Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Choosing a 88 note Piano AGAIN!

JGStephenson

The keyboard shootout site is really great for hearing the differences. The RD700 samples I think are really poor compared with for ex. the cheaper P80 from Yamaha (or am I not hearing them right)? The notes seem to decay too fast.

I played a Roland FP3 in the shop and liked the feel, and I was ging to try out the RD700 - but not now.

So, what to buy?? The P80 seems like a good sound but the keys were not as nice as the the Roland FP3.

Could I run the VST pluggin The Grand on my laptop (through its built in sound card) and also do gigs? Messy...

comments PLEASE!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JGStephenson,

Might be a meter of taste. From all pianos at the shootout site, the Yamahas (P80-Calvinola P100) are some of the ones I disliked the most. Didnt like the sound of the Korgs either.

My favorite were some of the sampled pianos for virtual samplers or hardware samplers, the kurzweil and after those, the Roland.

I am not referring to keys, just sound.

Keep in mind that Yamaha has just released the P120, which is mostly a P80 with a set of internal speakers, but still about the same size. They changed a few of the sounds, dont know exactly what yet. I went to my local Guitar Center this weekend, but they didn't have any yet. If you are interested in a P80, check around for the P120.

The shootout is my site. I currently use the RD-700 as my main weighted-key controller. I don't play live anymore, just record in my studio. It sounds like you're looking for a good keyboard to use live. Take a closer look at the RD-700. The "Dynamic Pno1" preset is actually a blast to play. It's fairly bright, but is perfectly matched to the keybed. I use it all the time when I'm just playing around.

My way of thinking is that playability takes precedence over authenticity in choosing a keyboard for live playing. I always wanted instruments that I could really lay into, that would be highly responsive and would make it easier for me to play my best. In the studio, with MIDI, you can always replace the sounds with one that sounds better (or more authentic). At the end of the night would you rather have people say "that piano sure sounded real" or "man, you really burned up those keys." If you catch my drift.

Busch.

Originally posted by burningbusch:

Take a closer look at the RD-700.

I agree that the keybed on the RD-700 is nice. But how do you deal with the un-subtle velocity-switching on all the Rhodes patches? In fact, as I recall, the velocity-switching is even noticeable on the acoustic piano sounds of the RD-700.

For a gigging keyboard, I think the Yamaha P120 is now the one to beat. Nice piano sound, good keybed, reasonable carrying weight (41 lbs), good Rhodes sound. Well, actually, the Rhodes still has a noticeable velocity-switch, but it's much subtler than on the P80 or P200. This Rhodes patch is useable.

Originally posted by GuestUser@GuestUser.com:

I agree that the keybed on the RD-700 is nice. But how do you deal with the un-subtle velocity-switching on all the Rhodes patches? In fact, as I recall, the velocity-switching is even noticeable on the acoustic piano sounds of the RD-700.

For a gigging keyboard, I think the Yamaha P120 is now the one to beat. Nice piano sound, good keybed, reasonable carrying weight (41 lbs), good Rhodes sound. Well, actually, the Rhodes still has a noticeable velocity-switch, but it's much subtler than on the P80 or P200. This Rhodes patch is useable.

Based on some of your previous posts, velocity-switching seems to be a major annoyance for you. It rarely bothers me unless it's really noticable. I'm not saying the RD700 is better than the Yamaha, only that he should still consider the RD even if he wasn't thrilled with the sound of the piano at my site.

I'm not a fan of the stock Rhodes sounds on the RD but adding the Studio expansion board adds a very nice Rhodes (StudioRhodes). It's a bit weak in the bottom but the mid and upper ranges are very playable. I agree that Yamaha has a nice Rhodes patch. The advantage with the RD is that you can expand it with the SRX board (plus it comes with a lot more stock sounds than the P120), but it's quite a bit more expensive as well.

Busch

It rarely bothers me unless it's really noticable.

Well, ok, but on the RD700 (and many many other sample-based keyboards), it *IS* really noticeable. I don't want to beat this subject to death, but I had to point that out. :-)

I can appreciate that velocity-switching doesn't bother other people as much as it does me. Well, ok, I take it back - I can't appreciate it. But I'll try.

I love my Yamaha S 80 keyboard. It has a better keybed than the P80, and some great acoustic piano sounds and some exceptional Rhodes sounds.

I have also played the Yamaha Motif 8, which has a better keybed than the S 80. We are talking a bit of money here, though.

I'd like to know (if you can try these keyboards in the UK) what you think.

Happy hunting.

Steveedan

My way of thinking is that playability takes precedence over authenticity in choosing a keyboard for live playing. I always wanted instruments that I could really lay into, that would be highly responsive and would make it easier for me to play my best.

Busch.

I agree. When buying a keyboard, the "keyboard" comes first. Get something that feels good and plays well. In my view that is the base to any rig. In the future you can add sound modules to improve or vary your patch selection but you will want to keep a good, solid keyboard that you are comfortable with.

This post edited for speling.

Originally posted by Geosync:

I suggest the PC2X from Kurzweil. It did win the TEC Award.

George:

Please identify yourself as an employee of Kurzweil when speaking about your own products. Everyone who frequents this forum who is an employee of an MI manufacturer is requested to do so.

Thanks!

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Affiliations: Cloud Microphones • Music Player Network 

I am Kip McGinnis, sampled instrument sound developer and owner of Bardstown Audio.

I have just released the "Bosendorfer Imperial" Concert Grand Piano, Model 290 in Giga/HALion format. This piano will also be available in EXS24 format in the near future.

People who have evaluated this piano are extremely impressed.

For more information and MP3 demos, you can go to www.bardstownaudio.com

Thanks,

Kip McGinnis

Bardstown Audio

www.bardstownaudio.com

I will definately look at that sample since I love the Bosendorfer sound. I think I may just go the whole hog and get an RD700 and also some samples in Giga format to experiment with. My old Rhodes/M1 combination probably cost me a lot more than even these two options.

Re. the Kurzwiel PC2. I have discounted this keyboard because (a) it has a poor reputation for reliability (b) it is not supported well in the UK. c) the expansion possibilities are not there yet as far as I can tell.

NB I have placed an order with EuropeanMusician for the RD700 only to find that they can't deliver for ages. Seems like Roland don't actually have any in Europe. Anyone out there got a better source that can get it to me before Feb at the same price????

Jay

I'm playing an fp8 4 about 6 years and it never failed me. For recording purposes however I play it through my monitors and record it with mic's, it sounds better (to me)that way.

I like the touch also. Maybe its follow up is as good ?

Bye !

Archived