Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Football vs. Football:The contraversy. The pain.

Goldberg

I claim not to hate the game, or dislike the game of Football. Your football. I begun the argument to make a point:um...ok, so maybe I was just bored. Same difference. Look what I've started...And I might have just slightly IMPLIED that the game didn't interest me:but, hey, I did my part, I vowed to "get into" the game more, and I'm at peace with your version of football. Say, what's that brown ball doing on the field? I'm progressing from those types of questions, by the way, to more mature, intelligent questions such as "How many quarters are in a game" and "How many players on the team?".

That aside, you pretty much contradicted yourself on your explanation of basketball and it's many, uh, strategies. I doubt you enjoy the game, so why stick up for it? Please, you can use your hands-like THAT makes it harder than football. The use of hands eases play enormously and if football players could use their hands, the game would be just as high-scoring as basketball. I really hope you were being sarcastic when you said this.

And, I think the Aussie pretty much summed up how rugby is more rough than your football. Face it-read some of his posts. I'm not saying this makes the game BETTER than A.F., but simply that it is a more intense game. Sigh...you American types are all the same.

Oh-and you said that you've never seen an MLS game..best keep it that way. NEVER go to one. Ever.

"Bach is ever new"-Glenn Gould

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't watch a game that could possibly end in a 0-0 tie! That includes hockey and all you crazy Canucks ;)

I will say that Soccer and/or Hockey are fun and popular to play, just ask any kid in Smalltown, USA

Originally posted by ViLo:

STIKER1080:

WE STILL LOVE YOU MAN!!

STIKER1080, I will second that. In case you are taking any of this personally: don't! We DO love our football though!

BTW, we Americans use the term "Native Americans" to describe an ethnic group here. You may know them as "Indians." That, IMO is a silly name because it was given due to Christopher Columbus\' confusion that he had landed in India .

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

And, I think the Aussie pretty much summed up how rugby is more rough than your football. Face it-read some of his posts. I'm not saying this makes the game BETTER than A.F., but simply that it is a more intense game.

It's not rougher. It's just different. People suffer all sorts of broken bones, and can even end up being paralyzed from playing American Football. It's a pretty rough game, brother.

I know that Coren5555 (who I believe is Canadian) said that the rugby guys hit just as hard as the American guys wearing the pads. Frankly, I'm kind of inclined to doubt that it's true. No disrespect intended, but just because one person said it is doesn't make it so, y'know? I mean, I know that you'd like to believe that's true...

As previously noted, I believe that the pads make it easier for the players to slam each other much harder. Try a set of them on. Get into a game (I played for years all through school). I've also played without pads. I believe that there's a significant difference in the way that you hit someone if you're wearing armor.

Sigh...you American types are all the same.

Sure we are... :rolleyes:

...and all Brits drink tea, right? ;):D

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Originally posted by soapbox:

STRIKER1080, I will second that. In case you are taking any of this personally: don't! We DO love our football though!

I'll third it... http://www.contrabandent.com/pez//otn/wink/thumb.gif

It's all in fun...no worries... http://www.duhspot.com/users/smiley/s/otn/party/beerchug.gif

Go Arsenal!! ;)

dB

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

Excellent. Another in a series of well-informed opinions... :rolleyes:

Hey, Antonio - perhaps if you, like Mr. Striker, had any idea of what our game was about and how it was played, your opinion might be worth something. Instead, it's just the ignorant saber-rattling of another uninformed soccer fan.

We know how your game is played. Do you know how ours is played? I'll wager that you haven't got a clue.

Perhaps you might like to read this thread before you proceed much further.

...and, regarding the popularity of soccer (as I have previously noted) - McDonald's is very popular as well. That doesn't mean it's good. It's just cheap, and sort of serves a need. DanSouth has also made a similar observation.

dB

I know about the game - but couldn't be bothered to go beyond this...it just bores the pants off me. Just for the Info, I don't like rugby either - which is similar to American footy (more so than soccer anyways :D

Macdonald or no macdonalds, Popularity or no popularity....the fact remains that Soccer is the most popular sports game on the planet. From China to Russia, Iran to UAE (Arab Emirates)Iceland to Nigeria. Canada to Brazil - and USA in between.......

You say david "Popularity doesn't mean its good".

Claptrap if i've ever heard it. Why would over a Billion people want to play a "So-so" sport if it wasn't good - that we in England Invented?. Why isn't American football played all over the Globe like Soccer??? - You tell me.

I think American football is just that...American Football. Inflict this pansy-like affair (which it is aptly named in many parts of UK - sad maybe, but true) on other countries at your own will, but buy it I WON'T.

England Beat USA earlier on this year at rugby - by a huge margin...suppose we were to take up Football (American that is)? - hmmmm I wonder....

Originally posted by Antonio7:

England Beat USA earlier on this year at rugby - by a huge margin...suppose we were to take up Football (American that is)? - hmmmm I wonder....

...And your point is...?

I hope you're not suggesting that the best athletes in America would turn down the millions upon millions of dollars they could get playing our popular sports just so they could make a few thousand playing rugby! Your team beat a bunch of rejects.

I'm also sure England's rugby players are far more representative of the best England has to offer. On the other hand, if England fielded an American Football type team, it would probably be comprised of rejected athletes from England's most popular sports as well. A team like that would easily be beaten by even the Detroit Lions!

Next...

...And your point is...?

I hope you're not suggesting that the best athletes in America would turn down the millions upon millions of dollars they could get playing our popular sports just so they could make a few thousand playing rugby! Your team beat a bunch of rejects.

I'm also sure England's rugby players are far more representative of the best England has to offer. On the other hand, if England fielded an American Football type team, it would probably be comprised of rejected athletes from England's most popular sports as well. A team like that would easily be beaten by even the Detroit Lions!

Next...

England would prolly beat the U.S at there own game if they fielded this sport given time - as would the All Blacks from New zealand, springboks (south Africa etc etc etc...) HAVE YOU EVER SEEN THE ALL BLACKS IN FULL COMBAT???

Offtopic ON

Its like Ice Hockey. U.S Play this alot, but come the Olympics, and Sweden, Canada, Czek, Or Russia would prolly come out on top - and THEY PLAY SOCCER AS WELL.

That brings me on to another thing....(OT of course), how many Foreign players do the U.S use in there hocky teams??? (Ice). Kanchelikovisovoiekdkanchelsisoch?.

Seems like U.S need foreign imports to win for there state teams it seems.[/url.offtopic OFF

I know about the game - but couldn't be bothered to go beyond this...it just bores the pants off me.

Knowing about it and understanding it are two different things. Are you prepared to state that you understand the game?

Macdonald or no macdonalds, Popularity or no popularity....the fact remains that Soccer is the most popular sports game on the planet. From China to Russia, Iran to UAE (Arab Emirates)Iceland to Nigeria. Canada to Brazil - and USA in between.......

Yes, because as previously observed it's cheap to field, and easy to understand/play. Run...kick...run...kick... :D

You say david "Popularity doesn't mean its good".

Correct. The Volkswagen Beetle was very popular in the '60s/70's. How good was it? Not very...it was cheap, and it got the job done. Like McDonalds. Like soccer.

Why would over a Billion people want to play a "So-so" sport if it wasn't good

Easy to understand, easy to play, cheap to field.

Why isn't American football played all over the Globe like Soccer???

It's expensive to field, and not so easy to understand nor to play. It's a complicated game.

As to it not being played all over the globe, have we heard of the Rhein Fire? The Barcelona Dragons? The Scottish Claymores? Or (dare I say) the LONDON MONARCHS (hello..)?

I think American football is just that...American Football. Inflict this pansy-like affair (which it is aptly named in many parts of UK - sad maybe, but true) on other countries at your own will, but buy it I WON'T.

Suit yourself. Ignorance is, after all, bliss.

suppose we were to take up Football (American that is)? - hmmmm I wonder....

Ooooh - the Brit supremacy angle. ;)

First of all - London Monarchs... American football...wake up...

Secondly: American football doesn't require Americans, Antonio. Anyone can play it...it just tales brains as well as brawn. Of course, you know that because you understandthe rules and intricacies of the game, right? ;)

Of course, the English are clearly the world's most superior athletes...just look at how many gold medals Britain routinely captures in the Olympics...hey, wait a minute...don't they play soccer in the Olympics? Does Britain usually win????

dB

A typical BBC Sports Page

Now, search if you can, for London monarchs. Yes, they do play, but it is only to be found in the more obscure sections of BBC Sport - and even then ...I CAN'T FIND IT/THEM!

The Only reference I have seen to American Football is the "Other sports"....but only the U.S Version (and I can't see anthong there even!! doh ;) .

Its Basketball that is a wee bit more popular over here I would say Dave....And womens footy ;) (U.S aren't too bad at that if my memory serves me right. They got silver i believe in Sydney.

As for Medals. Britain Won 10 Golds in Sydney, USA 39 ...not bad considering the size/POP of our country ;)

Antonio

Its like Ice Hockey. U.S Play this alot, but come the Olympics, and Sweden, Canada, Czek, Or Russia would prolly come out on top

Once again, you're using a sport most of us never play, to make your point. Do you know how much of our population is located in areas that remain too warm in the winter to even have ice to play on? Do you know how much of our population is located in northern urban areas in which the only ice is located in refrigerators and gutters?

Basketball is the one sport in our country that virtually everyone gets to play. Do you realize how thoroughly we dominate the Olympics in basketball?

Next...

Now, search if you can, for London monarchs. Yes, they do play, but it is only to be found in the more obscure sections of BBC Sport - and even then ...I CAN'T FIND IT/THEM!

Give it time...we're comin' for ya, mate! :D

Its Basketball that is a wee bit more popular over here I would say Dave....

Sad - tsk tsk tsk...gotta get you guys to play a more manly sport...y'know, one where people can get paralyzed... ;)

BTW - don't let steadyb know that basketball is popular over there - it'll give him another reason to go off... :rolleyes:

And womens footy ;) (U.S aren't too bad at that if my memory serves me right. They got silver i believe in Sydney.

I'll trust you on that one...don't remember...

As for Medals. Britain Won 10 Golds in Sydney, USA 39 ...not bad considering the size/POP of our country ;)

Very true. Well done!

Go Arsenal!

Go Raiders!

dB

Just to make sure that my point is clear: IMO, people tend to do well at and to enjoy the things they do often. I am applying this belief to sports. Hence each nation tends to do well at and enjoy the sports they play the most.

Therefore, I expect that England would tend to beat to US in the sports they play the most; and vice versa. I don't think that any nation or group of people is intrinsically better than another.

BTW, we Americans use the term "Native Americans" to describe an ethnic group here. You may know them as "Indians."

Yes, sorry about using that term. But, in all truths, shouldn't people born(native)to America be called "native" Americans? Sure, I realise it is also used to also describe an ethnic group, but what is the proper name for them? We could go on with that one for a while. Do I see another thread coming? :confused::eek:

Anyway, yes, there are teams out there playing a bit of "European Football", instead of "American Football". And, truth is, it's just not close to anything resembling your tough smash 'em up game. That's as far as I can BS, because I've never actually seen such a game. :eek:

"Bach is ever new"-Glenn Gould

Yes, Geoff, brilliant observation! I'd take it even further to say that people will excel at the sports that are important to their culture, and that if that cultural energy is intense enough, it can elevate a small country to the highest levels of international success in sport. There are too many examples to list, but to me the most compelling is the relative dominance of major league baseball--the great old North American game--by Central and South Amercican players. Everyone knows baseball has lost a great deal of its "cultural energy" in the U.S., handed it over to Basketball, Football, and Xtreme Mountain Sport, Naked Ice Kayaking, and NASCAR. But in Central America, in the Islands, the energy and significance around baseball is tremendous. And the result is that a stunningly disproporionate number of the world's best players come from a few tiny Island nations where baseball is close to religion. It's a beautiful thing.

Just to make sure that my point is clear: IMO, people tend to do well at and to enjoy the things they do often. I am applying this belief to sports. Hence each nation tends to do well at and enjoy the sports they play the most.

Therefore, I expect that England would tend to beat to US in the sports they play the most; and vice versa. I don't think that any nation or group of people is intrinsically better than another.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Couple of points (okay opinions) -

Toughness - rugby versus football. Hitting in rugby is a completely different animal than in football. In rugby, the ball carrier has the option to, and generally tries to, get rid of the ball rather than being hit in the open field. From what I have seen, it is only when someone is fielding a kick that you see a high speed open field collison. The rest of the hitting and tackling is done for the most part in close quarters. Even in the scrum, players line up in contact with each other, not a yard (meter) away.

In football, there is much more open field hitting. The ball carrier is permitted to laterally pass the ball to someone else, but it is rarely done. Think of a wide receiver coming across the middle of the field at full speed concentrating on catching a pass, knowing that the Strong Safety is bearing down on him from the opposite direction, also at full speed. If that type of collision happens without pads, one or both of the players simply do not get up.

I'm not saying that rugby is not a rough game, but IMO, the hits in football are much more violent.

As far as strategy goes, there is no comparison between soccer and American football. Each play has a new strategy, and for each play, each player on the field has a different assignment.

However, all that said, neither sport is as interesting to me as hockey. Speed, grace, skill, strategy, violence it's got it all. It's just to bad that the economics of the modern game are slowly forcing the pro game out of my native Canada.

Our country is not the only thing to which we owe our allegiance. It is also owed to justice and to humanity. Patriotism consists not in waving the flag, but in striving that our country shall be righteous as well as strong: James Bryce

Originally posted by SFOracle:

However, all that said, neither sport is as interesting to me as hockey. Speed, grace, skill, strategy, violence it's got it all.

I went to a fight the other night and a hockey game broke out.

England would prolly beat the U.S at there own game if they fielded this sport given time - as would the All Blacks from New zealand, springboks etc etc etc...

Given how much time??? 100 years, 1000 years??? 1,000,000 years???

It seems to me England had at least a thousand year head start on the U.S. being a country, and we still kicked their ass.

Face it, England had the Beatles, Monty Python, and...I guess that's it(unless you want to include the Spice Girls).

You see it's more like the other way around, Americans, given time (and the interest) will always rise to beat the best in the world in most any sport.

1980 Olympic Hockey - Beat Russia and Finland = Gold Medal

1994 Knocked Colombia out of the world cup

Many of the recent Tour de France races

Boxing - (Please don't say Lennox Lewis, he's the Larry Holmes of his mediocre era)

1984 Olympics - most events

Basketball

Baseball

Football

I think you get the point.

If we didn't have to spread our athletes among a dozen of so different professional sports, and only played soccer, we'd own that sport too.

steadyb

I have a few objections against American Football:

- The players seldom use a foot to transport the ball from A to B.

- They don't even use a ball, but a wasphive look-a-like instead!

So I conclude that the name football is the one and only name for FOOTBALL. So from now on American Football should be called Runhive.

About the equipment:

- Shoulder pads are way out of fashion in my country.

- Only girls wear panties. (well okay some boys in Amsterdam too)

- why wearing a braincap; no brains, no need for protection.

(wich not automaticly implies that s*cc*r-football players do have brains)

- why wearing protection-pads; no b... etc.

Other objections:

- the fans are so non-musical that clubs use a P.A. system to support the players

- the kicker has to rest after each kick

And last:

- Damn, Runhive it's not broadcasted in my country so I can not watch it! It's no Football but it's a good game to watch!

Peace to you all, my brothers! :)

:keys: My Music:thx: I always wondered what happened after the fade out?

Originally posted by Pim:

I have a few objections against American Football:

- The players seldom use a foot to transport the ball from A to B.

- They don't even use a ball, but a wasphive look-a-like instead!

So I conclude that the name football is the one and only name for FOOTBALL. So from now on American Football should be called Runhive.

About the equipment:

- Shoulder pads are way out of fashion in my country.

- Only girls wear panties. (well okay some boys in Amsterdam too)

- why wearing a braincap; no brains, no need for protection.

(wich not automaticly implies that s*cc*r-football players do have brains)

- why wearing protection-pads; no b... etc.

Other objections:

- the fans are so non-musical that clubs use a P.A. system to support the players

- the kicker has to rest after each kick

And last:

- Damn, Runhive it's not broadcasted in my country so I can not watch it! It's no Football but it's a good game to watch!

Peace to you all, my brothers! :)

Shoulder pads/ girls panties. braincaps . You Goddit!

"the kicker has to rest after each kick" LMAO :D

REASON ITS SOOOOOOOO FUNNY IS BECAUSE ITS SOOOO TRUE :D

"They don't even use a ball, but a wasphive look-a-like instead!"

Can't take no more...staring to wet myself :D

LOL

:D

Originally posted by dansouth@yahoo.com:

This is the stupidest thread I've ever seen. [ 12-17-2001: Message edited by: dansouth@yahoo.com ]

I disagree. My "How long has Phil Collins sucked?" thread on Craig's forum was every bit as stupid.

I'll tell you what - I will agree that football is a better name for your game than it is for ours. I don't think that anyone would disagree with you there. They'd be foolish to do so.

That being said...

You guys still have no idea what you're talking about. You still don't understand our game. Poke fun at it all you like. You still come off looking like typical morons who ridicule that which they do not understand.

Frankly, I'm surprised that you guys would want to look like that to us. Suit yourselves...

...at least Pim admitted that it's a good game to watch - glad to hear that you're somewhat open-minded. I'd expect no less of you...

By the way - an American football is not hive-shaped. It is a prolate spheroid.

Have a nice day! :D;)

dB

Hey Dave.. don't get so defensive, we have to take cracks about our game from you guys all the time :D

I don't think the US will ever really grasp onto world football, probably because it has to dominate a sport before its own people notice it, usually because of the way the media is run in the US.

Thats not a wisecrack, my own country isn't exactly the world leader in football.. I don't even think we make the top 20!

Maybe santa will bring you a nice present this year to cheer you all up (maybe a football (spherical of course!))

Peace

Neil

I'll tell you what - I will agree that football is a better name for your game than it is for ours. I don't think that anyone would disagree with you there. They'd be foolish to do so.

That being said...

You guys still have no idea what you're talking about. You still don't understand our game. Poke fun at it all you like. You still come off looking like typical morons who ridicule that which they do not understand.

Frankly, I'm surprised that you guys would want to look like that to us. Suit yourselves...

...dB

Originally posted by neil loughran:

Hey Dave.. don't get so defensive, we have to take cracks about our game from you guys all the time :D

Sorry if I am coming off as being defensive, Neil - it is not my intent. I'm trying to take the offensive... ;):D;)

Read through this thread and the other football vs. football one ...as far as I can tell, all of this seems to be in good fun.

Normally, the folks on this forum are very friendly, helpful and cordial to each other (a fact that makes me quite pleased, actually). It can be a good time every once in a while to spar a bit, yes? Especially when it comes to things about which one is passionate..

As I have said repeatedly - I like Football (soccer). I like to watch it, and I like to play it. The point which I continue to gently attempt to express is that the gentlemen who are hooting and whooping about what a "mindless, wimpy, girly, snore-inducing" game American Football is don't understand it. I've never understood why some people have a tendency to do that.

Personally, when I don't understand something (especially something in which people whose opinions I normally respect take interest), I usually attempt to learn more about it, rather than just make fun of it.

I am certain that if these gentlemen would make an effort to understand RunHive...umm, I mean American Football...that they would certainly be amazed at what a frighteningly cool and entertaining sport it is. It is (IMO) next to impossible to be a sports fan and not at least appreciate American Football - you just have to learn what it's about.

...and, to call it a pansy sport is just plain silly. Try playing the game - having a 250 pound linebacker deliver a hit on you at full speed with a 15 yard running head-start will knock you into next Tuesday, and probably hurt you so badly that your entire family will feel it. :eek:

I promise - you'd never think that those cute little shoulder pads and "brain cap" were "pansy" ever again...once you were able to think again, anyway... :D

Cheers!

Go Arsenal!

Go Raiders!!

dB

Cool.. Dave you are a gentleman :D

On another note, how did it feel back in 98 to be defeated by Iraq in the world cup? I'm sure the Iraquiis saw it as more than just a football game if you know what I mean..

Seriously I mean it, I wonder about how war conflicts effect the way we think when we play sports against the teams we fight against. I know it felt quite strange to play Argentina in 86 (and to lose!) as an Englishman.

Peace

Neil

Sorry if I am coming off as being defensive, Neil - it is not my intent. I'm trying to take the offensive... ;):D;)

dB

Archived