Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Harware VS. Software Instruments

Squids

Originally posted by CoolColJ:

STill when you play the Tx816 in person just for relaxtion, it just feels more staisfying, FM7 still has this "distant" software-synth syndrome. Oh well.

Colin

You know, that is sort of how I feel about my Nord Modular Rack. You can put together most any design you need and assign any of virtual knobs on the scren to the real controls on the front panel of the Nord, but for some reason it is not the same. I know it will never sound the same as a real analog modular, but beyond that, it just feels like I am playing a patch on a rack mount synth and all the nice moduls that were on the screen now mean nothing. Yes, I understand what you are saying. There is something other than sound quality that turns a collection of electronics into an instrument.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's true too. Sometimes just the postion of the knobs (let alone just having them) makes it a different instrument. I've owned many modulars in the past. Emu, Moog, Serge, EML, EMS, Buchla, Steiner Parker, Arp 2500 (what is my problem?) and each one had something unique about it not just from a sound quality standpoint but just the way it interacted with itself and you. There were wicked sounds that you didn't even know you could make just because you grabbed a few patch chords, twisted a few knobs and went for it (of course, you'd never get that exact sound again so sometimes sampling and recording is good to do as well if you want to take an audio snap shot of this beautiful thing).

The one thing some of the software lacks- particularly the powerful editable synths- are the spontaneous things that happen by moving knobs and sliders without necessarily having a "plan". You have to be very deliberate with the software which makes it less interactive and yes, more like playing a patch. But, you can assign controllers to things and get some of this interaction back. It's just that by assiging a controller that assumes that you would know to do it. On old analog modular synths there are sounds that you'd have no idea it could do by running an oscillator back into itself or other things.

Hey, has anyone had the lucky ability to compare the software TDM Access Virus to the hardware version? I am curious if it stacks up. I love the hardware module (would like to get a table top myself one of these days). I wish they would have made it into a VSTi though or at least RTAS. Anyone have it?

Originally posted by Bardstown Audio:

If you are wanting to emulate acoustic instruments, as opposed to electronic instruments, a software sampler is far superior with its many capabilities that a hardware sampler does not have.

Kip

Bardstown Audio

www.bardstownaudio.com

What capabilities are you refering to? Actually a lot of the hardware samplers like the Emu E4 and Kurzweil K2600 are way more complex in what they can do than the EXS24 and HALion for example. But, overall I think they are both good for acoustic instruments.

Software samplers have some advantages and one of them is the storage of your sounds on inexpensive massive hard drives. I just picked up a 100 gig Queue HD to bring to the NAMM show. Whew! My Akai S3000 can still only use a 500meg drive at MAX. Even our E4 can only use up to 20 gigs (which is still grea). But, my software samplers can utilize that whole 100 gig! Yeah baby!

BTW, I make sample libraries and demonstrate them at the show. So having all of my sounds on one easy to carry hard drive and a laptop just RULES if you ask me. But,. we'll also have an Akai and an EMU in our booth (and a Motif as well...can't get away from that cool hardware!)

Archived