Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

...you won't feel sorry for yourself after you read this

Intheether

Okay, so the Friday before Christmas my car window was bashed in and some rat fuck took my radio. Well, the face at least, which the PD were kind enough to point out I should have removed. I'll be sure to remember that next time, assholes. So anyways, I was truly bummed to say the least, feeling violated as hell (It happened at 5, right in front of my house, alarm going off and everything...). Well, then I read that BT's whole studio was robbed, computers, keyboards, new compositions and all!!! You can read about it at

http://www.bt-network.org

I can only imagine how awful he feels. He's offering a huge reawrd, no questions asked, just so he can get his music back. Reading this put a silly $200 radio in perspective for me. This world can suck sometimes, but someone's always got it worse than you.

Peace on Earth ~nel

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That`s one of the reasons why I play my boards thru headphones more than anything. Petty criminals are a pretty stupid bunch. If you don`t remind them, they won`t remember to rip you off.

1. Use headphones whenever possible.

2. Turn the system off in your car whenever you are within a mile of home or an extended parking area.

3. Don`t display your cd`s, cause when there is cd`s, there is a player. Casey

"Let It Be!"

That sucks! BT is one of my favorite artists as of late, and a genuinely nice guy. Whenever he's interviewed, he's all about the technology and the gear - and the musicianship and musical knowledge to use it all right.

I met him last year, and he's really down-to-earth and personable. I hope they catch the bastard who stole it all!

KC,

I understand your point but in a way, it's like you're letting the assholes win. You should be able to blast music from your reference monitors, car speakers or stereo, freely. It's your stuff and yours to enjoy. I believe in my case it was just crappy timing - plain bad luck. But in BT's case, it sounds like a possible inside job. I'm sure his studio was sound proof, so unless you knew where it was and what was in it, you'd never know. I can't even imagine the total devistation and feelings of violation he's going through. I have heard and read about him in interviews (he was on the cover of keyboard a couple months ago) and he seemed so nice and, well, cool. I hope the piece of crap that stole his stuff pays big for his crime. Maybe he's stupid enough to post the songs as his own on a mp3 site or something. ~nel

I was kidnapped 7 years ago. Requested "rescue fee" was my entire beloved audio equipment. The studio one PLUS the PA system. You know... about 40 thousand bucks...

It was a nightmare. And it still sucks.

I do understand clearly how bad does BT can feel right now.

[ 12-28-2001: Message edited by: GusTraX ]

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

Originally posted by GusTraX:

I was kidnapped 7 years ago. Requested "rescue fee" was my entire beloved audio equipment. The studio one PLUS the PA system. You know... about 40 thousand bucks...

It was a nightmare. And it still sucks.

[ 12-28-2001: Message edited by: GusTraX ]

What the... I was about to post about the fact that I had some equipement stolen three times (I lost two electric pianos and a customized Gallien-Kreuger stereo amp system), but this really sucks! KIDNAPPED?! I feel for you, Gus... Couldn't you do something to trace down those Teste di Cazzo? (sorry, I don't know a strong enough English word to define people who kidnap a *musician* to have his gear...!!)

Carlo

Originally posted by marino:

What the... I was about to post about the fact that I had some equipement stolen three times

Carlo

To change the subject slightly. Any recommendations on insurance policies? What is peoples experience on collecting on claims? Who can you recommend? I am currently "self-insured" and I need to fix that.

With one exception my gear is pretty generic and easily replaced. Do any of the companies recognize unique pieces of gear that may be hard to replace in any way?

Originally posted by marino:

Couldn't you do something to trace down those Teste di Cazzo? (sorry, I don't know a strong enough English word to define people who kidnap a *musician* to have his gear...!!)

Carlo

Nope... it was a "Viva Mexico" shit... ya know... fake-policemen asking for money "to get them quickly" ... fxck... i lost 40 grand and they -The police!!- asked me for money to cath the bastards...

So I let it go... but I if ever meet them... poor guys...

I wish I was BatMan... or sort of...

Thanks for asking, Carlo.

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

Originally posted by Byrdman:

To change the subject slightly. Any recommendations on insurance policies? What is peoples experience on collecting on claims? Who can you recommend? I am currently "self-insured" and I need to fix that.

With one exception my gear is pretty generic and easily replaced. Do any of the companies recognize unique pieces of gear that may be hard to replace in any way?

For years, I always had my studio equipment and instruments listed as scheduled items on my homeowner's policy. Recently, it was pointed out to me that my insurance was not worth "two cents," considering there is a clause in all homeowner's insurance policies, which states that any items used for business purposes are excluded. An insurance company would use this clause in a "heartbeat" in order to weasel out of paying a claim, even though they knowingly accepted many thousands of dollars in premium payments from me over the years for these scheduled studio equipment and musical instrument items.

Considering this situation, I shopped around with many different insurance companies over a two week period. Only one insurance company out of ten would even consider writing such a business equipment policy on studio recording equipment and instruments. I quickly got the impression that insurance companies equate people who own studios and studio equipment as being sleazy, trashy, low class, drug addicts, or if they do not personally fall into this category, they would at the very least have dealings with these sort of people and bands, and would be extremely high risk for such insurance policies, even though I personally fall into the extreme opposite category and personally do not have any dealings with these sort of individuals or bands.

When you find an insurance company who will consider this type of policy, the premiums are staggering. Insurance companies are using excuses such as September 11, in order to really stick it to certain other categories of people. Several insurance agents actually admitted this to me when I questioned them about such things.

Your best bet is to check with an insurance agent/company who has experience with you as a homeowner's/auto client. I personally found this to be the most reasonable for me, even though the premiums are still of a staggering amount.

This type of insurance is difficult to afford, but many of us cannot afford to be without it.

Kip

Bardstown Audio

www.bardstownaudio.com

i know separate equipment insurance may be a bit expensive, but if you take your gear around a lot then it's worth it. i could probably cut back on a few things of mine i have insured, but i'll always pay for stuff like my wurli 200A, my xp-50, bass and fender 100w amp. crappy $200 guitars can be avoided perhaps. yes i hope everything that got flogged will get returned. remember the great Judge,......nothing goes unnoticed. justice is always done one way or another.....(including mr. bin laden)

pray for peace,

kendall

p.s. feel sorry for this bloke

"Consider how much coffee you're drinking - it's probably not enough."

Originally posted by GusTraX:

[QB]

Nope... it was a "Viva Mexico" shit... ya know... fake-policemen asking for money "to get them quickly" ... fxck... i lost 40 grand and they -The police!!- asked me for money to cath the bastards...

So I let it go... but I if ever meet them... poor guys...

I wish I was BatMan... or sort of...[QB]

Sorry to hear that, Gus. Unfortunately this kind of stuff happens in brazil as well. Nobody in my family; but I've seen it happen to some friends. I did manage to escape from what seemed like one though. Thank god for my mom's 4.1 liter 6 cylinder station wagon at the time :eek:

My parents house was broken into 5 years ago. I wasn't here, but it sucked neverthless.

[ 12-30-2001: Message edited by: Rod CA ]

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Archived