Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Motif-8 or RD-700 as a controler?

Poelo

I'v been in the store trying these two umits out and can't make up my mind.

Has anyone tried these over some period of time.

What if I'l go with the RD-700 and use a motif-6 for it's sounds only, would that create latency?

Thanks !

Poelo

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Poelo:

I'v been in the store trying these two umits out and can't make up my mind.

Has anyone tried these over some period of time.

What if I'l go with the RD-700 and use a motif-6 for it's sounds only, would that create latency?

Thanks !

Poelo

I've only tried these in the store myself.

Any MIDI hookup creates latency but you are very unlikely to notice it unless something in the set up is seriously lame (like a computer running a non-real time OS, for example) and you are sending large amounts of continuous controller data, such as aftertouch - noisy pitch and modulation wheels can also cause problems.

Sometimes you can hear samples in synths that have not been trimmed properly so there is an audible delay between when you press a key and when you hear the sound. This is not midi delay and in fact can be part of producing an authentic patch - a Baritone sax, for example, does not respond instantaneously in the low register, so you have to play slightly ahead of the time to be right on the beat.

But, let me get this straight, you are thionking of buying one of each and driving one keyboard (not module) only by midi? Why not play both keyboards at once? It gives you much more scope as far as sounds are concerned and is essential for certain styles. If you really do not want to play both boards, think about a board and a module.

Thanks.

The problem is that I'm not realy found of the motif-8's feeling but like the sounds. At the same time I'm aware of how important it is for me to play with hammer-action and I like the RD-700's feel a lot. So, are you sure it can create a latency? In the store they say it's proven wrong but to me it feels like it when I'm playing.

Poelo

Archived