Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Not exactly another football thread

tenthplanet

Originally posted by KHAN:

Soccer fans. An intelligent bunch eh?

The only sport where fans KILL EACH OTHER :eek:

I guess it makes it more exciting knowing that you may die.

Raider fan is bad enough, but soccer fan makes him look like Einstein.

KHAN, in all fairness it should be noted that Rugby fans are just as likely to kill each other as football fans are. It is said by many that the roughest game in the world is Scottish rugby, and least where I come from. And, I actually don't really know too much about rugby and am not a fan, but I can say that the Irish also have their own form of rugby, called Gaelic Football. Austrailian Rules Football is messed up...Still, I hold strong. Never will I feel obliged to seat myself at one of your mindless games of A.F. Instead, I'll fly back to Wales or Ireland, or somewhere and watch RUGBY!

"Bach is ever new"-Glenn Gould

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by dansouth@yahoo.com:

Jerry Jones and Al Davis are at the other end of the spectrum.

snip

I wouldn't cry over the Raiders, though. Best not to have a man like Big Al in your town.

A)) Lest we forget, LA didn't lose the Raiders to Oakland...the Raiders CAME from Oakland. They just went back to where they belong. I never liked them being in LA - I'm glad that they returned to the Bay.

B) I, too dislike Jerry Jones intensely. I am also not the world's biggest Al Davis fan. However, Jon Gruden has definitely changed the focus of the Raiders - in the public eye, they are much more his team than Al's team, regardless of who the owner is.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Originally posted by Striker1080:

Still, I hold strong. Never will I feel obliged to seat myself at one of your mindless games of A.F. Instead, I'll fly back to Wales or Ireland, or somewhere and watch RUGBY!

Suit yerself, brother Striker.

Please do believe me, though, when I tell you that the odds are very strong that you would sincerely enjoy the game if you would take the time to understand it - especially if you like Rugby. American Football is a great game, and is definitely not mindless by any stretch of the imagination.

It may look to you like those big guys are just randomly hitting each other; but, in reality, each player is supposed to hit a specific guy at a specific moment in time and move him a specific amount in a specific direction. That changes radically from play to play.

It is much more complicated than it looks. Try it - you might very well find that you enjoy it! You have nothing to lose but your bull-headed stubborn uninformed opinion. ;):D:cool:

Hey, I watch a soccer game every once in a while. I like it...

dB

I will have you know that this, this "soccer" of yours HAPPENS to be the most widely watched and POPULAR game in the WORLD! Therefore, I sincerely REJECT your calling my opinion "stubborn" or "uniform". Ha! Hey, really, are you SURE there's some traces of organization down on the A.F. field? It seems to me like a bunch of middle aged fat American men whapping other middle aged fat American men on the head and running around. Every now and then incomprehinsible yelling is heard, followed by a muffled "HUT!" and the ball is put into play, in which it is passed to someone who proceeds in running five yards, getting tackled, fights for a while, gets the five yards taken away from him, and it starts over. Hmmm...Fascinating. But, maybe you're right. There IS some entertainment value in all of that. And, yes, there happens to be another game that holds the same amount of disorganized, confusing play that NO-ONE, not even the players, fully understand. Cricket. The game that probably evolved into baseball. But, go watch a game. It is literally impossible to understand. It is also boring. World-class games have been known to last three days. Yikes!

Therefore, at this time, I would like to show you how I rank games on the bore-o-metre, one being the MOST boring, and the higher you go, the less boring it is:

1) Cricket

2) Basketball

3) Baseball

4) NASCAR

5) American Football

6) Golf

7) Tennis

8) Hockey

9) Field Hockey

10)Street Hockey

11)Polo

12)Australian Rules Rugby

13)Gaelic Football

14)Sottish Football

14)Romanian Football (existance is questioned...)

15)Rugby

16)Football

Many may feel that the final selection was slightly opinionated, and perhaps the votes were, shall we say, rigged in a sense. I kid you not:after polling quite a few people, I looked at the outcome, and decided which order I personally thought was the right one. Above is the result. Shocked? You should be. You may be angered that Golf came in more exciting than your precious game of A.F., but pleased at the same time that it ranked in after the likes of Basketball and Baseball. Calm yourself, my friend. These feelings are natrural. You may also be confused about the absense of Sumo Wrestling. Well, let's just put it like this: when I was making the chart, when I was at #14, I thought to myself, what about the high-adrenaline game of Sumo Wrestling? After careful consideration, I chose to have it placed at number 6, and move everything else up. But, I didn't feel like it. So, there you go.

And Dave-one thing to say to you!

DALLAS COWBOYS WILL CRUSH YOUR TEAM, WHOEVER THEY ARE! ARRRRRRRRR! :P:P:P:P:P

I hope the above, mature, intellectual message has been properly interpreted by an American Football fan, such as yourself. Knowing your type, you're probably a fan of teams such as Sunderland, Manchester United, Bolton, Chelsea and the like-all wimpy teams. I'd threaten you with Welsh or Irish teams but you wouldn't know any. In America, either you watch American football, or you watch Yugoslavian Rugby, or Iraqi camel racing-they are all the same. :D

Never will I feel obliged to seat myself at one of your mindless games of A.F.

Chess seems mindless, too, when you don't know the rules. Shakespeare seems mindless when you haven't invested enough time and effort to understand the dialog.

Futbol doesn't seem mindless to me; it seems like really good exercise. It's like watching a bunch of guys jog for an hour. Not mindless at all, just boring as hell. Not as boring as baseball, though. As least in soccer someone is moving at all times.

I will have you know that this, this "soccer" of yours HAPPENS to be the most widely watched and POPULAR game in the WORLD!

So? McDonald's is popular, too - doesn't mean that it's good, does it?

Therefore, I sincerely REJECT your calling my opinion "stubborn" or "uniform".

Try reading more carefully, Sparky. The word was "uninformed", not "uniform". Close, but no cigar... :rolleyes:

Ha! Hey, really, are you SURE there's some traces of organization down on the A.F. field?

Yes. You, as the uninformed party, are the one who is unsure.

It seems to me like a bunch of middle aged fat American men whapping other middle aged fat American men on the head and running around. Every now and then incomprehinsible yelling is heard, followed by a muffled "HUT!" and the ball is put into play, in which it is passed to someone who proceeds in running five yards, getting tackled, fights for a while, gets the five yards taken away from him, and it starts over. Hmmm...Fascinating. But, maybe you're right. There IS some entertainment value in all of that.

Uninformed.

Keep this up as much as you want - it goes nowhere. The bottom line is that you have no idea what you are talking about, so nothing you say holds any water. I understand soccer. I've played the game. I like to watch it. I understand the rules. You, on the other hand, are (pardon the pun) striking out from a place of ignorance. You can't win. The harder you fight, the sillier you look. Please...stop...it's embarrassing to watch...

And, yes, there happens to be another game that holds the same amount of disorganized, confusing play that NO-ONE, not even the players, fully understand. Cricket. The game that probably evolved into baseball.

I have never watched cricket. I don't understand it. Therefore, I am unable to comment.

But, go watch a game. It is literally impossible to understand. It is also boring. World-class games have been known to last three days. Yikes!

It sounds boring. I've heard others say that as well. Me, I don't know enought to comment

See? It's easy to admit that one doesn't understand something. Try it . I promise - it doesn't hurt...

Therefore, at this time, I would like to show you how I rank games on the bore-o-metre, one being the MOST boring, and the higher you go, the less boring it is:

Personally, I don't really care what you find boring.

As I have said repeatedly (and am growing tired of re-iterating) perhaps if you would take the time to understand what you are trying so ignorantly to tear apart, your argument might hold some water. As it stands now, you are just flailing hopelessly in a pathetic manner.

Many may feel that the final selection was slightly opinionated,

Many more might not care... :rolleyes:

and perhaps the votes were, shall we say, rigged in a sense. I kid you not:after polling quite a few people, I looked at the outcome, and decided which order I personally thought was the right one. Above is the result.

Ho-hum.

Shocked?

Bored.

You may be angered that Golf came in more exciting than your precious game of A.F., but pleased at the same time that it ranked in after the likes of Basketball and Baseball.

I couldn't care less.

And Dave-one thing to say to you!

DALLAS COWBOYS WILL CRUSH YOUR TEAM, WHOEVER THEY ARE! ARRRRRRRRR!

What? The 4-9 Cowboys? Not bloody likely, mate...another well informed comment... :eek:

I hope the above, mature, intellectual message

What? Where? Did I miss something?

has been properly interpreted by an American Football fan, such as yourself. Knowing your type, you're probably a fan of teams such as Sunderland, Manchester United, Bolton, Chelsea and the like-all wimpy teams.

Nope. I'm an Arsenal fan, actually.

I'd threaten you with Welsh or Irish teams but you wouldn't know any. In America, either you watch American football, or you watch Yugoslavian Rugby, or Iraqi camel racing-they are all the same.

...sigh...

You know, one of my favorite adages goes something like this:

Never try and teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

New version:

Never try and teach a soccer fan to try and watch American Football - it wastes your time and annoys the soccer fan.

Ta-ta...gotta go. Football games on TV on Sunday... :D;):P

dB

Try as you might, you cannot convince me to enjoy the game of American Football. But, as per your request, I took some time and rented The Replacements with Keanu Reeves to try and understand it. I failed, but I tried. Therefore, I will kindly ask with no hostile words for a native American, as you are, to explain to me the "essense" of American Football. Sorry about that whole "uniform" thing...dang.

Anyway, Mr. Bryce, teach me of your game so that I can gain more understanding of it. So that it becomes more enjoyable to watch a game with my American friends. So that I know what that brown leather ball is doing down there...After you are done explaining the strategies then maybe I'll back off a bit. Let me show you how far I am so far: You can run. You can pass. The QB throws the ball, and you want to tackle him. You want to tackle some other guys, too, and there's a guy called the Running Back but I'm not quite sure what HE does. Then you run/pass the ball anywhere between 1-100 yds. to run into this so-called "endzone" and throw the ball down. Also, I've heard that there's a "bomb" in which the QB hikes the ball then proceeds to throw it as hard as he can.

Am I doing good so far?

Originally posted by tenthplanet:

OK, I don't know what to make of basketball anymore and I like hockey KINGS BEAT VANCOUVER 6 TO 3!!!

Go Red Wings !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Former Detroiter - I couldn't resist ;) )

That being said, I was setting in one of my favorite watering holes and they had Fox Sports on. They had a poll and fifty percent of the people stated that LA did not need a football team! I find it kind of embarrassing that a city of this size can't keep a team. Am I alone here on this? We've got two NBA teams, a NHL team and another one to the south in orange county, as well as the Dodgers and the Angels not far away.

Here (Charlotte) we may lose out pro basketball team. The Panthers are as bad as the Lions. The closest MLB team is Atlanta. The closet NHL team is in Raleigh (Carolina Hurricanes) and thats two hours away. Although minor baseball around here is very good. On the bright side no other state can boast Duke, UNC, NC State or Wake Forest in college basketball :D

Thank God for AYSO soccer. Sheesh!

RobT

[ 12-16-2001: Message edited by: RobT ]

RobT

Famous Musical Quotes: "I would rather play Chiquita Banana and have my swimming pool than play Bach and starve" - Xavier Cugat

Try as you might, you cannot convince me to enjoy the game of American Football.

I'm not trying anything of the kind. I'm attempting to show you that there might be things going on of which you might be unaware. There's a big difference.

My five year old son is in this interesting phase where he disdainfully turns his nose up at pretty much any new food that we put down in front of him even thought he's never even tasted it!

Get it???

But, as per your request, I took some time and rented The Replacements with Keanu Reeves to try and understand it. I failed, but I tried.

Ummm - did I suggest that you do that? "The Replacements" is hardly a route to learning football. That's like saying you rented "Shine" to learn how to play the piano... :rolleyes:

Therefore, I will kindly ask with no hostile words for a native American, as you are, to explain to me the "essense" of American Football.

See below.

Remember, I keep telling you - it's a very, very complex game. The best way to learn about football (other than playing it) is to actually sit and watch some games with people who understand it and who are willing to take the time to explain what is going on to you. Then (and only then) you will begin to understand what you're dealing with here.

It will probably take you quite some time to really grasp just how much is going on, and you'll still not completely get it until you've actually played it...had to memorize a playbook...that sort of thing...

Anyway, Mr. Bryce, teach me of your game so that I can gain more understanding of it. So that it becomes more enjoyable to watch a game with my American friends. So that I know what that brown leather ball is doing down there...

As I suggested above - watch games with friends. Ask questions. Read (non fiction!!!) books on the subject if you really want to gain knowledge.

After you are done explaining the strategies then maybe I'll back off a bit.

Hey, man - that's your call. If you want to back off, back off. If you want to keep flailing, help yourself.

Let me show you how far I am so far: You can run. You can pass.

Those are the two most basic ways to advance the ball.

Basically, the idea is that the team with the ball has four tries (called 'downs") to advance the ball 10 yards. If they make it 10 yards within four downs, they get another set of four downs.

Here's a very basic illustration:

The offense typically starts with the ball on their own 20 yard line. You'll hear the announcers say "It's 1st and 10" - this means it's the first of the four downs, and the offense has to make 10 yards to get another first down, which yields another set of four downs. Let's say they run for four yards up to the 24 yard line - it's now "2nd and 6" from the 24, which means it the second of the four downs, and now the offense has three tries remaining to make 6 yards in order to get a new set of four downs. Let's say that they then pass for nine yards. They have successfully made it across the 30, in fact to the 33 yard line. It is now "1st and 10" from the 33.

This continues until:

A) They make it to the end of the field (end zone) and score a touchdown, which yields 6 points. They are then permitted to try to kick the ball through the goalposts from about the 10 yard line to try for one extra point, or to try and run/pass it into the end zone from the two yard line in order to get two extra points.

B) They run out of downs close enough to the end zone (usually around the defense's 25-30 yard line) so that their kicker can kick the ball through the goal posts for three points.

C) They come up well short of the 10 yards outside of scoring distance, and elect to use the fourth down to kick the ball as far away from their own goal as they possibly can (punting). If, instead of punting on 4th down, they elect to run a play in an effort to try and make a first down and are unsuccessful in doing so, the other team takes over wherever the ball is downed. "Going for it" on fourth down is a very risky thing to do, especially when the ball is deep in your own territory.

D) They lose the ball by either dropping it while running with it (fumbling) resulting in a member of the defense recovring it, or by having a member of the defense catch the ball while it is in the air (interception).

The defense's job, of course, is to stop the offense from moving the ball; and, if possible, to take the ball away from them.

That's a very, very basic primer on what the teams are doing on the field. The is a whole bunch more going on.

The QB throws the ball, and you want to tackle him.

The defense wants to tackle whoever has the ball. That is how you stop them from advancing with it.

You want to tackle some other guys, too, and there's a guy called the Running Back but I'm not quite sure what HE does.

Usually, a running back runs the ball after the quarterback either hands it, laterals it, or passes it to him. You can have one or two running backs in the backfield (behind the line of guys, which we call the line of scrimmage). If a running back plays halfway back, we call him a halfback. If another running back lines up behind him, we call him a fullback. If there is just one running back in the backfield, he is usually just referred to as a tailback.

Here is one basic formation and play:

If there are two backs in the backfield, and they line up so that the halfback is directly behind the quarterback, and the fullback is directly behind the halfback, that is called an "I" formation. Usually, the play that is then run is called a "dive", in which the linemen try and open a very specific hole in the defensive line (where in the line they try to open a hole varies), through which first the halfback runs (without the ball) trying to take out the second wave of defensemen trying to close that hole, then the fullback runs (with the ball).

Of course, it is not uncommon to set up in an "I" formation just to make the defense think that you're going to run, when you really intend to pass...this gets quite a bit more intense...

Are you starting to get a picture???

Then you run/pass the ball anywhere between 1-100 yds. to run into this so-called "endzone" and throw the ball down.

The throwing down of the ball (spiking) is not obligatory.

Also, I've heard that there's a "bomb" in which the QB hikes the ball then proceeds to throw it as hard as he can.

Not exactly.

A bomb is a long pass, yes - but it's usually aimed at a very specific place on the field where a wide receiver is running towards at full speed with one (or more) defensemen running right along with him. The ball has to be very precisely thrown so that the wide receiver doesn't have to slow down, and so that he is the only one who can catch it.

It ain't as easy as just lobbing it down the field...

Am I doing good so far?

It's a start.

Try watching some of the Rams/Saints game tomorrow night. The Rams are arguably the best team in the league right now, and are the odds-on favorite to win the championship (Super Bowl).

Come back with questions. We'll try and help.

dB

Hey Striker,

Didn't you used to be on a show called "UFO"? ;)

Here are some of the positions on a the offensive an defensive teams in an American football team. I'll give you a little hint as to what each position's general responsbility is, although it can vary greatly depending on the play. Print this out and watch a few games. When you understand what each position's job is AND you get to the point where you can recognize each of these players by their position, you'll be a lot closer to understanding that game.

OFFENSE

-------

Center © - Stands over the ball; snaps the ball to the quarterback (QB) on his signal; then immediately rises to block the oncoming defensive linemen; not allowed to catch the ball unless he expressly informs the referee prior to the snap.

Offensive Tackle (OT) - There are usually two of these players, one on each side of the center. Their job is to (a) protect the QB from oncoming defenders, (b) push laterally to open holes for the running backs, and © push laterally to open "passing lanes" for the quarterback, i.e. holes through which the QB can see his receivers. Same pass reception restrictions as the C.

Guard (G) - Usually one beside each OT further out than the C. Job is similar to the OT's except that they have to pick up any outside (lateral) threats to the QB. Same pass reception restrictions as the C.

Tight End (TE) - A combination blocker and pass receiver. Usually a big guy who's also fast, he has to block his man (men) and then get free so that he can catch a short pass.

Wide Receiver (WR) - One per side, usually split out near the sidelines. Responsibility is to run a "pattern" (a predefined route) in an attempt to get open for a pass from the QB. Also required to block for running backs who break to the outside. In college football, these players are sometimes referred to as "Split Ends".

Running back (B) - A strong, agile runner who can carry the ball and evade tacklers. Half backs (HB) are usually smaller (relatively speaking) runners with quick feet and reflexes. Half backs try to avoid defenders rather than hitting them. Full backs (FB) are usually large tank-like men who can ram the line with great force. Backs block for each other. They also "pick up" (block) defenders when the quarterback is trying to pass the ball.

Quarterback (QB) - the captain of the offense. Calls the plays or receives them from the sidelines. Analyzes the defensive formations prior to the snap and changes the play if necessary with verbal signals (called "audibles") to the rest of the offense. After the snap, the QB will hand the ball to a running back, pass it, or keep it himself. If he fakes a handoff to a running back but then passes it, it's called a draw play because it draws the defense toward the running back. It the QB then runs with it, it's called a quarterback draw. If the quarterback hands it to a running back who then passes the ball, it's called an option play. If that running back hands it back to the QB and the QB passes it, it's called a fleaflicker.

DEFENSE

-------

Defensive Tackle (DT) - One or two DT's line up across from the C or the OT's. They try to penetrate the offensive line and stop the running back or tackle the QB before he can get rid of the ball. The latter play is called a sack and it punishes the offense by setting them several yards back.

Defensive End (DE) - Line up outside of the DT's and have a similar role, except they can also attack the offensive backfield by running around the side of the offensive line.

Linebacker (LB) - Three or four of these guys line up behind the defensive line (the DT's and the DE's). They're the second line of defense. They'll charge the line in case of a run play or a delayed a pass play, chase down a running back if he gets past the line, pick up TE's who are trying to catch a pass, or defend against WR's who have not gotten too far past the line of scrimage. The Middle Linebacker (MLB) is the captain of the defense. He examines how the offense lines up and makes corresponding adjustments in the defensive setup.

Cornerback (CB) - These guys line up across from the wide receivers and chase the WR's as the WR's run their patterns. CB's are primarily concerned with pass protection, but they turn back toward the line and chase down running backs on run plays.

Safety (S) - The two Safeties line up behind the linebackers, and their duty is in the middle ground between linebackers and cornerbacks. Safeties defend against every play, run or pass.

SPECIAL TEAMS

----

Any play that involves kicking the ball has special players, such as the Punter, Kicker, Holder, Receiver(s), and blockers. Their positions are self-explanatory.

COMPLEXITY

----

Now consider that all of the aformentioned players (22 men at a time) move instantly when the ball is snapped. Each one does his job simultaneously. If American Football seems like chaos - and it always does when you begin to watch it - you have not yet learned to sort out all of these roles and responsibilities. Once you get the hang of what every position is trying to accomplish and how they keep their respective adversaries off balance, American Football becomes fascinating to watch.

Good luck!!

There, Dave, I've done it. I have gone to an American and ASKED FOR HELP. Therefore, with this newfound knowledge I will make an effort to watch A.F. and try to understand what is going on.

Now.

I would also like you to fly yourself to Ireland and watch a match of football(soccer)and make an effort to get involved in the game. Fans over there will be quite pleasant, and will open their hearts to you. Who am I kidding? Arm yourself. But, you should be fine because you are able to sit on either side and be a part of the game (jump up when other people do and shout what they do). But, you should find it suitable all the same to seat yourself on the Shamrock side of the field (arrr, a mighty team they are). Be sure to purchase the comprehinsive "Guide to Football Chants and Songs" before the game and read through some of the chants to join in the fun. Finally-gaurds and barriers are there for a good reason. Please refrain from throwing your popcorn or peanuts at the guys with guns.

Oh yeah.

Also be sure not to make any communication attempts after the first game. Chances are, you won't be able to hear anyway-and the headache DOES wear off eventually...walk it off. Anyway, if you happen to find a grown man crying (yes, crying-it's common), do not make an effort to calm him. Let him go his way, and you go yours.

After-game riots are generally common as well, especially if your lucky to catch an international game. Word of advice-don't venture into Scotland or England after your favourite Irish team without a friend or pepper spray. It does get dangerous. If you happen to find yourself in an uproar, remember-when in Ireland, do like the Irish do. Follow in the wake and in the confusion, and throw a few stones in the general direction of the other team. This way you can avoid being trampled.

You've probably noticed that my strategy/safety guide is focused on the fans and your interaction with them. Half of the strategy of Irish football includes surviving the experience. But, I ask you all the same to put yourself in a few games, and once you get the hang of getting around through the crowds, you can continue on your quest to discover the rules and strategies of the game. And bring pepper spray.

Later, after the game, you may feel compelled to follow some newfound friends to the local "pub". If you so decide to do so, stick close to any previously made friends. No, I am not of legal drinking age yet, so I can't quite describe the horrors of going to the pub at 1a.m. after a game, but I'm sure it gets ugly.

Well, good luck on your quest. I, too, will accomplish the task set out for me, and will watch this so-called "Super-Bowl" in the...summer? And will gain more knowledge of this game of A.F.

There, Dave, I've done it. I have gone to an American and ASKED FOR HELP. Therefore, with this newfound knowledge I will make an effort to watch A.F. and try to understand what is going on. {/b]

I applaud your effort.

One hint - it'll take more than one game to get it. Be patient.

Now.

I would also like you to fly yourself to Ireland and watch a match of football(soccer)and make an effort to get involved in the game. Fans over there will be quite pleasant, and will open their hearts to you.

Striker...I like soccer. I've watched games. NOT MLS games - European games. South American games. I've played soccer. You don't have to sell me. I am not ragging on soccer. I like soccer. I understand how it's played. I'd enjoy going to a game.

Well, good luck on your quest.

I have no quest, but thank you anyway.

I, too, will accomplish the task set out for me, and will watch this so-called "Super-Bowl" in the...summer?

Winter. Beginning of February this season.

BTW - the Super Bowl usually sucks - the playoff games all through January will probably be much better.

And will gain more knowledge of this game of A.F.

Good for you. You'll like it. I promise.

dB

Archived