Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Too tired to sequence

jimbyjoe

uuuurrrrrrr.....

i finished work at 11:30pm last night. come home, read up on guy chambers (robbie william's keyboardist - www.guychambers.com), and finally role into bed at about 1am. get up at 7am to take my wife to shower etc and take my wife to work. maccas for breakfast (my day off treat) which includes the ever-decreasing taste of their coffee (still beats instant). then a one-hour singing lesson. then home to check my email and i fall asleep on the bed. it's now 12:15pm. i have to go to the shops later before i pick my wife up at 3:30pm. i've been dogging myself for days for not sequencing at least a drum track for a new song i finished last night. i am way too tired to do anything, but out of self-discipline i think i will turn this god (not God) called a computer off soon and sequence a drum track before going to shop. now tell me....

DOES ANYONE ELSE GET TOO TIRED TO GIVE A STUFF ABOUT RECORDING????? :mad:

if you do, how do you overcome it, or do you just procrastinate?

oh jeff from tascam - how i love your rhetoric on coffee. first of all about the getting a designer coffee on the way to work, and second - "and I'm a real bastard when I don't get it for some reason". you are one with my soul. :D

pray for peace,

kendall

"Consider how much coffee you're drinking - it's probably not enough."

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:o

oops - i did not mean:

"to take my wife to shower etc ". i meant to take my wife out of that phrase. no i did not have a shower with her this morning. :eek: it shows how tired i am though doesn't it.

dave from sydney - i can imagine what you're thinking.... :)

how did you go during those storms? pretty bad huh. my brother has a house in colloroy plateau and i know a lot of people on the north shore.

pray for peace always,

kendall

"Consider how much coffee you're drinking - it's probably not enough."

I'm no stranger to experiencing deep fatigue by the time I arrive at the part of the day when I can focus exclusively on music (on good days there are several such opportunities; on the typical bad day, it usally falls after the boy has gone to bed).

Right now, for example, I'm working on my compilation cover tune, laboring in vain, night after night, on getting at least a somewhat viable latin-ish groove going, and despairing that no matter how many patterns I try and on what drum sounds, it's never going to be more than a somewhat cheesy indicator, or denotator, of "latin," kind of like a sign that says "insert your own latin feel here." This experience in and of itself can breed the fatgue of discontent--banging your head against a personal limitation or the limitations of MIDI.

Then I spend my last 1-2 hours of music time every night working on my feeble piano chops. Teacherless at the moment, I've recently committed whole hog to scales and argeggios. When you're focused, this kind of practice can be great, not just because you're getting stuff under your fingers that will help down the road, but it's a great opportunity to re-approach theory, to observe all over again the basic relationships and symmetries that are the building blocks of western music. But if you're tired or fatigued, forget it. The repetition and lack of "musical" content is death. And I'm also watching the clock saying if I don't get to bed soon, tomorrow is going to be a bitch.

Yeah, man. It ain't easy, and it ain't always satisfying, and it can be tough to get up for it. The payoffs are frequent and exhilirating enough so that I never doubt that this is what I should be doing. Sometime I think the answer to fatigue is simply patience: accept where your head is at right now. Don't expect unimpeded progress of the kind you experience when you're at your sharpest and best. In the back of your mind, keep the thought that all time on music is good time, even when it doesn't feel good. This is my approach. Your results may vary.

I think I'm way off topic here. Perhaps I should re-read the original post...Whoops! Got to take my wife into the shower! Talk to you later.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Yes. It's sometimes tough to get things going fir me as well. I find that creating a schedule helps a lot. I'll put together all the things that "need" to be done, and then plan time to do the important music work.

Much of the time I work more efficiently this way because I can think about how I want to do something while I'm running errands, etc. instead of just doing it. The results are better, I'm less stressed, and I can deal with all the other things in my life.

It helps to think about what you want to accomplish before you go into the studio. I like to jot down a list of tasks beforehand - a little plan, if you will. Sometimes I'll add a time limit to each task to keep things clipping along. Something like...

(1) Fix hi hat part on tune X and make a first pass at a mix. (45 min)

(2) Decide on a piano patch for tune Y. (15 min)

(short break)

(3) Come up with a hip hop groove for tune Z. (45 min)

(4) Practice piano intro for tune Y. (25 min)

(return phone calls)

(5) Set up mics for tomorrow's vocal overdubs. (10 min)

(6) Download new version of plugin Q and install it. (30 min)

It's easy to become discouraged when projects go on for weeks or months. To avoid burnout, try to stay organized, work as efficiently as possible, and stay focused on the long term objective.

I'd say you're not having it that bad if you're taking you wife to the shower ;)

If this profession is your only income, make it your priority.

I know writers/producers who make it a point not to be disturbed from a certain time to a certain time, unless the phone rings and it's Faith or Shania :eek::eek::eek:

Imagine "that" :D

Archived