Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Emagic sounddiver (check your ethics)

hey all, i'm in a bit of a bind. (and yes the following is borderline unethical, but i'm not sure it matters anymore) i'm not a midi guy at all but, i'm looking to control some really old 80's gear (lexicon lxp-1, Yam Rev7, boss Se-50, Alesis wedge) with some degree of recall. from what i gather, seems like emagic sound diver (even a very old version) will do the trick. HOWEVER, i'm not of the mind to pay big money for a product that is dead/not supported as far as windoze is concerned. so....anybody got a copy for cheap/free? i'd be willing to trade you my pictures of winona ryder caught in the act....... thanks in advance, -d. gauss

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If I gather your question correctly it sounds like you have some midi gear and need a midi sequencer program? Do you have a midi interface in your computer? There are probably some shareware or freeware midi programs available. Try searching for shareware or freeware with your browser and see what pops up. You might try dogpile.com and type in midi software. It'll search everywhere for you. Keep in mind you need a midi interface too..

Mark G.

"A man may fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame others" -- John Burroughs

"I consider ethics, as well as religion, as supplements to law in the government of man." -- Thomas Jefferson

So you're basicly not willing to pay for a program that does what you want?! I hear you , I'm also looking for some cheap free stuff : a car will be nice (prefebly convertable) a bigger second hand house - with a hugh garden and while you at it....... BTW - No ever said Sound driver for PC will not be supported anymore - it's only Logic support that they drop... and from your post, you can see why apple don't want to spend to much affort on PC's...

Rotshtein Danny - Studio Engineer

Jingles show-reel

Visit DarlingNikkie.com To discover the sounds of "Darling Nikkie"(aka Jade 4U). . . .

New exciting project Goddess of Destruction

[quote]Originally posted by d gauss: [b]hey all, i'm in a bit of a bind. [/b][/quote]Yeah, that'll happen if you eat too much cheese. Try to relax -it'll come... :mad: [quote]so....anybody got a copy for cheap/free? i'd be willing to trade you my pictures of winona ryder caught in the act.......[/QB][/quote]Ooooooh! :eek: Now your speak'n my language!!! I have two possible solutions to your problem: The Ethical one, and the UnnnnEthical one... Choose wisely. 1. See if you can purchase it from a classified ad or through a bid service such as Ebay. Fairly good bet that the PC versions aren't fetching "Top Dollar" anymore :rolleyes: . 2. Download a file sharing utility such as Gnutella or WinMX, and do a search for it. You'll find what your looking for. Oh, it'll have been desecrated, raped repeatedly by the very scum of the earth, and reek of cheap liquor and cigarettes. But it'll still [i]'perform'[/i] for you. And THAT'S all you really wanted isn't it? ISN'T IT!!! Now go... Sell your soul for a box of used rubbers and a cheap lighter... [i]These are indeed disturbing times.[/i] :cry:

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

[quote]Originally posted by Mr Darling: [b]So you're basicly not willing to pay for a program that does what you want?!..[/b][/quote]i never said that. i said BIG bucks. Sound diver appears to be way above and beyond what i need, and i'm sure that's why it costs so much. however it does support (and seems to be the only program that does) the 2 or 3 extremely old and outdated devices i am in need of controlling. (and no i don't need a sequencer, i just need a visual of the box on the screen for settings)...anyways, from what i gather, version 2.0 of this software will do the trick. (and regardless of what others say, i seriously doubt emagic is gonna do anything further on the PC platform) look at it this way..... let's say you can buy a brand new, loaded P4 computer for $499, well, all i need is a 486 to get the job done..... and how much is that worth? anybody got 2.0? -d. gauss

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mr Darling: BTW - No ever said Sound driver for PC will not be supported anymore - it's only Logic support that they drop... and from your post, you can see why apple don't want to spend to much affort on PC's...QUOTE] My undestanding is that they have discontinued sales of all Windows products. I'm pretty sure you can still get support but I don't think you can purchase copies of Sounddiver for Windows any more. It's Apple's sleezy attempt to get people to switch to MAC. That tactic alone is enough for me to know that I never want to own an Apple computer.

i know where you can get an lxp editor for free, its freeware. i use it on my lxp5 and i love it. all the internal controls are on the screen. you can do things never imagined before. i think it may work on the lxp1? or else they have one at the site that does, i think. i'll dig it up for you if you want.

DOH! i went and looked there, and they only have ONE available for lxp1. its a flexx interface and runs on windows 3.1 i have no idea if its worth using, but the lxp5 editor is good as gold and runs on windows 95. guess i am not much help SHUT UP ME :p

the pod version is only for the pod. its crippled. i used sound diver demo for a while, ITS JUST A LIBRARIAN. boring.. i had no interface to the gear other than send/recieve. an expensive program should have the machines interface on the screen, and you should be able to run the machine from the screen. a librarian is nothing more than a disk drive

What about just using any MIDI sequencer program for recording sys-ex information? d gauss, I'm not familiar with the gear you mentioned, but if there's a "transmit sys-ex data" function somewhere on it, you could use a sequencer to back up the info. Just hook up the MIDI cables and hit record on the sequencer... If you're just looking to back stuff up, then that's all you need. If you want to *edit* the information in your gear on your computer screen, then you'll definitely need some sort of librarian program.

d Gauss, give Guitar Center a call. A few months back my local store was blowing out their Sounddivers for $50 a pop, don't know if they were Mac/PC or both. They may still have some lying around somewhere.

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

No no no, SoundDiver is not just a library program, it's a universal editor, too, and a very good one. I use it to program new patches for my K2000 and my FS1R - can't be beat - all the ten jillion parameters editable right there on a 19" screen, all the memory your hard drive can hold. I set up a simple MIDI sequence to loop in my sequencer, and as it plays over and over I tweak the parameters real-time in SoundDiver and save a new file at every point I like something I hear. Fun, fun, fun. If only I could get paid for playing with it all day... It's not that expensive really - mow a few lawns are you're in business. M Peasley M Peasley

[quote]Originally posted by Goldmember Coaster: i used sound diver demo for a while, ITS JUST A LIBRARIAN. boring.. i had no interface to the gear other than send/recieve. an expensive program should have the machines interface on the screen, and you should be able to run the machine from the screen. a librarian is nothing more than a disk drive[/QB][/quote]Sounddiver is a full editor and librarian. I can completely control all parameters of a device from the computer screen.

Archived