Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Endorsements, Employment and Support

Pat Azzarello

I hope Dave and the rest of you don't mind me chiming in here.

First, let me say thank you to everyone for making this a great forum. I've learned a lot, and really respect the opinions of the other forum members. I'm a member and spend time here everyday because I love music and music/keyboard technology. This is a great place to be.

Second, please don't view this as a rant... it's really more of an opinion/clarification of things I've seen in a couple of other threads (that we're a little off-topic in those threads, but none-the-less important).

Endorsements I really like the fact that members talk about products they love/dislike in this forum. I've gotten a lot of great ideas and actually prioritized product purchases based upon things people have said here.

Employment Product endorsements do mean something different when they come from someone who works for the company they are advocating. I think it's important to let people know that a product your company sells, distributes, supports may be the solution to their needs, but it's very important that you disclose that you actually work for that company (either directly or indirectly).

Case in point: I would feel differently about Dave Bryce's support of NI's B4 if he actually received money from Native Instruments. That monetary relationship (or lack thereof) makes a difference in my mind.

In the same way I would value Jeff-Tascam Guy's comments on a Giga Studio solution higher than Joe Schmoe's because he works for the company that makes/distributes it.

Both sides of this coin are important.

Support Speaking of support...

I know that Dave Bryce has chimed in (thankfully) on a lot of Alesis questions, and other members have offered great support through this forum. Most of the time they state why their solution and their relationship has merit (who they work for, how it really works inside, etc.).

But just because we work for a company doesn't mean that we are the best people to support its' products. I work for a big software company, but I can't support everyone's soundcard conflict problems... if I tried I wouldn't have time to make music. However, I would certainly try to point you to the right source for that information. If there's a topic and I can help I will try. Some members may answer your questions with complete solutions or alternatively choose not to respond at all. Either way I think we should respect the amount of time they can dedicate to helping out.

[ 12-29-2001: Message edited by: PatAzz ]

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is not necessary to question Dave's integrity, believe me! I don't know about the others you mentioned, but I never sensed any pushing of brands or products. Besides, you have ears yourself, so you can decide on your own if someone says a product does sound great...

Oh, almost forgot: I work for the Dutch distributor of Alesis, Gibson, Beyer Dynamic, Rane etc.

I did some beta testing and sound design on Andromeda. (wich is an awfully good synthesizer!!! - end of commercial break) :D;)

:keys: My Music:thx: I always wondered what happened after the fade out?

Originally posted by Pim:

It is not necessary to question Dave's integrity, believe me! I don't know about the others you mentioned, but...

Whoa! I'm not questioning anyone's integrity here, especially Dave's (he's always handled these situations well). I don't know how you got that out of this thread. By default, I value members of this forums' opinions highly. Just thought it would be nice if people disclosed their relationships where appropriate.

And yes, I always try to use my ears before I buy, but some products don't have good demos or aren't distributed well. In these cases you can find out a lot more about products from people who have used them than you can from the product literature, demos, salespeople (who sometimes haven't seen the product) or soundbytes on the web.

Look, if you're gonna question Dave's integrity, you should just take it somewhere else!!! Dave does a great job here running this forum, and I don't think questioning Dave's integrity has any validity. As far as I remember, Dave has never launched a personal attack on you, and for you to come out of nowhere and jump on him is completely unwarranted. Remember, it was Jeff who failed to post the pool results in a timely manner. But why would you want to pick on him anyway? He doesn't write the code for Gigasampler, any more than Dave or Pim did for Andromeda. These are just some hard working guys, trying to offer a little friendly advice, and then YOU come along and start casting aspersions and questioning their character. Shame on you.

Originally posted by PatAzz:

Whoa! I'm not questioning anyone's integrity here, especially Dave's (he's always handled these situations well). I don't know how you got that out of this thread. By default, I value members of this forums' opinions highly. Just thought it would be nice if people disclosed their relationships where appropriate.

I believe the appropriate line here comes for the movie "Cool Hand Luke", and would be: "What we got here is a failure to communicate..." ;)

While I greatly appreciate being defended, I really don't think that Pat is attacking at all here. Pat has clearly stated that he has no intention whatsoever of questioning anyone's integrity. I believe (and I imagine that Pat will correct me if I am wrong) that his commentary stems from an exchange between dano and myself in another thread where I asked dano to please identify himself as someone who works for Ketron whenever he plugs Ketron products.

If you'll read Pat's post carefully, you will see that the reason for him starting this thread appears to be that this issue hit close to home for him - he (Pat) works for a major software manufacturer, which he chooses not to talk about here on the forum. Since he never ever plugs anything by that software manufacturer, I don't really see this as being any kind of a problem. It's very similar to steadyb, who also works for a software manufacturer, but doesn't talk about it on the forums either. Nor does he plug his company's products.

Once again, I really appreciate being defended. Now, let's drop the guns before somebody gets hurt, k? ;):):D

Thank you, gentlemen!

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

If you'll read Pat's post carefully, you will see that the reason for him starting this thread appears to be that this issue hit close to home for him - he (Pat) works for a major software manufacturer, which he chooses not to talk about here on the forum. Since he never ever plugs anything by that software manufacturer, I don't really see this as being any kind of a problem. dB

He never plugs anything, nor do the other members of this forum. Indeed there is no problem. I would say forget about it and close the subject.

:keys: My Music:thx: I always wondered what happened after the fade out?

Originally posted by steadyb:

Look, if you're gonna question Dave's integrity, you should just take it somewhere else!!! Dave does a great job here running this forum, and I don't think questioning Dave's integrity has any validity. As far as I remember, Dave has never launched a personal attack on you, and for you to come out of nowhere and jump on him is completely unwarranted. Remember, it was Jeff who failed to post the pool results in a timely manner. But why would you want to pick on him anyway? He doesn't write the code for Gigasampler, any more than Dave or Pim did for Andromeda. These are just some hard working guys, trying to offer a little friendly advice, and then YOU come along and start casting aspersions and questioning their character. Shame on you.

The above post was completely "tounge in cheek" and was meant only as a joke. To anyone who may have taken it any other way, ...sorry.

Archived