Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bass Sounds

JonnyClueless

I like to try to dedicate certian gear for certian tasks. Right now the weakest link in my rig I think is bass sounds. I want to look into a dedicated module for bass sounds. Something along the lines of Minimoog type synth basses for pop oriented music (though not nesc limitted to that). I figured when I bought the XV-5080 it would probably have a lot of good bass stuff in it, but it's not quite what I was hoping for.

Can anyone recommend some things for me to look at? Also, I am more concerned about quality than price. I have some ideas on some things to concider buying, but I like to hear from others in hopes of maybe finding something I wouldn't have on my own.

Thanks!

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since you did not mention what type of bass sounds I am going to assume you mean ANY type of bass sound. The Triton rack may be your best choice for good bottom end and a variety of basses. The various ROM cards can expand your selection of bass guitar and synth bass. The MOSS card can go further with synth bass. I think you will find the Triton just a bit bigger on the bottom end than the Roland. You can also consider the E-mu P2K line. They have nice bottom end. If you are wanting only synth basses this may be the best choice.

Have you tried any of the samples available for Roland? There are some nice bass collections out there and the 5080 has plenty of available sample memory. You can also load samples into the Triton.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I do have a triton rack and I do love the bass sounds. I get concerned over sing it for too much though since it is limitted in voices. My dream rig would probably consist of 10 tritons like at some rooms i work at. The 5080 is maxed with ram so that might be a good idea to load some sample libraries into it (plenty of voices too).

Thanks for mentioning the emu too, that was one of the modules I was thinking of checking out!

Gee, if you're picky over the 5080, that's odd. It's very powerful and has a lot of voices. I'd think between its eq and adding a sub octave layer you'd have all the low end you could need. I guess listen to everything! There's plenty of VA synths like the Korg MS2000, Nord Lead or Modular, Novation synths, Virus, and there's a new Minimoog-like synth about to hit the market. You might wait for it, because it's supposed to be the STUFF. Old Moog sound, bottom end that won't stop, sweet Moog filters, quiet and stable. Oh yeah, Alesis Andromeda if you can afford it! I'd almost sell organs to have one. :D

[ 01-11-2002: Message edited by: synthguy ]

This keyboard solo has obviously been tampered with!

Try out the Yamaha 9000 pro. More expensive than your mom, but it does one hell of a job emulating real instruments. I tried the other day, and some of the acoustic patches, be it flute, saxophone or bass, are just amazing. Too bad it looks cheesy, with built in speakers and a ridiculous placement of modulator and pitch wheel. Check it out here

Gigasampler might be worth checking out as well. I`ve heard some frighteningly realistic sounds from it. Sampler cd`s aren`t exactly cheap though.Go here to find out more

Thanks Harp Heaven I'll check them out. I thought about just getting a bass guitar but I prefer something that I can use with a midi sequencer. Most of the electric bass patches I've tried so far sound OK but they still don't quite sound like a real electric bass.

For synth bass, you should look for a cheap analog synth. I true analog synth has a low end which extends down another octave below most sample playback synths. Since getting my Andromeda, I'm amazed how mid-rangey my Wavestation and QS-8 sound. You might look for a Novation BassStation or an Juno-106 or something along those lines. I think those are both true analog.

As far as real bass sounds, you might look into a sample CD-ROM. Many companies reduce the sampling rate on their bass samples so that they can squeeze more sounds into the limited ROM space. They samples you'll find on a sample CD are much clearer, and you also get cool slides and pops which you can throw into a track. I think the Roland JV-5080 will load Roland CD-ROMs, so you might look into Spectrasonic Bass Legends or Roland's Rhythm Section libraries. The Roland libraries also have a lot of synth basses.

-jl

As far as real bass sounds, you might look into a sample CD-ROM. Many companies reduce the sampling rate on their bass samples so that they can squeeze more sounds into the limited ROM space. They samples you'll find on a sample CD are much clearer, and you also get cool slides and pops which you can throw into a track. I think the Roland JV-5080 will load Roland CD-ROMs, so you might look into Spectrasonic Bass Legends or Roland's Rhythm Section libraries. The Roland libraries also have a lot of synth basses.

So I need to get something that plays CD-ROM's rather than just a sound module with internal sounds only. Right? I'm really just looking to imulate the basic bass sound you'd get from an electric bass player.

Maybe there's someone out there that has experience with 360 Systems' "MIDIBASS"?

These can be had pretty cheap, but I have never heard one. It's a module dedicated to BASS sounds. (I think it uses samples too, but not sure).

Carl

Archived