Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

my first gig

I'm having my first gig at the battle of the bands that my school is hosting. The first place prize is $400!! we really need to win, lol. I was just hoping you guys could list some songs we could play... songs that arent too hard, lots of ppl would know, would blow everyone away, and that we'd get respect from. we only have 15 minutes on stage... so I guess that could be about 3 songs... 4 max. oh well, just list some good rock songs that would kick ass at the show!! thanks

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We'd all love to help, but we need to know: what songs are you looking for? a little advice: when my last project did covers, we had the best results from songs people sorta knew but didn't expect to hear. This means no covers of Dave Matthew's cover of "al along the watchtower"
...think funky thoughts... :freak:

Play Pink Floyd's "Comforably Numb". They'll never expect it, but they'll love it. If you can manage, just play a really long solo, both with bass, guitars, and hey, even keys. No drums, please. That song doesn't need to be eff'd up with a drum solo. Just jam around the basic structure of it. Play some Grateful Dead, too. That'll get the stoner punks all ready to go. I'm sure you can ask people, and not tell them. Just get ideas, you know?

Did I hear someone here say "Wipe-Out"!!! :D Just kidding........ I've been in battle of the bands years ago, we did songs the our group would be noted for. We had 2 songs to do, we did them well.......practiced like hell before the gig, like a transmission. We won! It is taking the best songs that other folks that have heard you play before that had good press. Those songs are the ones to lay into. Here is one thing you don't do. Think you will have 4 songs to do on stage, do an ok song then another ok song, then ready to do the hot tunes when they ask you to only do two and that's it. Put your best tunes first then the other ones that may seem to be not as hot later. Were will you be playing if you win? That is the type of music that you will need to be practicing for. Sometimes it can hert if you end up playing the same tunes that another band playes before you. OUCH! :eek: Understand your compitition if you can. Tke along alot of friends for support. A lot of screaming helps! :D Jazzman :cool:

Look at your crowd to see what they will like. Has anyone there even heard of zepplin or sonic youth? If not then playing songs from them might not be advisable in a battle of the bands. Either way have fun :thu:

Double what we got o mr. roboto

Double

Double

Play a rock & roll version of Happy Birthday, 'for Irene, in the back of the gym'. Everyone young and old knows the song and they'll dig the fact that you are playing 'for the people'.
In two days, it won't matter.

"SKY-NRRRRRRRRRRD!!!!" :D :D :D No...just shittin' ya. Don't play "Smells like teen sandman". Or anything else really predictable. Play something cool that everyone likes, but avoid overdone stuff. I'd also avoid old stuff... Deanmass is right on. Pick your 4 best songs and kick 'em out. And if they happen to include "Enter Teen Spirit" oh well, too late to change, but pick your best stuff and kick it out! Good luck. Hey, learn that new Foo Fighters tune..."All my life".
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Back in H.S. we did that Pink Floyd song... "We don't need no education..." can't remember what it's called. Of course the kids will love it...put your own modern r&r signature to it... watch out if the judges are teachers though...

Kris

My Band: http://www.fullblackout.com UPDATED!!! Fairly regularly these days...

http://www.logcabinmusic.com updated 11/9/04

I won a battle of the bands wiht the song "Youth Gone Wild" Remember Skid Row anyone? Neither did most of the crowd (save a few metal heads in the audience) but the entire place erupted once they figured out the groove and the meaning of the lyrics. Even the people who didn't like us couldn't help but get caught up in the excitment. Bring beach balls to toss around. Everybody loves knockin' balls, right?
...think funky thoughts... :freak:

We have discovered a sure fire way to fill the dance floor. We stuck the beginning of "My Sharonna" to "Louie Louie" and alternate back and forth after every verse..stupid, but everybody from the kids to the old folks (like me) get on the floor.. Go to any high school football game and the pep band is still playing "Hang on Sloopy" and multiple other 60's classics. There must be a reason.. You could also try greatest Rap hits..not.

Mark G.

"A man may fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame others" -- John Burroughs

"I consider ethics, as well as religion, as supplements to law in the government of man." -- Thomas Jefferson

Archived