Jump to content


Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Not exactly another football thread


tenthplanet

Recommended Posts

OK, I'll admit I don't like football. I like the football jokes (those Buffalo Bill ones are the greatest!) and I love the cheerleaders. I don't know what to make of basketball anymore and I like hockey KINGS BEAT VANCOUVER 6 TO 3!!!

That being said, I was setting in one of my favorite watering holes and they had Fox Sports on. They had a poll and fifty percent of the people stated that LA did not need a football team! I find it kind of embarrassing that a city of this size can't keep a team. Am I alone here on this? We've got two NBA teams, a NHL team and another one to the south in orange county, as well as the Dodgers and the Angels not far away. So what do you think? And no I don't want the Raiders back (sorry Dave!)

Michael :eek:

P.S. In the same poll there was a big chunk of people who said they didn't want the Chargers; are they in play?

Q:What do you call a truck with nothing in the bed,nothing on the hitch, and room for more than three people in the cab? A:"A car"....
Link to comment
Share on other sites



  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by tenthplanet:

They had a poll and fifty percent of the people stated that LA did not need a football team! I find it kind of embarrassing that a city of this size can't keep a team. Am I alone here on this?

 

This may surprise some of you, but in all honesty, I couldn't care less if we had a football team.

 

First of all, I was living in the Bay area when the Raiders moved back up to Oakland. I got season tickets, which I thought was going to be a great thing - dream of a lifetime for this lifelong Raiders fan, right? Wrong. It cost me a small fortune - I had to buy Personal Seat Licenses (the right to buy the tickets), all of the tickets (including the full-price preseason games)...then there were the additional hefty expenses involved in actually going to the games, not to mention the additional hours before and after the game spent getting there and getting back - I never saw any other games! I wouldn't have minded going to one or two, but the thousands of dollars that it set me back to sit in an uncomfortable seat in the upper decks just wasn't worth it, IMO.

 

Now, I live in LA. We have no home team, so to speak. So, guess what we get to watch every weekend? The best games!!! We are not locked into any team...they do show us all of the Raiders games, but we are never 'blacked out' because the stadium didn't sell out; and, they have no problem showing a game opposite the Raiders (which they wouldn't do if this was the home market). I love it.

 

Besides, thanks largely to free agency, there's no such thing as a home team anymore anyway. There hasn't been for years. These guys come from all over the place, not from LA (and neither do I, for that matter). They're not local boys, so if I don't care that much about going to the game, what does it matter where the team I watch actually plays their home games?

 

Frankly, I kinda hope that LA doesn't get a team - I like the way it is now. I'm a Raiders fan; but, more importantly, I'm a football fan. I like the fact that as a market with no team, I get fed the best games. This Sunday, my selection includes the Bucs/Bears, the Niners/Dolphins, the Packers/Titans and the Steelers/Ravens. All great games.

 

Where's the problem?

 

dB

:snax:

 

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

 

 

Affiliations: Cloud Microphones • Music Player Network 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wasn't Raider's coach John Gruden the lead singer in Mr. Mister ?

 

Drunk fans screaming in your ears for 3 hours, getting beer spilled on you, 6 dollar cold hot-dogs, seats so far away you aren't sure who has the ball, 2 hours bumper-to-bumper traffic getting out of the parking lot. What's not to love about that ?

 

[ 12-14-2001: Message edited by: SteveRB ]

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Drunk fans screaming in your ears for 3 hours, getting beer spilled on you, 6 dollar cold hot-dogs, seats so far away you aren't sure who has the ball, 2 hours bumper-to-bumper traffic getting out of the parking lot.

 

Don't forget the crowded highways on the way to and from the game...and what it costs to park there...

 

What's not to love about that ?

 

My point exactly.

 

Sure, it's fun to go to a game once in a while...but it got way old (for me, anyway) having to do it for every home game, including the pre-season ones!

 

Maybe I'm getting old, but I kinda prefer my big comfy chair, and the proximity of said chair to my kitchen... ;):cool::D

 

dB

:snax:

 

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

 

 

Affiliations: Cloud Microphones • Music Player Network 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

*note: I'm trying to finish the last fight we had*

You know who doesn't need a football team? Austrailia..No offense. But they spend all their time playing rugby, cricket, and drinking beer. Not to mention they appearantly run the entire network of TV entertainment with Crocidile Hunter. So why do they need a football team? No, I'm not talking about your wimpy, girly sport with the eliptical ball and big shoulder pads and the like. I'm talking about the manly, tough beat 'em up game of football, where only the fittest survive. A game of skill, dexterity, strength, speed, and, uh, flexibility! A great game where legends are made! Pele! Brady! Lennon! God help us all! It's often a low scoring, edge of your seat game where the action in the stands is JUST as deadly as the action on the field. So, it's more of an interactive experience:you go to a football game, and you are able to feel what the players feel, in surround sound! 'Tis a beautiful piece of art, this game. It touches our hearts and gets us involved not only emotionally, but physically. It's an engaging experience that few can turn down. I hope I'm bringing fellow soccer lovers to tears here...Anyway, the point is, Austrailians just aren't FIT for that. Ok, ok, niether are Welsh. Or the Americans, who look at a soccer ball and wonder aloud "what's that spherical ball doing down there?". Which, is a different story altogether...hmmm...Well anyway, I close this heated note with a question for the Aussies: Did you qualify for the Cup? And, if so, does anyone know a GOOD webpage for following the results? It seems like I won't be able to watch to much of it... :( . Anyway, I hope I closed up some loose ends. All you had to say was "football" and I was off.

"Bach is ever new"-Glenn Gould
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by Striker1080:

*note: I'm trying to finish the last fight we had*

You know who doesn't need a football team? Austrailia..No offense. But they spend all their time playing rugby, cricket, and drinking beer. Not to mention they appearantly run the entire network of TV entertainment with Crocidile Hunter. So why do they need a football team? No, I'm not talking about your wimpy, girly sport with the eliptical ball and big shoulder pads and the like. I'm talking about the manly, tough beat 'em up game of football, where only the fittest survive. A game of skill, dexterity, strength, speed, and, uh, flexibility! A great game where legends are made! Pele! Brady! Lennon! God help us all! It's often a low scoring, edge of your seat game where the action in the stands is JUST as deadly as the action on the field. So, it's more of an interactive experience:you go to a football game, and you are able to feel what the players feel, in surround sound! 'Tis a beautiful piece of art, this game. It touches our hearts and gets us involved not only emotionally, but physically. It's an engaging experience that few can turn down. I hope I'm bringing fellow soccer lovers to tears here...Anyway, the point is, Austrailians just aren't FIT for that. Ok, ok, niether are Welsh. Or the Americans, who look at a soccer ball and wonder aloud "what's that spherical ball doing down there?". Which, is a different story altogether...hmmm...Well anyway, I close this heated note with a question for the Aussies: Did you qualify for the Cup? And, if so, does anyone know a GOOD webpage for following the results? It seems like I won't be able to watch to much of it... :( . Anyway, I hope I closed up some loose ends. All you had to say was "football" and I was off.

 

OH!! you are talking about Football Soccer, That boring game that they kick the ball around and when they very close to score, kick it all the way back, past mid field and start all over again??????????? if you get exiceted about that something is wrong!!

 

I don't see was so great about that!! :D:D:D:D !!!

 

Jesus Is Coming, Make Music, Get Ready!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by ViLo:

 

OH!! you are talking about Football Soccer, That boring game that they kick the ball around and when they very close to score, kick it all the way back, past mid field and start all over again??????????? if you get exiceted about that something is wrong!!

 

I don't see was so great about that!! :D:D:D:D !!!

Heh heh heh heh...I suppose you are one of those guys living up in Dallas that don't even KNOW they have a "soccer" team, called the Burn. I don't blame you-MLS is...well, there isn't a word to describe it. So, yes, if you are referring to "Soccer" (and I do mean that in a disrepective way), it IS a boring game. But, if YOU get all excited about a basketball game, then I'd call you a hipocrite(no, I'm not saying your a basketball fan, but, for purpose of demonstration, bear with me). Well, first of all, it's made up of teams with a bunch of middle aged men (they are probably the oldest athletes second to golphers) that are still getting their "game on" after all these years. And what's up with all these old guys like Jordan coming back, huh? Ok, so there's old geezers out there shuffling around for a little round ball. No biggee, that has some entertainment factor. But, you score. The OTHER team picks up the ball. They score. Repeat steps 1-2 at least 100 times. On a small court, the only way you can possibly hope for a chance to win is if your hand incidentally is positioned in front of the ball when the other guy is shooting so you are able to tip it away. Then, you get the ball, you run to the goal, and score again. Well, football is not such a sport. For a straight 45 minutes and a full hour and a half in total, these manly warriors battle through many challenges to score perhaps the winning goal, a goal that will make their supporters, and, if at national level, their whole COUNTRY proud. Because, that ONE goal could be the end for the other team. It's not like in basketball when you just toss up the ball, get another 2 points, and repeat. Basketball games are seldom see below 100-points for the winning team. The other team is around 90. Football games, however, are different. Games seldom reach scores higher than 3 points for the winning team, and losers usually go home with 2. Exception: bad football games, such as MLS or Manchester United, :D , can sometimes be seen above the mark. But, it should be noted also that football players are usually retired and gone by age 32. Basketball players-they're out there shuffling around until their teeth fall out. Which is an interesting way to put it, I suppose...The point is, that football(ahem..soccer..)is the greatest game on earth! And, don't even get me started with Baseball or your wimpy, girly, miserable excuse for a sport that you feel is deserving of being called "Football!" how DARE you! :P -note very mature tounge-sticking out "graemlin"! take that, mr. "football soccer".

 

 

Hey-tenthplanet-you're right, this isn't just another football thread. :D

"Bach is ever new"-Glenn Gould
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I, uh, take it YOU don't know much about who's qualifying for the World Cup, eh, ViLo?...All I really care about is that Ireland made it, after, of course, I successfully completed the indigionous soccer god victory dance. Three times. But, now that they're in, there's no turning back! Watch out, France!
"Bach is ever new"-Glenn Gould
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by Striker1080:

I, uh, take it YOU don't know much about who's qualifying for the World Cup, eh, ViLo?...All I really care about is that Ireland made it, after, of course, I successfully completed the indigionous soccer god victory dance. Three times. But, now that they're in, there's no turning back! Watch out, France!

 

:D:D:D:D:D !!!!

 

You are a very funny man!!!!

 

Tell me more, Tell me more........

 

Jesus Is Coming, Make Music, Get Ready!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

http://www.contrabandent.com/pez//otn/evil/overlord.gif

 

The point is, that football(ahem..soccer..)is the greatest game on earth!

 

Uh-huh...

 

I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

 

Hockey, field hockey, ice hockey, lacrosse, basketball and soccer are all basically the exact same game. A bunch of players trying to get a ball/puck of varying size into some sort of goal of varying size. The playing surface/ball size/goal size and one or two minor rules and accessories may vary a bit, but it's still basically the same game.

 

Sure basketball player score more - there's no goalie! Plus, they're allowed to use their hands... ;)

 

And, don't even get me started with Baseball

 

I'm not a huge baseball fan - don't much care for a game where the defense has the ball..

 

or your wimpy, girly, miserable excuse for a sport that you feel is deserving of being called "Football!" how DARE you! :P

 

Easily. We understand both games. :D

 

It is not possible to understand American football and call it a wimpy, girly, miserable excuse for a sport - only the uneducated and/or badly misinformed would do so. As I have said before: American football is a unique game of ground acquisition. It is war without the mess. It is chess with helmets and pads. It is the most strategic, cerebral major sport played today. Period.

 

I contend that anyone who says any differently does not understand how the game works.

 

Soccer...ooooh...kick ball up field. No touch ball. Wow. I'm incredibly impressed. :rolleyes::Phttp://www.freakygamers.com/smilies/s2/otn/laughing/laugh2.gif

 

dB http://www.duhspot.com/users/smiley/s/contrib/blackeye/double0smile.gif

:snax:

 

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

 

 

Affiliations: Cloud Microphones • Music Player Network 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

http://www.contrabandent.com/pez//otn/evil/overlord.gif

 

The point is, that football(ahem..soccer..)is the greatest game on earth!

 

Uh-huh...

 

I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

 

Hockey, field hockey, ice hockey, lacrosse, basketball and soccer are all basically the exact same game. A bunch of players trying to get a ball/puck of varying size into some sort of goal of varying size. The playing surface/ball size/goal size and one or two minor rules and accessories may vary a bit, but it's still basically the same game.

 

Sure basketball player score more - there's no goalie! Plus, they're allowed to use their hands... ;)

 

And, don't even get me started with Baseball

 

I'm not a huge baseball fan - don't much care for a game where the defense has the ball..

 

or your wimpy, girly, miserable excuse for a sport that you feel is deserving of being called "Football!" how DARE you! :P

 

Easily. We understand both games. :D

 

It is not possible to understand American football and call it a wimpy, girly, miserable excuse for a sport - only the uneducated and/or badly misinformed would do so. As I have said before: American football is a unique game of ground acquisition. It is war without the mess. It is chess with helmets and pads. It is the most strategic, cerebral major sport played today. Period.

 

I contend that anyone who says any differently does not understand how the game works.

 

Soccer...ooooh...kick ball up field. No touch ball. Wow. I'm incredibly impressed. :rolleyes::Phttp://www.freakygamers.com/smilies/s2/otn/laughing/laugh2.gif

 

dB http://www.duhspot.com/users/smiley/s/contrib/blackeye/double0smile.gif

 

Exactly!!

 

Way to go Mr. Bryce!!!

 

Jesus Is Coming, Make Music, Get Ready!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, to start this letter out on a good note, I most admit that hockey is pretty much the same game as soccer, only it is played on ice with a bunch of beard-clad Russian wrestlers that body slam you into walls and it involves slamming a rock hard rubber puck at a over-stuffed goalie at over 100mph...the chances that the goalie will actually catch the puck purposely are very slim. Generally, he just stands in front of the net and runs into people. *gasp*

Now.

That out of the way, I'd like to say a few words on your intellectually challenging game that you call "football". First off, it is played by a bunch of highschool dropouts who got big and fat on beer and pancakes and such and like running into people. Honestly. Compare it to sumo-wrestling. And, frankly, I find two anerexia-challenged men fighting each other in a ring wearing diapers is more entertaining than an American football game. I mean, come on. You-Jenkins, you must catch ball. Use hand, not feet. No skill. Just catch. Easy. Try. Good. Now, run up field. Through ball down. Good. 7 points. See what I mean? Not to mention all the breaks they get. 4, what, 15 min. quaters? What is THAT? Not to mention the downs, the huddles, the defensive/offensive team(meaning one of them gets to rest)and the like. And all the Gatorade they can get. But, in the grueling game of football where only the best team survives...things are different. Think: 2 45 min. periods where the game only stops if 1)ball goes out 2)someone gets injury/or, more commonly, fakes injury, to stop game...hmmm...or, 3)if a goal is scored. Other than that, and don't forget injury time, you're looking at 45 minutes of running up a field that is no smaller than a football field. After which, they go into the locker room and do...who knows what and come back out for ANOTHER 45 min. period. And guess what-only 3 subs are allowed per game. In A.F., there's like three extra teams on the sidelines and subs are common-even WITH that wimpy padding.

So. With THAT said, might I suggest a different sport?

Rugby! It is pretty much football and...football combined. Think about it:a "non-stop" sport (football) that is rough (football) and goals are scored by running into the "endzone" (football) and then by kicking it into two bars (football-speaking of which, those two pole things are WAY more challenging to get in than those wimpy little prong things) and the people generally beat the living crap out of each other (football). And, players don't wear much, if any, padding (football). Oh, yeah, and to suit the rest of your needs, they play with an eliptical ball (football), fans are often caught with beers (football), it is intellectually stimulating (football) and use of feet and hands are both allowed. So, what do you have to say about THAT? Hey-just for the record, and of all fairness because I did live there for a while, Wales has a good Rugby team.

P.S. You had me up to the whole "chess with pads and helmets" thing. :D ...

P.P.S. You are fighting a losing battle too. You have been warned.

"Bach is ever new"-Glenn Gould
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, to start this letter out on a good note, I most admit that hockey is pretty much the same game as soccer, only it is played on ice with a bunch of beard-clad Russian wrestlers that body slam you into walls and it involves slamming a rock hard rubber puck at a over-stuffed goalie at over 100mph...the chances that the goalie will actually catch the puck purposely are very slim. Generally, he just stands in front of the net and runs into people. *gasp*

 

How good of you to admit that. It is pretty obvious, wouldn't you say?

 

All of the other games that I mentioned are the same game as well - not just ice hockey.

 

Now.

That out of the way, I'd like to say a few words on your intellectually challenging game that you call "football".

 

Oh, look out. A diatribe from someone who clearly understands the game he's about to bash... :eek:

 

First off, it is played by a bunch of highschool dropouts who got big and fat on beer and pancakes and such and like running into people.

 

Oh, yeah - that's accurate. I suppose I could respond that your game is played by a bunch of guys who never even made it to high school, and who aren't even co-ordinated enough to play a sport that requires the use of the hands...honestly...what would soccer be without alcohol? ;)

 

Compare it to sumo-wrestling.

 

An uneducated person might be inclined to do so...

 

And, frankly, I find two anerexia-challenged men fighting each other in a ring wearing diapers is more entertaining than an American football game.

 

Not surprising from a soccer fan... :P

 

I mean, come on. You-Jenkins, you must catch ball. Use hand, not feet. No skill. Just catch. Easy. Try. Good. Now, run up field. Through ball down. Good. 7 points. See what I mean?

 

Yes. I see that you clearly understand a bit about the most basic form of street football, but not a lot about pro/college football. There is a great deal more than what you describe going on on a football field, Striker. If you'd take the time to learn what you are talking about, your argument might hold more credibility...but, as you'd learn how much more is involved, it ain't likely that you'd stick with this foolish line of attack...

 

Not to mention all the breaks they get. 4, what, 15 min. quaters? What is THAT?

 

As I said - football is incredibly strategic. It requires set-up. It's not just about raw brawn - there's brains involved...

 

Not to mention the downs, the huddles, the defensive/offensive team(meaning one of them gets to rest)and the like. And all the Gatorade they can get.

 

Mm-hmm. Now you're just flailing...

 

But, in the grueling game of football where only the best team survives...things are different.

 

Run up field...kick ball...run down field...kick ball...repeat...

 

Think: 2 45 min. periods where the game only stops if 1)ball goes out 2)someone gets injury/or, more commonly, fakes injury, to stop game...hmmm...or, 3)if a goal is scored.

 

Grueling. Run up field...kick ball...run down field...kick ball... :rolleyes:

 

Other than that, and don't forget injury time, you're looking at 45 minutes of running up a field that is no smaller than a football field.

 

Oh, it definitely takes some stamina to do that. So what? That doesn't make a great game - it just means that you have to be in shape. You have to be in shape to play just about any pro sport (except, perhaps, baseball)...

 

After which, they go into the locker room and do...who knows what and come back out for ANOTHER 45 min. period.

 

They strategize...I know, a word with more than one syllable - take it slow - you can handle it... :D

 

And guess what-only 3 subs are allowed per game.

 

Yes, I know - I understand how soccer is played.

 

With THAT said, might I suggest a different sport?

Rugby!

 

Great game!

 

It is pretty much football and...football combined.

 

Yessir. A lot of fun to play, and to watch!

 

Think about it: a "non-stop" sport (football) that is rough (football) and goals are scored by running into the "endzone" (football) and then by kicking it into two bars (football-speaking of which, those two pole things are WAY more challenging to get in than those wimpy little prong things) and the people generally beat the living crap out of each other (football). And, players don't wear much, if any, padding (football). Oh, yeah, and to suit the rest of your needs, they play with an eliptical ball (football), fans are often caught with beers (football), it is intellectually stimulating (football) and use of feet and hands are both allowed. So, what do you have to say about THAT?

 

Nothing. I like rugby. It's a much better game than that wimp little pseudo-track meet that you call a sport.

 

Hey-just for the record, and of all fairness because I did live there for a while, Wales has a good Rugby team.

 

So I've heard.

 

P.S. You had me up to the whole "chess with pads and helmets" thing. ...

 

...and well after that, too... ;)

 

P.P.S. You are fighting a losing battle too. You have been warned.

 

I'm terrified. :eek:

 

Go read up a bit on American Football; or, better yet, watch a game with someone who understands it well enough to explain it to you. Then, come back when you understand what you're talking about. :D

 

dB

:snax:

 

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

 

 

Affiliations: Cloud Microphones • Music Player Network 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by tenthplanet:

I find it kind of embarrassing that a city of this size can't keep a team. Am I alone here on this? We've got two NBA teams, a NHL team and another one to the south in orange county, as well as the Dodgers and the Angels not far away. So what do you think? And no I don't want the Raiders back (sorry Dave!)

 

I had season tickets and I made the weekly trek with my brother from the San Fernando Valley down to Anaheim to see the Rams play. Not only was it a good opportunity to hang with my brother, it was fun to be there live; and unlike most NFL towns, the weather was almost always great!

 

It's pathetic that we lost not one, but two NFL teams, and in the same year nonetheless! I'm embarrassed that the second biggest city in the United States doesn't even have a single NFL franchise.

 

Still, while I'd take the Rams back in a heartbeat, I think the Raiders belong in Oakland: they were just vacationing in LA. :D

 

I wish we could have at least been able to keep the Rams name like Cleveland did with the Browns. After all, the Rams spent 49 years here. I think that the privilege given to Cleveland should be the policy from now on. If a team moves, they lose their name.

 

Dave makes some good points about how we're now better off when watching games on the TV. However, while I enjoy the extra variety, I still prefer having a home team to watch in person and yell at! ;)

 

As things now stand, I'm proud to be a Packers fan because they are the only team in the NFL that will never, ever move: guaranteed!

Enthusiasm powers the world.

 

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Soccer fans. An intelligent bunch eh?

 

The only sport where fans KILL EACH OTHER :eek:

 

I guess it makes it more exciting knowing that you may die.

 

Raider fan is bad enough, but soccer fan makes him look like Einstein.

So Many Drummers. So Little Time...
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I thought that game where they chase the little round ball was called "futbol" or "futball". American football is called "American football" - I don't see any confusion. Here in the U.S. (and Canada) we just call it "football" because we know where we are already.

 

Australians have a version of football, also. No, it's not called rugby, even though they play that, too. It's called "Australian Rules Football." I think it's also pretty clear.

 

I've managed to stay away during a futbol game or two. Having Brazilian percussionists thumping away in the next section helps. No one got killed that day, thankfully. ;)

 

Bottom line: You need the patience of Job to watch futbol more than twice a year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by tenthplanet:

Ok, so who was a loyal packer's fan during the can't win a game years?

Michael (I grew up in packer land I had no choice :D )

 

I've been a Packer fan ever since I read Jerry Kramer's "Instant Replay" while living in Wisconsin during the 1969-1970 school year. Since then, I've reread that book at least a dozen times.

 

The Packers have always been in my top five, but the Rams were number one for me until they left LA. It was easy to move the Pack into that number one spot because of my past in Wisconsin and because they will never leave Green Bay.

Enthusiasm powers the world.

 

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by soapbox:

 

I've been a Packer fan ever since I read Jerry Kramer's "Instant Replay" while living in Wisconsin during the 1969-1970 school year. Since then, I've reread that book at least a dozen times.

 

The Packers have always been in my top five, but the Rams were number one for me until they left LA. It was easy to move the Pack into that number one spot because of my past in Wisconsin and because they will never leave Green Bay.

Excellent answer. Now do you have one of the cheese slice figures with the packer helmet to sit on top of your computer monitor? They're kind of like a cheese gumby.

Michael

Q:What do you call a truck with nothing in the bed,nothing on the hitch, and room for more than three people in the cab? A:"A car"....
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by tenthplanet:

Excellent answer. Now do you have one of the cheese slice figures with the packer helmet to sit on top of your computer monitor? They're kind of like a cheese gumby.

 

I missed out on those, but I do have a Packers t-shirt and sweat pants. It's important to show your team pride in public ... where people will pick fights with you! :eek::P:D

Enthusiasm powers the world.

 

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by soapbox:

 

The Packers have always been in my top five, but the Rams were number one for me until they left LA. It was easy to move the Pack into that number one spot because of my past in Wisconsin and because they will never leave Green Bay.

 

Q: What's the biggest difference between New York and Los Angeles (other than the fact that New York has football teams in the first place)?

 

A: NY will NEVER lose a team St. Louis or Oakland.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I hate to break it to ya Dan, but the owners of the Jets and the Giants can move their teams wherever they damn well please, as long as the NFL approves. :eek: (Although, I hope that they never do.)

 

The Packers, on the other hand are owned by their fans and run as a non-profit organization . They can move only through dissolution. Speaking as a fan burned by the Rams, that's as good as it gets in my book!

Enthusiasm powers the world.

 

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by soapbox:

I hate to break it to ya Dan, but the owners of the Jets and the Giants can move their teams wherever they damn well please, as long as the NFL approves. :eek: (Although, I hope that they never do.)

 

The Packers, on the other hand are owned by their fans and run as a non-profit organization . They can move only through dissolution. Speaking as a fan burned by the Rams, that's as good as it gets in my book!

 

Yeah, soap, I know the deal on the Pack. They're one of the few NFL organizations that I respect. Jerry Jones and Al Davis are at the other end of the spectrum.

 

Re: Jets, Giants, etc., I said "will never," not "cannot." ;)

 

Sorry about the Rams. My post wasn't to bash LA fans; it was to highlight that their loss was a fiasco on somebody's part. I wouldn't cry over the Raiders, though. Best not to have a man like Big Al in your town.

 

[ 12-16-2001: Message edited by: dansouth@yahoo.com ]

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Originally posted by dansouth@yahoo.com:

Jerry Jones and Al Davis are at the other end of the spectrum.

 

You can add Georgia Frontiere to that list as far as I'm concerned.

 

Originally posted by dansouth@yahoo.com:

Re: Jets, Giants, etc., I said "will never," not "cannot." ;)

 

I catch your drift. You're probably right!

 

Originally posted by dansouth@yahoo.com:

Sorry about the Rams. My post wasn't to bash LA fans; it was to highlight that their loss was a fiasco on somebody's part.

 

No offense taken!

 

[ 12-16-2001: Message edited by: soapbox ]

Enthusiasm powers the world.

 

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...