Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pro Tools MIDI Interface!

crafty1

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure which products you're asking about...not the MBox, right? That's an audio USB box - the MTP and Unitor are MIDI interface/timecode sync boxes...do you mean the SYNC and MIDI I/O boxes from the PT/HD system?

Besides, I haven't even seen the new Alsihad...ummmPro Tools system yet. Yeah, I've read the specs, but I'll check it out more thoroughly later this week.

:confused: ,

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Affiliations: Cloud Microphones • Music Player Network 

Offhand, I would guess that Digidesign's MIDI I/O will be the best box for using MIDI with the upcoming ProTools rigs and software.

Now that everyone is writing proprietary code for their own MIDI devices, it's getting tougher to switch between DAWs without switching MIDI interfaces as well. What a hassle! :mad:

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

When you put together a high-end Digi system like this, you don't want lots of other software and sequencers loaded on the system. You try to keep it as stock as possible to minimize chances.

This is the first I've seen of the hardware, although I've been hearing about it for a while. I guess someone leaked it early. (I like how he writes that it "was the buzz of the show", past tense on a show that hasn't happened yet.) Although Digi systems have gotten much more reliable over the years, I would be nervous to be an early adopter of this system. I'm about to make a major Digi purchase for my studio - this always happens when I'm about to buy Digi hardware. I will probably go with the older system and hopefully get a deal on it.

One reason to go with a Digi system for MIDI is that it responds to clock changes. So if your clock slows down for some reason, say you're chasing a video deck, the MIDI stuff slows down by the same amount. Digi Time Stamping, we'll have to see about that. I'll be sure to check it out at the show.

-jl

Originally posted by synthetic:

[QB]When you put together a high-end Digi system like this, you don't want lots of other software and sequencers loaded on the system. You try to keep it as stock as possible to minimize chances.

I think that depends on who "you" are and what your needs are. If the computer requirements of your gig are fully met by ProTools, as is the general case for engineers, I agree with this approach.

On the other hand, when one needs ProTools, but also needs to do scoring, have VSTi integration, or requires advanced MIDI features that exceed ProTools abilities; it becomes imperative to have other software and sequencers on the same system as ProTools. Under those circumstances, it would be nice to have a MIDI device that can achieve peak performance with a variety of software.

Best,

Geoff

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

Archived