 5 North at Harbor? Hope not...that looked like a nasty 4-car accident.

- Jeff

Yep I was the one with his face covered in blood

OUCH !! :(

Oh, jeez, man. I saw you. It was not pretty. I was sure someone had been killed in that accident...the green SUV in the back (Explorer?) had its entire front end shoved into the dashboard. Of course, by then (6:15 or so), all the EMTs and cops were there, so I just cautiously got on the freeway and got my ass home.

Sorry that happened to you. Any severe injuries for you or anyone else in the pile-up?

- Jeff

No, we were lucky That was my pretty, green Explorer.

I had all the gear from the suite with me. So I waited for AAA to pick me up from the police impound lot and rode with the stuff back to the SF valley.

Take Care,

George Hamilton

Yamaha US

I was in a wreck 3 blocks from the Convention Center on my way home. All is well....

Oh, NO! SO sorry to hear about that, George - that has to be a nightmare that all of us have had as we travel around for our gigs.

It's a relief to hear that you're ok. The traffic around the show is nuts, and we don't want to lose any of our compadres!

Take care of yourself,

lz

www.lauriez.com

I'm a bit late in responding as I was in a wreck 3 blocks from the Convention Center on my way home. All is well and

I look forward to seeing you guys at NAB, AES or NAMM.

Oh man, I saw that too!!! Very glad to hear you're OK.

steadyb

Archived