Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hall & Oates

The Stylistics were a vocal group whose heyday preceded Hall and Oates by a few years. I would be very surprised if that is true. But I would love to be proven wrong.

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by Jotown: [b]I love Todd Rungrens work as artist or producer, but that record sound more like a Todd record, not a Hall and Oates record. .[/b][/quote]I always figured that was kind of intentional. Those guys were coming from the same school, Todd and Daryl have such similar voices and styles -although I think Daryl has a little bit better voice than Todd. [quote]Originally posted by Jotown: [b]And the Glam Rock cover did not work for them one bit. Daryl Hall in drag is a pretty scary sight.[/b][/quote]I can agree with that! Actually Daryl could almost pull it off. But John... Man, that mustache! I'm thinking, the leather man from the Village People... They did a good documentary on them, on VH1, where they talked about that cover. I think it's something they were hoping to forget ever happened.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

• 10 months later...
Freaky! What timing to bump this old thread. I've just been "rediscovering" Hall and Oates this past week in a nostalgic sort of way. All the 70's and 80's stuff as well. Love the synths, the heavily chorused lead vocals and even the drum machine. They sure liked to start off many songs with a few bars of drum machine. "Out of Touch", "Kiss on My List", "I Can't Go for That", very catchy songs.

I'll cop to three things here: 1. I found Hall and Oates' music to be truly, maddeningly, deeply obnoxious. I shudder when I think about some of their music which was for me like kryptonite for Superman. 2. Their collaboration with Bob Clearmountain on Adult Education and Some Things Are Better Left Unsaid was fantastic. Brilliant production and first-rate song writing. 3. Darryl Hall has a great voice. Points two and three do not cancel out point one. Cheers, Alan Tomlinson

Archived