Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

A

Six Black Roses

Here's my advice (whether you want it or not): Don't sweat it.

Finish high school. Get a college degree. And by all means keep playing. If you are truly a musician at heart, you won't have any choice: you will do it for a living. Otherwise, playing music as a "hobby" will enrich your life in ways that non-musicians can't hope to understand... even if you never make a dime at it.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know whether "giving your life to music" at the expense of all other things is right for your or not. Only you can decide that, and you don't need to decide right away. You're fifteen. If your objective is to become a celebrated concert pianist, it's already too late. But for many musical endeavors, people who've started in their twenties, thirties, and even later have become successful. It's not a do or die decision.

What you DO need to decide upon if you want to get ANYWHERE is how dedicated you're going to be. Are you dedicated to doing the hard work that it takes to progress and get better year after year? Are you balanced enough to handle rejection and negative feedback as catalysts for growth? Are you mature enough to follow the advice of teachers even if they appear to know less than you do about some aspect of music? (Hey, nobody knows EVERYTHING, but the teachers know lots of IMPORTANT things.) Are you serious enough to do difficult and uncomfortable things like learning sight-singing? Are you devoted enough to stick with your musical vision for the long haul, regardless of whether you end up making millions or pocket change? If you can answer these questions honestly in the affirmative, then you will meet with success one day, no matter what course your life might take.

[ 01-06-2002: Message edited by: Dan South ]

The Black Knight always triumphs!

I checked the link with the girl.

OMFG!!!

What can I say? Incredibly gifted. I would suggest taking a listen to her, Six Black Roses, because she is one person that obviously has a great life ahead of her as a composer. She is one of the few persons who could have posted the question you asked, and got a "yes", based on what the listener thought about her MUSIC.

I would like to tell a story of mine. I have a tiny bit of contact with a 17 year old natural at violin. Virtuoso in terms of technique, though he has hardly practiced it. A talent beyond my wildest imagination, can play piano and synth better than I can, even though he never practices. He can actually play almost any instrument ever made, be it wind, brass, string. But thats the only thing he`s good at. Music is the only choice he has.

Me, I am not an especially gifted guy. From what I`ve heard on your recordings, you`re not a talent of the kind that draws attention in the huge music world. I will suggest doing as the other people here told you to, keep it cool and don`t sweat it. Have a normal life, do music as a hobby, and when you feel you`re good enough, start getting gigs or get in a band. Having FUN with it is what matters for you...

in agreeing with harpheaven: (to no one in particular)

no matter who you are, there will always be someone better than you. even if you are the best in the world (and who decides that?), someone will get to your level one day. when you are the centre of attention and someone better comes along, then you know humility, whether you accept it or it is forced upon you. and when it happens to proud people like myself, then you have to take a good look at yourself and find out who or what you're doing it for.

[sobering i know]

pray for peace,

kendall

"Consider how much coffee you're drinking - it's probably not enough."

this is a good thread with lots of great words.

i also think its neat how this forum balences between

1) threads of group insight such as this

2) technogical debates

3) searing football battles

:D

as to your question, you'll find that "how far will i go" will eventually disipate into nothingness. but you know this already.

music is a journey and one is enivitably caught up in its grasp somehow

i am, like yourself, a musician with profressional aspirations. practising many intsruments, going to recording college, and thinking of going to music college... or not.. maybe just move to calgary and continue with solo projects..

and in the end, does it matter? not for a second...

whether i make it to a "professional" level or just continue working at extra foods to support my "habit" it never matters..

itll take me (and you, and has taken all these wise people) on some journey to new experiances

have you ever walked home from a friends house, and, upon reaching your own house, felt dissapointed, because the journey was over?

Originally posted by Six Black Roses:

http://www.mp3.com/sixblackroses

I'm self-taught, teaching myself for 6 months. I'm a guy. Can I get very far?

I'm not talking pop-star either. I mean something like a person who's known for his music and not looks... Look at Elton John... he's known... not very beautiful... but he's known.

Can you get very far?? No one, not even you can know for sure,only time will answer that question. I strongly suggest you find a great teacher (beware of crappy ones) and study jazz piano, even if you don't like jazz, it will do wonders for you. Great teachers are HARD to find. Best players and composers in the world and in history all had great teachers. Cuz you can only teach so much from yourself...believe me. If you go to a school like Musicians Institute or Berklee...like I did, you'd be amazed how the "more you know, the more you DON'T know."

BUT, If you really still want to just learn from yourself, I think you can still be great if, and ONLY IF You have great ears. Watch, go to the piano, play ANY three note, then sing out loud the middle note and then all three tones, then try playing any four notes and do the same. See if you can do it. If you can't hear it, you can't compose it. If you're ear can only hear simple melodies, it will only compose simple cheezy melodies. Mozart did't just accidentally played all those rich harmonies by accident, he heard all those complex sequence of harmonies and tones in his head FIRST. SO, Work on EARTRAINING, IT is the MOST important skill for the musician, composer, etc...and it is ALMOST ALWAYS overlooked (cuz it's extremely boring to practice it). I suggest you go to www.eartraining.com and order the perfect pitch and relative pitch course....it's worth the money, trust me. I'm not talking about being able to just know when you hear a major 9 chord or minor 9 chord. That's easy, almost everyone can do that. I'm talking about getting it to a level where you can hear the "G" in the C major 9 chord, or the "F" in the "G7 flat 13" chord.

So if you're serious and you don't get a teacher and even worst, ignore eartraining....i promise you, you will be an amateur for life. ;)

[ 01-07-2002: Message edited by: NoKompetition ]

Archived