Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Our sensational media

My goodness! I turn on the 6:00 news and on 5 different news channels the big story is Wynona Ryder's shop-lifiting guilty verdict. 1. I couldn't name one movie she's done but, I think it's terrible how she is being 'smeared' in the public eye like this. I mean, were talking shoplifting here. 2. Isn't there something more important happening out there in the world today? rant over. Matt
In two days, it won't matter.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wynona Ryder has made some pretty good flicks. And her share of bad ones, like anyone else. Why the hoopla over her shoplifting charge is a good question, however. But, it takes peoples minds off of whatever the media is told to distract us from, I guess. And with all those mud-slinging election ads gone for now, they gotta fill that time with SOMETHING, right? As for me, I'd rather see tape footage of flies fucking! Whitefang
I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

[quote][i]Originally posted by Hippie:[/i] Isn't there something more important happening out there in the world today?[/quote]Um .. yeah, I think it's called "Election Results." :rolleyes: I was just about to post the same rant [b]Matt[/b]. I just watched a whole hour of LA local 4:00 PM news. This is what I saw: The lead story was the Winona Ryder verdict, followed by interviews with random people on the street about the Winona verdict, followed by coverage of the local media circus due to the Winona verdict. Then came brief coverage of election results: quick acknowledgement of Democratic victories in California and Republican victories nationally. The results of three of our eleven state and local measures were quickly given, along with a clip of Arnold Schwarzenegger declaring victory for his pet measure. However, I can understand why there wasn't time to cover the rest of our local election results, because many more stories that were much more "important" followed: a 600 pound man is losing weight, a mistress was successfully sued by a wife, a barge was almost too big to fit in a local harbor, and the Osbornes are upset about Sharon's cancer. Certainly the stories above will impact our California lives much more than will the results of the following measures: • [b]The Housing and Emergency Shelter Trust Fund Act.[/b] • [b]The Kindergarten-University Public Education Facilities Bond Act.[/b] • [b]Water Quality, Supply and Safe Drinking Water Projects. Coastal Wetlands Purchase and Protection. Initiative Statute.[/b] • [b]Transportation. Distribution of Existing Motor Vehicle Sales and Use Tax. Initiative Statute.[/b] • [b]Earthquake and Fire Safety Bond.[/b] • [b]Safe Healthy Neighborhood Schools.[/b] I can certainly understand why they didn't cover [i]those[/i] results ([i]bo-o-o-ring![/i]), but I just can't imagine how my life would have been impacted if I hadn't found out about that 600 pound man! :eek: Sarcasm aside, I invested a fair amount of time researching these issues before I voted. I'd like to know how the f@*# they turned out! Yes, I realize that local newspapers give results; but they go to press before a lot of results are certain. The next day, when the votes have [i]all[/i] been counted, you have to do some digging to find out how the vote [i]really[/i] turned out! Okay, that's it for my rant! :mad: Next? :) Best, Geoff

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

I too have gotten real tired of the Wynona flurry, its not news. There was a thread awhile back about how CNN Headline News isn't a good news source anymore. I feel they've really gotten worse since their "makeover" about six months back; the TV screen looks more like a website (too much to read [i]and[/i] listen to the announcer at once, at least for us old folks), they've tried to get the hosts to joke with each other after each story (and its NOT working), and they have a band come in each half hour and play their latest hit. Its become an entertainment channel any more, not a news channel. :(

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

I can't watch any of that crap anymore. Makes me too angry. Thank God for PBS - they still have quality news programming. News Hour with Jim Lehrer: National news with real issues, no fluff. Charlie Rose: Best interview show on television, period. The only TV show I try to watch every day. Frontline: Long-form public affairs documentaries. After watching any of their shows, you feel as though you've actually LEARNED something. That's my two cents.

I got such a kick out of CNN running the banner "POSTMORTEM" under their coverage of the election results and trying to cover it as little as possible. I wonder what the banner would have said if the liberals had won? The reason most of the tv stations went to the Wynona coverage is because they were in shock and didn't want to be caught crying on the air. Paula Zahn was literally in tears watching her beloved party crumble before her eyes on CNN. Lester Holt on MSNBC was trying his best to load every question with anti-conservative crap. I watch Fox on a regular basis now because they give both sides and try to be fair. I know of no other media outlet that even attempts to be balanced. Get your information from NPR? No wonder you are out of touch with reality.

Mark G.

"A man may fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame others" -- John Burroughs

"I consider ethics, as well as religion, as supplements to law in the government of man." -- Thomas Jefferson

Here's a local news teaser from a few days ago: (slightly paraphrased) [i]There's a new drug on the streets. Are your kids doing it? Is it in our schools? Tune in at 11 to find out what it is.[/i] Target audience: schoolkids, parents, teachers, and drug users. They showed pictures of this plant-like thing tied in small bundles, but I forgot to tune in at 11 to find out what it was. :freak:

Speaking of media...I just got a report that in Liberty today (a KC suburb about 10 miles from here) a mother and her son were shot in a possible sniper copycat case. This happened at a Catholic School parking lot. Apparently, the cops have someone in custody. I haven't heard whether they're still alive or not. Getting ready to watch the news. But, is the media giving wackos ideas?
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Just found out on the news...that the case I just discussed was a family argument, not a sniper. The guy owned a gas station in our town. 6 year old boy dead, his wife in critical condition. There's also a daughter, with no place left to stay. Tragic.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

[quote]Originally posted by GZsound@hotmail.com: [b]I watch Fox on a regular basis now because they give both sides and try to be fair. I know of no other media outlet that even attempts to be balanced. Get your information from NPR? No wonder you are out of touch with reality.[/b][/quote]Hahaha!!! That's hilarious. You [i]were[/i] joking, right? 'Cause otherwise that's just antagonistic hot air.

eljefe has got it right. If it weren't for PBS and NPR, I could gladly give up my radio and TV. Oops! I really didn't think before I wrote that. How could I give up my TV and miss the "Buffy" reruns! :evil:

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

ME: "Nobody knows the troubles I've seen!"

Unknown Voice: "The Shadow do!"

[quote] Originally posted by GZsound@hotmail.com: I watch Fox on a regular basis now because they give both sides and try to be fair. I know of no other media outlet that even attempts to be balanced. Get your information from NPR? No wonder you are out of touch with reality. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hahaha!!! That's hilarious. You were joking, right? 'Cause otherwise that's just antagonistic hot air.[/quote]Yeah, I hope that was a joke. I figured I would be better off not responding. But since I just started responding... 1) I didn't even mention NPR (although I enjoy NPR, as well). I was talking about PBS. 2) I had not even alluded to politics in my post. This thread started with a discussion of fluff overtaking serious subjects in TV news shows. I just said that I appreciated PBS's quality programming. If GZsound thinks that the PBS shows have an anti-conservative slant, then he should say so. I suspect that he's never seen these shows, since he confuses them with NPR programs. There are several major differences between PBS and NPR programs, one of which is that PBS's programs are accompanied by nifty animated pictures. 3) He claims that "I am out of touch with reality." Uh, right. I haven't posted enough on this message board for anybody to have the slightest inkling of what my opinions are, political or otherwise. So, basically, I said, "These are my favorite shows on PBS," and he responded, "NPR sucks, and you're out of touch with reality." All righty, then. Anyway, if that was a joke, then please disregard everything I just wrote. Nice one! Forgive my failure to see the tongue planted in your cheek. If it wasn't, then, hell: have fun watching "America's Wildest Police Videos."

Now, now, jefe, don't let the local psychopaths get you down. I was watching the news the other day and there's this big thing with Matthew Broderick and his wife, what's her name from Sex And The City coming out of the hospital with their new baby and there's like 500 photographers there and they're posing and I guess giving interviews and it's just weird. Who the hell cares that much about those people? They're just actors, but it's like they are royalty or something. I like Matthew Broderick but he's not my role model or an icon or anything. It's strange to me the way people worship celebrities. They're just people, very much like you and me.

[quote]Originally posted by Brakka: [b]Here's a local news teaser from a few days ago: (slightly paraphrased) [i]There's a new drug on the streets. Are your kids doing it? Is it in our schools? Tune in at 11 to find out what it is.[/i] Target audience: schoolkids, parents, teachers, and drug users. They showed pictures of this plant-like thing tied in small bundles, but I forgot to tune in at 11 to find out what it was. :freak: [/b][/quote]I think my local news had the exact same story the other day. I didn't tune in to watch it cuz I never watch the news, but my guess would be that they are talking about salvia. Pretty amazing though that they don't tell you a thing until you watch the news. With the internet news today TV news is always a step behind, so why bother?

[quote]Originally posted by Hippie: [b]My goodness! I turn on the 6:00 news and on 5 different news channels the big story is Wynona Ryder's shop-lifiting guilty verdict. [/b][/quote]Bright Side: Just look at it as a public service announcement to all our daughters out there, "Hey Kids, Shoplift, and you too can be an actress. I mean, felon. **The More You Know**"

Wewus, You saw [b]500[/b] photographers all posing and giving interviews?! WOW!!! That would've been, like, an Avedon moment or something!! Were any of them nude? Like, posing for other photographers, or something like that? Hey, shhh, I think I just predicted the next wave of commercial news [b]broad[/b] casting. rt

[b]I watch Fox on a regular basis now because they give both sides and try to be fair. I know of no other media outlet that even attempts to be balanced. Get your information from NPR? No wonder you are out of touch with reality.[/b][/QUOTE]Hahaha!!! That's hilarious. You [i]were[/i] joking, right? 'Cause otherwise that's just antagonistic hot air. I love it when the truth becomes "antagonistic hot air". Cool thing about you guys, rather than have any facts, it's so much easier to start with the insults. If you don't want both sides of a discussion (and it's obvious you don't) just stick with NPR. Who am I to try to open your mind?

Mark G.

"A man may fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame others" -- John Burroughs

"I consider ethics, as well as religion, as supplements to law in the government of man." -- Thomas Jefferson

I see Sony is now using CSN&Y's 'Carry On' in a commercial to sell video cameras. There goes another one of our anthems in the name of making a buck, Sad. The 'hippie dream' is over, dead & buried.
In two days, it won't matter.

CNN was ajoke, did you see their faces? It was the best thing about the night was watching them shit everywhere! The dems got kicked in the dick and the good thing is that I dont think they are going to learn anything, they will still follow Bill clinton and Terry M. till they finally die all together in the end. Liberals suck and Nov. 5 proved it.

Archived