Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

XP 50 slight prob...

Ungas_01

Ey guys... I have a Roland XP-50... the patches and the other features are ok.. thing is, i seem to be havin a problem when it comes to gigs. For example, i use this USER (perform) patch in one song, then after a couple of songs i change patches...(seems to be no problem there..) but when i go back to the 1st USER patch, some of the layers that was programmed there (like strings etc) doesn't seem to sound anymore (or is too weak to be heard).. the only thing that i do to get the sounds back is when i turn off the keyboard and turn it on again... i tried to play around with the 'voices' allocation, efx and stuff... but that doesn't seem to change anything with the error... is this what you guys call the 'latency' problem thing? or is it another error (or am i just too dumb to figure it out??? ).. anyone who knows how to get this fixed? thanks in advance! :)

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can figure it out. We will help you. :)

First of all, are you using the sliders or controller pedals while playing any of the patches? My first guess would be that you have the volume of one of the tones linked to a pedal or a slider. Would you consider playing the troublesome patch with slider changes and see if that might be one source of the change.

BTW, what is the name of the patch (or is it a performance)? What kind of patch is it (piano with strings, brass, lead, etc.) Did you make it up, or get it from somewhere? I may have run across it, if you got it from somewhere.

Regards,

Jerry

[ 12-14-2001: Message edited by: Tusker ]

thanks jerry,

Yes, its in performance mode. i got the patch from a friend (altered it a bit..) its got St. Strings, Chambers, String Ens. from octave g3-g9.. then, and orchestra hit at the lower end (c-1 - f#3)...and when you midi link it to a controller, the patches you will hear in the controller is a d-50 stack at octave c#5-g9, west coast (c-1 - g9)... the sound patch that weakens (after i change patches) are the st. strings and string ens.

..btw, i checked the internal battery and there's no prob there...

... actually, im not too familiar in setting the sliders at the left, i just go with whatever default setting there is... :(

Are you using an RPS patch or a sequencer at any time between when the performance sounds correct and when it looses volume on some channels?

Edit - Also, look at the name of the performance in the edit window. Once it looses volume on some channels does it have the indicator that shows when a patch has been edited and not saved?

[ 12-14-2001: Message edited by: Rabid ]

This post edited for speling.

Originally posted by Rabid:

Are you using an RPS patch or a sequencer at any time between when the performance sounds correct and when it looses volume on some channels?

Edit - Also, look at the name of the performance in the edit window. Once it looses volume on some channels does it have the indicator that shows when a patch has been edited and not saved?

[ 12-14-2001: Message edited by: Rabid ]

- what's an RPS patch? and no, i don't use a sequencer during gigs actually.. it just happened to me again a while ago ( i had a gig) and this time instead of the string patches weakening, the orch hit was the one that got affected...

-for your second question, no, it doesnt indicate that the patch has been edited and not saved... i would know if so because there should be and asterisk right next to the patch name if that happens...

Hmm... let's try another idea out:

Originally posted by Ungas_01:

...its got St. Strings, Chambers, String Ens. from octave g3-g9.. then, and orchestra hit at the lower end (c-1 - f#3)...and when you midi link it to a controller, the patches you will hear in the controller is a d-50 stack at octave c#5-g9, west coast (c-1 - g9)... the sound patch that weakens (after i change patches) are the st. strings and string ens.

When you experience this, is it always after you switch to the other controller? Are you switching performances, (when you are playing the D50 stack) or are just trigerring it (on some other channels in your performance) off the other controller? I am wondering if the other controller is sending CC settings to the XP that resets the volume on the affected parts.

I notice that the string patches you mention have a volume increase programmed on system controller 2. I am willing to bet that before you switched sounds (to the D50 stack) the XP read these controllers at a value of say 127, and when you swith to the other (D50) sound and come back, the XP reads these controllers at a value of 0. The other keyboard controller may be causing this or it may be because you are switching performances (Are you?).

In general when you switch performances, the xp resets the controllers to zero. See if this is what is happening, by playing with the sliders (move them up... slider c2 is often mapped to controller 2) when you come back to the string sounds.

There are different ways out of this problem but lets first figure out whether it's coming fom a performance change (xp50 reset) or from the other controller.

Let us know what you find out.

Cheers,

Jerry

[ 12-14-2001: Message edited by: Tusker ]

Just a shot in the dark, but is there a velocity offset 0-127 in the menu? I only ask because occassionally the instrument,Not an xp-50, played startling clear, loud, longed for sounds. Tried to come up with some explanation as some of the options did not make the change I was looking for.

Good Luck

There are different ways out of this problem but lets first figure out whether it's coming fom a performance change (xp50 reset) or from the other controller.

Let us know what you find out.

Cheers,

Jerry

[ 12-14-2001: Message edited by: Tusker ][/QB]

hmm... the d-50 stack (and the west coast) comes from the xp50 and is triggered when i play the controller. i dunno tho' if the controller does send CC settings to the xp. i noticed tho that this kind of problem happens only when i use an rd-500/600 as a controller..(normally doesn't happen when i use smaller controllers etc..).. what do you mean by switching performances? changing performance programs? if so, yes i do... i use a multiple of performance patches during gigs... is this what you wanna know?

thanks in advance... :)

Jun

Archived