Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Lord Of The Rings - the movie

Pim

I read the book more than 15 times. Great book!

I just come home from the movie theatre. Great film!

It's like a rollercoaster ride. Go see it. The music sounds great, frightening, goosebumps-generating.

Just go, sit back - and don't be afraid, it's just a movie. Those orks aren't under your bed....

:keys: My Music:thx: I always wondered what happened after the fade out?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

rrrrrrr i wanna see that so bad! :D:mad::D

i read the book early in my youth, and it catapulted me into the whole genre ( coren and xar are characters in series of books called the death gate cycle, by margert weis and tracy hickman-READ IT!)

im glad they did a good version, they forced us to was that cartoon in elementary school and it was the most horrible rendition ive ever seen...

now they just have to make a few more movies....

-the wheel of time

-the sword of truth (terry goodkind)

-david eddings books... (like polgara)

-ANY R.A. salvatore book, preferably about drizzt..

-the death gate cycle :D

i hope to see it soon.

how was the films score? (in order to remotly make this associated with music... :D )

I went to the Hollywood premiere on Sunday night. That was pretty seriously cool. The director and cast was there, the after party catered by Wolfgang Puck, and of course this awesome film I've been waiting a year to see. I owe my friend some major favors for those tickets. I plan on seeing it several more times. -jl

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

I, too, have just come from the movie.

dB

... it seems we have AGAIN a "synced" experience.

Logic dictates me this is normally impossible.

B.t.w: what are you and I handsome compared to these orks, aren't we?

I saw it this afternoon, and was blown away. I went in with lower expectations, given the limitations of film to capture the true essence of a book. It was fabulous. So many of the scenes were spot on, and the "feel" I got coming away from the movie was the same as the books each time I read them.

I was actually surprised how much I liked Liv Tyler (my biggest concern in the cast) and Cate Blanchett was simply the best Galadriel I could imagine.

The only bad thing is that now we have to wait a year for the second installment.

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

Originally posted by shniggens:

I haven't seen any reference to Gollum in the previews. Is Gollum's character in the movie?

Yes, he's in there, but only a very little bit.

I just saw it this morning. I thought it was very well done, but 3 hours was more time than they needed to do it in. The sets were beautiful, the score was great, the action scenes were great, the FX were amazing, but there was a little too much unecessary stuff at the beginning with BB Baggins I thought and some of the other slower paced scenes could have been eliminated without missing anything.

Overall, I liked it, but I also felt a little disappointed at being left only 1/3 of the way through the story after sitting that long. Some of the battles, like the wizard battle would have been much better if a bit longer too.

I have to wait till Jan 1st till it comes out in Brasil :mad:

Actually, this is not too bad. It used to take month and months to get stuff released here...

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

It doesn't come out here in the Philippines until Jan 4! Of course there's a premier tonight, and of course I have to work! :mad:

Ah well. It's been awhile since I've read the book, also multiple times. And I'm holding out from reading it again until after I see the movie. That way after I get pissed off that it hasn't ended, I'll go read the next two books of the trilogy. :cool:

Although what I probably should do is read The Silmarillion again so that some of the characters like Galadriel and Gandalf will have that depth that many people don't know about.

Anyway, glad you's liked the movie, so I can at least up my expectations a bit instead of expecting the usual huge disappointment with book-to-movies stuff.

Raul

Originally posted by Gulliver:

Wow... it seems like I am the only one person here who couldn't read Silmarillion to its end. It was 10 (or so) years ago. Should I try again? No, thanks. I'd better watch the movie!

yea you should read it through.. its a good experiance

Originally posted by Gulliver:

Wow... it seems like I am the only one person here who couldn't read Silmarillion to its end.

You are not the only one. Although this was a good 20 years ago, I remember burning through "The Hobbit" and the whole "Lord" trilogy...but just couldn't deal with the excruciating detail of "Silmarillion". It's the prequel from hell, AFAIC.

- Jeff

Ditto on Silmarillion. I was in 8th grade when I read LOTR trilogy hot on the heels of the Hobbit, and I was really eager and excited to read Silmarillion, but didn't get past the first chapter before tiring of it. It seemed like it was written by a whole different author!! :)

I've thought about going back to it, but I have to finish the rest of the Dune series first, and I'm secretly hoping the movie will come out before I have to wade through Silmarillion again. :)

Hmmm. Interesting. I was fascinated by Silmarillion. I must have been the geekiest of the geeks (everyone on this thread? :D ) . But yeah, the details and the names were really a lot, but when you can wade through that there are some absolutely fascinating stories within.

The reason I brought it up is it made Gandalf into a not just another wizard character, and Saruman as well, which could make viewing it a little better, dunno. Ok...MUSICplayer forum....

Check out the Stephen Donaldson books, the Thomas Covenant series and the new one (what's the name...)

Ranks up there with L of the Rings.

Raul

Originally posted by Dogfur:

Yeah, I balked halfway through the Silmarillion as well...

Yep. Me, too. Didn't dig it. I just kept waiting for it to take off, and it never did.

...and the Elves called it Beeblebrop, which in the old tongue meant Horzengnash, and they loved it dearly....so they went out and found Yippleblip, which they called Snorgenflang, which they wrote on the walls of the Dumflarg...and they loved it dearly...etc etc etc...

....zzzzzzzzzzzzz...

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

Yep. Me, too. Didn't dig it. I just kept waiting for it to take off, and it never did.

...and the Elves called it Beeblebrop, which in the old tongue meant Horzengnash, and they loved it dearly....so they went out and found Yippleblip, which they called Snorgenflang, which they wrote on the walls of the Dumflarg...and they loved it dearly...etc etc etc...

....zzzzzzzzzzzzz...

dB

LOL, sounds almost, I say almost that is, as bad as James's Finnegan's Wake.

LOL, i suppose :D

but it dosnt really "take off" in the traditional sense...

but it does give you ALOT of stuff to remember, more happens in one chapter than in half the LOTR.. just takes alot of attention

Should check out some of his other ones to though, like Unfinished tales. Christopher tolkiens history of middle earth (i think its 12 books??) is interesting as well

Saw the movie last night- the audience was atrocious. Handy's beeping numerous times, complaining and griping, blah blah blah. "Absurd" and "Insulting" were some of the loudly voiced comments at the end.

Anyway I found the film excellent. As a LOTR geek, I was prepared to be disappointed by a measly 3 hours, but the cuts and changes were in general cleverly and wisely made. JRR himself conceded that the Bombadil character could easily be cut from LOTR, and I completely approve of swapping out Glorfindel for Arwen. There's no reason not to show the Aragorn-Arwen romance rather than allude to it and even the geekiest of LOTR geeks should be pacified by the ballsy decision to leave the Elvish in.

The translation into German was completely transparent- no surprise there given the nature of the English and other languages in the books.

Hmm, best not get me started :D Someday I'll get all 3 movies on DVD and be able to enjoy them like I enjoy the books, over and over again with a beer and a pipe.

Still think Ian Anderson should have done the soundtrack though.

-CB

I saw the film this evening and came away VERY impressed. I can't recall a film that I've enjoyed more. Titanic, Braveheart, Crouching Tiger, Star Wars, Jurassic Park - forget it. They look like student films compared to 'Fellowship'.

Lest you think I'm some rabid Hobbit nerd, I'm NEVER read any of the books. I didn't even know what the story was about. I went in cold and came away with two enthusiastic thumbs up. WAY up!

By the way, the director, Peter Jackson - I've never heard of him before. Who is this guy who can waltz in out of nowhere and direct a movie of this calibre? How did he get his backing? On second thought, WHO CARES? I'm just glad that he was at the helm and this this project wasn't reduced to a lame star trip for some "personality director." Robert Zemeckis is the only other director I can think of who could have approached this level of filmmaking, but 'Fellowship' eclipses even HIS finest use of compelling plot and advanced digital effects.

In a word: BRILLIANT!

Originally posted by Bobro:

The translation into German was completely transparent- no surprise there given the nature of the English and other languages in the books.

-CB

You mean German subtitels? Or do they work with German voice-vers?

I hate voice-overs, picture this: John Wayne as a sherrif saying "Hände hoch, sonst knalt es!" :eek:

I prefer subtitling.

You can experience the original actingwork and when there is a word you don't understand, there are always the subtitles as support.

Wow...

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Here's a responsible opposing viewpoint...

I have just come back from seeing it a second time, and I liked it better the second time than I did the first...and I loved it the first time that I saw it.

I may not have studied film-making, but I consider myself to be an avid film fan. I see a ton of movies, and I own literally hundreds of them. I don't know what's right from an educational standpoint; however, I know what I like, and I think this film is extraordinary. I think the acting is wonderful, the effects are beyond belief, the cinematography is spectacular, and the score is magnificent. I didn't notice any of the things that bothered popmusic.

I think that they did a great job bringing this epic story to the screen, and I think that Peter Jackson deserves an Oscar for it. So does Ian McKellan. I can't remember seeing a movie that I have enjoyed as much for many years...

Further, as someone who has read the books more times than I care to admit, I found Jackson's vision of the story to be obviously full of love for Tolkien's tale, and as faithful to the original story as any book -> film that I have ever seen (A Clockwork Orange and Andromeda Strain are also pretty faithful to the book, IMO).

I think it is a breathtaking piece of work.

Hey, brother pop - I'm curious what you consider to be a great movie...I'm not picking on you, I'm just trying to get a point of reference. I sincerely hope that you're not one of those peope who think that Citizen Kane is one of the greatest movies ever made - I think that film is so over-rated...

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

pop - With all due respect, I don't agree with your assessment. I can't STAND the MTV-era, NYPD Blue-style shaky handheld camera approach. I didn't notice that in a single scene of TFOTR. There was one shot that followed the butterfly as it flew down into the forge, but that was an isolated special effect.

You seem to be making a mountain out of a molehill here. If you didn't care for the movie, that's fine, but I think you're attaching way too much weight to a technical attribute that was extremely subtle at its worst. I thought the camera work in Crouching Tiger - a film that you and I both enjoyed - was far more motion-sickness-inducing than the cinematography in TFOTR.

I have just come back from seeing it a second time, and I liked it better the second time than I did the first...and I loved it the first time that I saw it.

I'm not surprised. I'll have to catch it again in a week or two. It's just so amazingly beautiful - I have to see it on the big screen at least once more.

I may not have studied film-making, but I consider myself to be an avid film fan. I see a ton of movies, and I own literally hundreds of them.

Ditto.

I don't know what's right from an educational standpoint; however, I know what I like, and I think this film is extraordinary. I think the acting is wonderful, the effects are beyond belief, the cinematography is spectacular, and the score is magnificent. I didn't notice any of the things that bothered popmusic.

Double ditto.

I think that they did a great job bringing this epic story to the screen, and I think that Peter Jackson deserves an Oscar for it.

I'd be astounded if anyone else were to get it.

I can't remember seeing a movie that I have enjoyed as much for many years...

I concur, once again.

(A Clockwork Orange and Andromeda Strain are also pretty faithful to the book, IMO).

Clockwork was one of those rare films that was even a little bit BETTER than the book. I've never read any of the LOTR books, so I can't comment on book/film agreement, but I haven't heard many complaints. For a book with such a deep cult following, that's absolutely remarkable.

I think it is a breathtaking piece of work.

Astonishing.

I sincerely hope that you're not one of those peope who think that Citizen Kane is one of the greatest movies ever made - I think that film is so over-rated...

I heard that they're going to rename Citizen Kane to "The Kane Drudgery." ;)

Pop:

You're certainly entitled to your opinion. I won't fault you for that. In fact, with the exception of the Lucas Films, (which use both the long shot and the quick jump) you back up your argument with good examples. You're obviously a fan of the "long shot," with tons of dialogue, exposition, or choreography, and little more than face to face switches, if that.

What I found amazing about the movie was how it felt just so "right" compared to the books. In our mind's eye, we each come up with a visual of what the scenes look like, and it seems to me that Jackson did such an incredible job of capturing that for so many people. For me, the slow parts of the book were also slow on film, making the "rightness" even moreso. The fast parts WERE fast parts in the book, so the quick camera changes just seem to fit properly. For example: The fight in Moria dealt with the combat of 9 people against hundreds of Orcs and a cave troll- The book jumps and skips as much as the movie does, hence that feeling of "rightness" again. Just one example, I could name a bunch of others.

I think that's why those of us that read the trilogy like it so much. One example of the long shot: The steps when they collapsed: JRR Tolkien expounds on that far longer than the actual event would have taken, and thus, so does the film. (And it was a GREAT effect shot too!) Another example: The scene where everyone worries about Frodo having been skewered by the cave troll, there's what would be considered a long shot on him as he exposed the Mithril chain mail. That's another perfect excerpt right out of the pages.

I accept that not everyone will like this movie. Hell, I can't stomach Titanic simply because of the historical innaccuraces, but I acknowlegde that it was a well-shot, well-acted, and well-directed movie. Please don't think of this as a criticism. I shan't try to change your mind, nor have I the right to try. That would be like someone trying to tell me that Progressive rock isn't the BEST example great of music out there in the last 40 years!

..Joe

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

Archived