Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Is this bowl thing out of control?

tenthplanet

Even with all the different college football bowls they are still talking about a possible co-national champions, so my question is this bowl thing out of control. It doesn't seem to settle anything and they keep adding more bowls.

The pro's can come with a definitive super bowl; why can't college ball?

Michael :confused:

Q:What do you call a truck with nothing in the bed,nothing on the hitch, and room for more than three people in the cab? A:"A car"....

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was shocked at some of the match-ups this year, like Oklahoma ranked 10th against an unranked team in Arkansas! And tell me, did anyone outside of Ohio and Detroit watch the Motor City Bowl with Cincinnati and Toledo? Maybe Kentucky will get back in the bowl picture when the state creates The Thoroughbred Bowl. :P

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

The only bowl that I would want to see is the KEYBOARD CORNER/ MUSIC PLAYER.com BOWL ! We could have someone moderate the game instead of commentate the game ! Go TERPS *~* ! dano

Ps..... YES the bowl games have gotten out of control !

Anyone watch the Humanitarian Bowl ? How about a NERD BOWL ?

www.esnips.com/web/SongsfromDanO

This must have been the worst year for Bowl games. Every team that wanted to could play in one and most of them are corporately sponsored. I'm not holding my breathe cause when they decide to televise the Port-a-potty Bowl, I'm positive both teams will surely stink.

Yamaha (Motif XS7, Motif 6, TX81Z), Korg (R3, Triton-R), Roland (XP-30, D-50, Juno 6, P-330). Novation A Station, Arturia Analog Experience Factory 32

I have nothing but contempt for the BCS, BUT...why are you picking this year to slam it? Hold on a minute. If Miami wins tonight, there's just no question about and, maybe out of stupid luck, the system will have worked. BTW, if Nebraska wins a close one, my vote goes with Orgeon. They were the best team I saw this weekend, stifling the offense that racked up 60+ pts. against Nebraska.
Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Good point John, I think Miami will win and make it a moot point....kinda, but I think the REAL problem people have is that Nebraska was invited to this bowl in the first place after Colorado put 60+ on 'em. Miami should be playing Oregon tonight!
TROLL . . . ish.

Originally posted by tenthplanet:

The pro's can come with a definitive super bowl; why can't college ball?

Michael :confused:

Michael, as someone mentioned it's the size of the field of teams, but it's also that football can only be played once a week. A true tournament would eat up half the season, so there's a large subjective element in selection of a champion. To my mind *the* best championship tournament in all of sports, pro or college, is the NCAA basketball field of 64. The team that emerges from that gauntlet IS the champion, no matter where they were seeded, and though there are always complaints over the at-large bids, almost all the worthy teams get their chance. It's a thing of beauty, IMO.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Originally posted by Rabid:

did anyone outside of Ohio and Detroit watch the Motor City Bowl with Cincinnati and Toledo? Maybe Kentucky will get back in the bowl picture when the state creates The Thoroughbred Bowl. :P

I hear ya. That thing used to be called the Michigan Cherry Bowl. They changed the name a few years ago when they resurrected it. I personally do not like this new BCS setup. I guess I'm a diehard Big Ten fan and cannot get used to NOT seeing a Big Ten team in the Rose Bowl. The BCS seems to create more controversy than it solves.

My Big Ten teams ALL got spanked in bowls this year. And they call this progress?!? :confused:

RobT

RobT

Famous Musical Quotes: "I would rather play Chiquita Banana and have my swimming pool than play Bach and starve" - Xavier Cugat

Well, there it is.... Another year of the BCS getting let off the hook. Oh well I guess the ratings will have to work on our behalf to dismantle this BSC dog-poo!! I must say that this year has been the WORST, most lop-sided, boring crap festival of bowl games I ever remember seeing! Ya think the big red could have at least SCORED during the 1st half last night...guess not.

Here's to the NFL playoff's baby!!!

TROLL . . . ish.

Originally posted by meccajay:

Well, there it is.... Another year of the BCS getting let off the hook.

Really? I don't know Jay. It seems clear to me at least that BCS blew the Rose Bowl matchup. Oregon should have been there. I think that would have been a game to watch.

I'd like to see the BCS expanded to four teams and have a small tourney. Have the playoffs New Year's Day and the championship next Monday.

Only Division 1-A football uses bowl games, everything else from Division 1-AA on down uses a playoff system. I know 1-AA uses a 16 team tournament that no one seems to complain about. No one doubts the champion at the very end. Of course, replacing the bowl games with a tournament could take some of the big bucks away from universities and sponsors, which IMHO is the biggest hold-up.

Postman you are 100% correct about the Oregon thing!!

Johnnie all I can say is that it always comes down to money.

That's the good thing because I believe the ratings this year will show the lowest viewership in recent years and if that's true...It affects there money. It may take a while for things to change this way, because nothing will happen until the new TV contracts come around for negotiation and the networks demand more quality games/matchups, but it's a change indeed worth waiting for. Other than a split national champion, it's the only other viable option for change I can see happening.

TROLL . . . ish.

Archived