Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

how to suspend 61 key midi controller above computer keyboard?

GeorgeG3

Can anyone please recommend a good keyboard stand or extension arm product for me to use?

My situation is that I have a lightweight 61 key midi controller keyboard that I need to suspend just above my computer keyboard. In other words, I am seated at my computer workstation (which is a standard type of desk), with my computer keyboard in an under-the-desk slide-out type tray which rolls out to me, seated in front of the desk.

I would like to somehow suspend the 61 key midi controller in the air just above the computer keyboard, without obstructing my view of the computer keyboard too much. This way, I could easily access both the computer keyboard and the midi controller at the same time.

Any solutions that you use, or suggestions for a specific product?

Right now, the only thing I can think of is a clamp-on computer monitor extension arm which you can buy at Staples or Office Depot, and which clamps onto the desk. Maybe with two of those computer monitor extension arms I could suspend my midi controller out above my computer keyboard.

Any good suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

[ 12-08-2001: Message edited by: GeorgeG3 ]

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hmm - don't know exactly, but make sure you get something strong - nothing that's flimsy. just imagine when you play - you have a heck of a lot of weight on the keyboard. tension is the worst enemy.

pray for peace,

kendall

"Consider how much coffee you're drinking - it's probably not enough."

You should look into anthro-carts. They can be configured to hold anything you want I've see pictures of them holding computers and keyboards and speakers. You can even get them wheeled. They usually adveritise in magazines like PC World and PC Magazine. They can send you a catalog. They are also very tech looking and cool.

Michael

Q:What do you call a truck with nothing in the bed,nothing on the hitch, and room for more than three people in the cab? A:"A car"....

Seems to me that rigging up something simply stable will be eaier than rigging up something ergonometric- like jimbyjoe says tension is the worst enemy!

The mouse is most grevious offender. However you set up the keyboards, get the mouse where you're not reaching up and out for it.

I've thought about this problem myself and the solution I have at the moment is to go the other direction and make everything very INconvenient so I'm continually standing and moving around. Less efficient in the short run, but I don't get cramps and can put in very long sessions, getting tired in a good way, not stiff and burned out.

The solution you suggest sounds interesting- keyboards and even other gear out on articulate arms. Met a guy who had a nice studio in a camper shell on the back of a truck. He had his "Captain Kirk" chair with just enough space to recline with a guitar and had everything surrounding him like the cockpit of a fighter plane. A couple of articulate arms would bring the few pieces of gear he had to stretch for right into reach.

-CB

Originally posted by GeorgeG3:

In other words, I am seated at my computer workstation (which is a standard type of desk), with my computer keyboard in an under-the-desk slide-out type tray which rolls out to me, seated in front of the desk.

I'm not getting it, George...

If your computer keyboard is on an under-the-desk slide-out tray (like mine is), why can't you just sit your MIDI controller keyboard on the desktop itself? That's what I do...

Sorry if I'm being dense here...

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Affiliations: Cloud Microphones • Music Player Network 

If your computer keyboard is on an under-the-desk slide-out tray (like mine is), why can't you just sit your MIDI controller keyboard on the desktop itself? That's what I do...

The reasons why I can't sit the MIDI controller on the desktop itself are:

1. I would then be awkwardly stretching my arms out, and hunching over to reaching the keys

2. I would be leaning over too close to the computer monitor when I am playing the MIDI controller.

So, I would like to sit back away from the computer monitor and easily switch from the MIDI controller to the computer keyboard while maintaining good sitting posture.

[ 12-09-2001: Message edited by: GeorgeG3 ]

Archived