Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OUCH!

Mike Martin

I've been having a problem lately when I play keyboards. On the middle finger of my right hand, the fingernail is splitting away from the skin. The more I play, the worse it gets and its VERY painful (like getting stuck with a needle).

Anyone else have this problem. Is it a hand position issue? Am I cutting my fingernails too short (or not short enough)?

Any advice is appreciated.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
usually we keyboardists dont cut our nails short enough nor do we keep them in a well trimmed state. your problem is probably due to dry skin and heavy playing. see a manicurist and start applying aloe vera to your skin. aloe vera keeps your skin smooth and moist while not having the slippy side effects of skin lotion. i hope to one day write a book on hand care for keyboardists because it is such an over looked problem. best wishes, surfjazz

I feel your pain. I have a similar problem with the nail splitting right down the middle, though it usually happens when it gets caught on something (i.e., moving gear).

There are nail-strengthening vitamins that may help you out. I've used them in the past though I didn't pay much attention to how good they were. They're usually available at places like GNC and health food stores. You may need to look in the womens section as they are usually targeted at middle-aged/older women (I found out about them from my Mom).

Mike - Please stop at Roma's (on Cicero between Montrose and Irving Park) and eat a combo sandwich (w/grn peppers) for me when you get a chance. It's one of the things I miss most about Chicago, especially now that I'm a vegetarian.

Well, I don't think it's a problem with short fingernails. I bite my nails and I haven't had any problems. I'd lay off the keys for a day or two, use some nail stengthening lotion, and put a band-aid around it. See what happens.

Mike

Hi,

Do you play hard on the keys or use a lot the same finger?It happen to me when i play with rock bands and have to play harder to hear myself.Or in some gigs i have to trig a lot of samples and i use always the same finger.The solution is simple as cranking up the volume in the keyboard or change the velocity range.

Take care

Be careful when you cut your nails. Don`t bite them. If they`re too long, cut them just to the point where the nail won`t touch the keyboard. Nail strengthening lotion helps. Try playing synth-action keys if it hurts a lot.

I`ve had a few of these problems myself. As a bassist/keyboardist, I have had a LOT of cuts and blisters, but I have developed callouses that have taken away most of the pain.

You might try to start playing a stringed instrument if you want to develop callouses, because they are really useful, even if you have to go through a lot of pain to get them.

Originally posted by Mike Martin - Kurzweil:

Am I cutting my fingernails too short (or not short enough)?

It sounds like it could be fingernail-length related. How short do you cut them? My view on this is to keep them really short, so that when I hit a key, I hit it with the end of my finger, the fingernail rarely touches the keys. Also, keeping them really short keeps them from getting caught in the spaces between keys (it happens from time to time!), and they're out of the way when I do glisses and so on. I cut them right down to nothing. But be careful not to cut too short, it hurts! Leave about 1/64th to 1/32nd of an inch of nail.

But now that you have this problem, which sounds pretty serious, I would see a doctor.

I know most woodcarvers, when they accidently cut themselves, actually use a cyanoacrylate "Superglue" to glue their flesh back together, it works fine and apparently doesn't present a poison hazard. This might work in your case, especially if you have an important gig coming up or something.

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

Originally posted by botch@netutah.net:

I know most woodcarvers, when they accidently cut themselves, actually use a cyanoacrylate "Superglue" to glue their flesh back together, it works fine and apparently doesn't present a poison hazard. This might work in your case, especially if you have an important gig coming up or something.

actually super glue was created as an alternative to stiches... so it definatly does not have a poison risk.

now that there are differnt versions however id make sure which kind your buying

and tinderarts, jello shooters strenthen EVERYTHING :D

[ 01-14-2002: Message edited by: coren5555 ]

• 3 years later...
Originally posted by Mike Martin - Kurzweil:

I've been having a problem lately when I play keyboards. On the middle finger of my right hand, the fingernail is splitting away from the skin. The more I play, the worse it gets and its VERY painful (like getting stuck with a needle).

Anyone else have this problem. Is it a hand position issue? Am I cutting my fingernails too short (or not short enough)? Any advice is appreciated.

Hi Mike -- hope your finger is feeling better :D . I've experienced the same thing - the result of pounding your fingertips on the keys for extended periods. The skin breaks away and the fingertip is reshaped from it's natural arc to more of a straight line. No pain no gain. If you get lazy and stop practicing for any length of time, ouch, you have to start the process all over again. Some lucky people have square fingertips to begin with, others might never experience getting a really good grip on the keys - without surgery? Consider yourself lucky. :D
"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

When the nail separates from the underlying tissue (nail bed) it appears as if the white part of the nail is extending backwards and becoming larger. Most commonly this is caused by psoriasis or repeated exposure to detergents. 'Catching the nail' accidentally on something is also a common reason for this to happen where the nail is levered off the nail bed. Typing, or in this case 'playing' :) on a keyboard over time may have the same effect.

Getting older ;) or having the hands in water means the nails are likely to become softer. This often results in vertical splits appearing and extending from the tip backwards towards the cuticle. A good supply of iron and zinc is needed in the diet to keep the nails strong. Massaging almond oil into the nails helps to strengthen and protect them too. If the Nail is actually splitting vertically make sure you are getting enough Calcium in your diet also, which can help prevent split nails.

Most often "Hang Nails" are self-inflicted. Biting, chewing, or picking at the nails leaves ragged cuticle edges that catch on clothing and may allow infection to develop. Over-zealous and aggressive self-manicuring can result in the same problem. The individual is not always to blame, however, since cold weather that dries out the skin or having the hands in water a lot can cause the 'hang nails' to appear too.

Hope you get better soon.. http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de//happy/xyxthumbs.gif

Mike

I'm starting to feel bad for bumping this thread. I simply noticed it on the "recently viewed" page and thought it was interesting. Sorry Mike, for causing unnecessary concern!

Mike, I'll make a long story short. Back when I was 28 or so I used to tape my finger nails with white Johnson & Johnson tape. I would get blood under my nails and also had split nails. The root cause of my problem, I was approaching the keyboard incorrectly. I was playing with much more effort than was necessary.

As a result of all of this, I took 10 or 12 lessons with a concert pianist for technique. The bottom line, when you play the keyboard your other hand should be able flick the playing hand away from the keyboard in one fast motion. Place the non playing hand under the playing hand\wrist and in one quick motion, flick the playing hand away. If the playing hand stays locked in place, you are using the wrong set of muscles. If your _top_ forearm muscles tense up and you have to stop playing and shake out your arm, _you are playing incorrectly_.

I played incorrectly from age 12 to 28 or so and never had any teacher (even in college) say anything worth while. My playing is now effortless and I still thank that one teacher (who has since passed on to that great rehearsal room in the sky.)

If the above info does not apply, just ignore. If what I wrote does apply, consider studying with someone who can set you on the correct path. I was 28 when I realized I had been playing incorrectly; I was suicidal. A few months later my playing was effortless.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

I know I'm helping this topic to drift off slightly, but Dave's post is an important issue. I have also studied with some great teachers who taught me the same things about hand tension/body tension in general, and it helped me to relax my muscles to the point that I can play for MANY hours without a lot of stress.

if I ever had time to practice...

When I was in my early teens I studied with my first really good classical teacher (I was a rock and roller and looked down on anything classical - what I fool I was back then!). My teacher, Harry Knox at the Manhattan School of Music Prep. division, turned me on to this:

http://www.alexandertechnique.com/

Check it out - it's a great resource for anyone wanting to learn about body/muscle control and is of great interest to us musicians.

Enjoy.

Jerry

Yeow, this thread has really traveled.

Lots of good points; maintaining a balanced posture, using the natural force of gravity and the weight of your arms, loose wrists, preventive skin care, ...as I understand it, the original problem was fingernail tip that had split away from the finger. Not an actual split fingernail resulting from poor technique, or an inherent distaste for jello :D . I have experienced the same thing. In my case, the culprit was a 6 week time period in which to learn and commit to memory beethoven's choral fantasy. Listen to the opening pages and you'll see why I developed callouses on my fingertips and altered their shape. :freak:

Dear Mike,

This is rather bold of me to address you personally, but I'd like to confirm -- you were talking about a minor injury on this OUCH thread, similar to a paper cut? Painful, but not life threatening? It seems that people are picturing your nails falling off...

Thanks, and again my apologies for bumping the thread. Perhaps you could make an appearance and assure your well-wishers that you're a-ok. ;)

Sue

Just to give you a hard time, Sue :) :

Sue, Sue, Sue, why bump a dead, 3-year old thread? Much has happened since Mike fist posted that topic in January 2002. He's moved from Kurzweil to Yamaha, he's become Marketing Manager, and his nails have fallen off...(Hey, just kidding about the nails, aight! :D ) I imagine he found a solution or we'd be hearing more.

"Playing the piano is my greatest joy, next to my wife; it is my most absorbing interest, next to my work." ...Charles Cooke

Jazzyprof! You saved me. If somebody's not giving me a hard time, I cease to exist! Thankyou thankyou thankyou.

...I don't know why I bumped that thread...somebody else did, and I discovered it. You know who you are!

HVD, all. :love:

Hmm, didn't notice it was such an old post!

But for folks with fingernail issues, Superglue is a godsend. Note that it's away to deal with the symptom, and meanwhile you should address the cause as David mentioned above.

I normally play with pretty good form for an unschooled bloke. But when I've had one or two too many while playing Rhodes sound, I have a bad habit of forgetting it's not really my Rhodes, and try to get that "ounce more bark", playing very hard. Bad for my keyboard, bad for my nails! When I do this, I find I tend to curl my fingers a bit too much and bend the fingernail down, often cracking it just below the quick. Playing guitar, I've separated the nail at the quick. In either case, superglue is a great solution. It's also great when you've let your callouses go soft and need to play a marathon. Again, this is a stopgap and not recommended as a regular practice.

It's especially bad because I also play fingerstyle and classical guitar (not classical music, but using classical style more or less).

So, to help avoid problems, I make sure to file my nails carefully before playing (keyboards or guitars) -- filing is much better than cutting, if you have problems with nails breaking.

Gelatin was rumored by classical guitarists to strengthen the nails, but I don't believe Jello actually has any animal products in it. I also suspect that gelatin doesn't really help. Today, many fingerstylists use acrylic nails, seeing a manicurist regularly. I'm not a serious enough guitarist to bother with that, though. Rory Block sure sounds good with hers!

FYI: if you get it in your eyes, just cover the eye, take the best pain killers you can find, and let nature take its course. Within a few days your body will dissolve it. (Get medical help, of course, but don't let 'em cut or tear or anything -- just immobilize the eye and knock you out.)

Learjeff, since I moved to the Netherlands my nails have been rock hard - no splits whatsoever. I'm guessing it's the amount of cheese I eat over here. (Over here they do not individually wrap slices of cheese like I grew up with in the US. Also, cheese does not come in an areosol can.)

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

cheese does not come in an areosol can
Gak -- then HOW do you eat it? ;)

You mean you can't find real authentic "Processed Cheese Food-like Substance" over there? Shucks, I'll stay here in the good ol' US red states. Don't want none o' that bleeding heart liberal pinko cheese!

Maybe it's what you ARE eating over there, or maybe it's what you're NOT eating -- like PCBs, dioxin, mercury ...

Nah, it's the cheese. That other stuff must make us stronger, since it's not killing us.

Archived