Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

please as soon as possible!

mte

I have a terrible problem: When I let my Korg M1 be on cold (e.g. when carrying it from home to rehearsals or gig place), and then when I turn it on, there's only terrible scratching sound coming out, but when it warms up everything goes ok. And every time it requires more and more time to warm up...

This wouldn't be such a disaster if we wouldn't have a gig tomorrow morning in a discotheque (morning at slovenia, central europe), where it's been very cold today.

I've been to a technician, who said he doesn't have time to look at it, but he said there might be problems with electricity. Is it possible that it's because of the power cable (no I haven't treated it so gently ;) ? Or do you think there is a more serious thing? Do you think it would help trying to warm up the keyboard on the place where the power cable goes (well i don't mean the hole where it goes in ;) )with just a simple thing as a lighter is? Or would it only damage something inside?

Thanks very much for any help and please tell me what I should try ;)

Matej

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All electric / electronic equipment have a temperature range to operate in optimal conditions. I had the opposite problem, while playing on a beach where the sun got my keyboard so hot it actually hurted my fingers and it started acting weird until i turned it off and let it chill out a little.

You should have a case with foam inside to keep -besides of protected against shocks- the keyboard "warm".

I'd suggest you to keep the M1 with you all the time, in your dressing room or the band wagon AND turn it ON several minutes prior to the gig and let it turned on until the gig ends.

Any other?

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

Originally posted by mte:

I have a terrible problem: When I let my Korg M1 be on cold (e.g. when carrying it from home to rehearsals or gig place), and then when I turn it on, there's only terrible scratching sound coming out, but when it warms up everything goes ok. And every time it requires more and more time to warm up...

Matej

Cold electronic devices don't like being taken into a warm room and turned on. The reason is that condensation forms on the cold circuit components when they make contact with the warm and somewhat humid air. Of course I don't know if that's actually the cause of your problem, but I'd strongly advise letting the keyboard warm up to room temperature (which causes the condensation to evaporate) before turning it on.

[ 12-20-2001: Message edited by: Postman ]

I second postman's advice. My experience with electronics is that you should always let it reach room temperature, or at least a stable temperature that is well within its operating range.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Archived