Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

controllers, modules

Ungas_01

hello.. i just wanna ask, what is a good keyboard controller/module (combination) to use both on gigs, and sound recordings? im kinda getting tired of bringing big keyboards to gigs... i was thinking of getting a controller instead and a good module to go with it.. at the same time, my band is doing/ composing originals for our first ever album... anyone? :)

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's my $0.02 worth...

If I was tired of hauling big keyboards to & from gigs & studios and all I need are 76 keys, I would buy the roland A-37 midi controller with whatever sound module(s) that I like or need. Maybe a Roland XV3080/5080, a Korg Triton rack.

Kim ;)

Roland 5080

Korg Triton Rack

Emu Proteus 2500

Choose your price range. All have multiple outs and digital outs. All have a nice selection of expansion ROMs. All will continue to serve you well as you add other modules. Korg will sample but has the least polyphony. Roland will play back samples, and Emu has the ability to have E4 samples blown to memory chips. Roland has the best piano and natural instrument sounds. Korg has the best electric instrument sounds. Emu does not excell at anything but has no week points (such as the horrible Korg piano sound on the Triton series) and I like Emu expansion ROM's better than any other brand. Possibly because each ROM holds 4 banks of 128 presets.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Ktempo and Rabid hit it on the head. Light and portable is the way to go and your back will appreciate it.

I use an XP-30 and Triton Rack (I programmed the four sliders on the XP to control Mod, Vol, Portamento time and reverb depth in the Triton). When I need a second board, I use my D-50, but I am looking for an A-33 controller (the A-37 is the replacement) to add to the rig for give more midi flexibility.

Personally, I like to have a combination of modules to give a nice sound palette. Like Rabid said, Roland for pianos and natural sounds, Korg for electronic stuff and Rhodes sounds, Emu for phat basses and interesting pads. And when you start layering stuff, you'll really be cooking with GAS.... Good luck.

Yamaha (Motif XS7, Motif 6, TX81Z), Korg (R3, Triton-R), Roland (XP-30, D-50, Juno 6, P-330). Novation A Station, Arturia Analog Experience Factory 32

Thanks guys... im really tired of bringing my large stuff to gigs.. there are lots of really cool stuff out there just waiting to be picked... its really hard to choose (well, depending on what sound you wanna produce) i use a roland xp50, thats it! i just midi link it to whatever keyboard is at the venue (tho it works best, i think with an rd600)...

Archived