Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Powered JBL G2's

Dan O

Hello to all,

I plugged in my keyboard into the new 10" JBL G2 powered speakers today ( $499.99) . Tremendous sound quality . Has anyone else tried EON's vs. Keyboard amp ? Dano

www.esnips.com/web/SongsfromDanO

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I haven't tried 'em, but I will. I currently use a pair of Mackie SRM-450. Good sound, if a little bit dry and analytical, but sheesh are they heavy, and they hate to ride on hand trucks.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

Originally posted by dano:

Hello to all,

I plugged in my keyboard into the new 10" JBL G2 powered speakers today ( $499.99) . Tremendous sound quality . Has anyone else tried EON's vs. Keyboard amp ? Dano

I had a bad experience with the 10" G2's. I've been using 10" original Eons (G1's?) for a couple of years now, and really like them, but I wish they had more power and volume. So I thought the 10" G2's would be perfect. I bought a pair, and on the first gig I used them, one of them started cutting out all the time, as soon as it got loud. And I'm not talking rock concert loud here, just a gig in a hotel banquet room for about 200 or 300 people. Besides I was using two of them. Anyway, it seems they have some kind of overload protection in them where if it sees a loud signal, or maybe a clipped signal (I was also having problems with my mixer that night), it just cuts out. To me, that was the end of the G2's, I had to take them back. I would rather damage the tweeters than have them just cut out. It was embarassing.

I'm not saying they're all like that. I might have just gotten a bad one. But still. I'm back to using my original ones, and still looking for something better.

Have you had any over heating problems with the MAckie's ? Dano

I have not with mine, but I cannot claim to have driven it that hard (you can drown out guitarists without pushing it!)

Have others seen problems? I am interested to know - I need to expand my rig and was thinking of buying at least one more and maybe two so I can use two as mains and one as a floor monitor.

The bit about not sitting on hand trucks is true. On the other hand they don't weigh much more than unpowered monitors of the same power rating - and with the SRM450 in one hand and the weighted 88 in the other, I balance! (just keep me well away from the blue and white china)

I haven't had any heat problems with my SRM's, although last Saturday I did blow a fuse on one, which had to do with dirty power at the venue, I think. Discovered a minor PITA about the Mackies, which is that you have to pull the whole amp module to get at the main fuse, so out came the power screwdriver.

My band tries pretty hard to keep stage volume reasonable and let the FOH engineer bring us to the crowd. Even the geetarist. Probably why I haven't heated 'em up.

At risk of moving a little OT, who has what they consider to be a bitchin' warm, hi-fi keyboard monitoring setup onstage? I've always been struck by how little we keyboard players obsess over the tone of our amps when compared to bassists and guitarists. Anyone using the MoSo KBR-3D? How about something intended for another instrument, like a high quality bass rig?

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

Hey Dave ,

Can you tell me a little more about Barretta amps ?

Price range , size etc...... Can I see them at NAMM ?

And what about Motion sound ? Have you ever messed with them ?

dano

Originally posted by SteveFortner:

At risk of moving a little OT, who has what they consider to be a bitchin' warm, hi-fi keyboard monitoring setup onstage?

I use a pair of Mackie C300's, which are the unpowered but otherwise identical versions of the 450's. I have a QSC power amp that drives them, which is fed from the output of my line mixer. I like to set the speakers as far apart as possible for the max stereo spread. I love the way this rig sounds! :)

I've always been struck by how little we keyboard players obsess over the tone of our amps when compared to bassists and guitarists.

I think that's mostly because modern keyboards sound so good on their own that we just want a sound system that doesn't change or color the sound. That's why I love my rig, because it's so sonically neutral.

BTW, they ride better facing each other on top of a horizontally laid keyboard case, which rides on a Rock `N Roller type cart. ;)

Peace all,

Steve

[ 12-27-2001: Message edited by: SWBuck1074@aol.com ]

><>

Steve

Hey Dave ,

Can you tell me a little more about Barretta amps ?

Price range , size etc...... Can I see them at NAMM ?

And what about Motion sound ? Have you ever messed with them ?

It's Barbetta, not Barretta...

Check out the link that I embedded in my last post - there's quite a bit of info there.

I imagine that they'll be at NAMM...

Yes, I've played with the Motion Sound stuff. It's very nice. I'v never done an A/B against the Barbetta stuff, though.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Ok ok Barbetta ..... I still need to get this pulling down the quote stuff . I am a computer moron to a certain extent .

I think Barretta sounds cooler . They could have a little parrot with it like the TV show ! dano

Why compare the 10" EONs to the Mackies? Less power, less weight, less bass, less money. Full size EONs are similar weight, power, etc. to SRM450.

I've tried a lot of amps and I think the sweetest sound is the pair of SRM450s I'm using now. I use a Bellari tube exciter after the mixer and I think it warms things up just right.

Archived