Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Elton John on A&E

Botch.

Anyone else catch the Elton John show last night? People called in requests and he and his band played them. The second song request was from a lady in NYC who had lost her husband on 9-11, she said he was a big fan and requested Rocket Man. I thought it was an odd tune to request until I heard the first verse, almost scary how it came to mean something else in light of the tragedy, I don't think there was a dry eye in the house when he'd finished. The only thing marring the evening, apparently they had not done a sound check, balances etc were WAY off, background singers obviously couldn't hear themselves as they were WAY off, but they got it dialed in after about two songs. Wonderful piano playing (his new CD is very heavy on piano if you like his older stuff!) I don't normally watch much TV, is this a regular thing they do on A&E?

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, I caught bits and pieces of it, thought it was pretty good. They did one about a week ago featuring Billy Joel that was much better IMO. He was at some university and taking questions from the audience and discussing the stories behind the songs and singing a few of his old tunes plus some of his new classical stuff, quite funny at times. AandE have have recently shown a few live concerts, I think they did one with Sting. Seems like there's a rash of live concerts being broadcast on TV recently.

Yeah, I caught bits and pieces of it, thought it was pretty good. They did one about a week ago featuring Billy Joel that was much better IMO. He was at some university and taking questions from the audience and discussing the stories behind the songs and singing a few of his old tunes plus some of his new classical stuff, quite funny at times. AandE have have recently shown a few live concerts, I think they did one with Sting. Seems like there's a rash of live concerts being broadcast on TV recently.

The Sting broadcast on A & E was the soon to be DVD of his concert in Tuscany on 9.11.01, which is the same concert recorded for his "All This Time" album.

I thought Elton was pretty cool, I saw him on Wednesday at Madison Square Garden, and he performed Rocket Man with the same extended arrangement, great then, and great last night.

I agree that the mix was horrible last night, I thought there was something wrong with my TV it was so bad. On Rocket Man, for instance, when he sings all that Rocket Man stuff at the end, there is a lot of echo on his voice which heightens the effect, and I couldn't hear any of that. All in all, though, it was been a great week for myself as relates to Elton John.

P.S. Was anyone else at the MSG shows?

Is it just a coincedence that everyone requested his "greatest hits"? Where are the more obscure requests? I mean, what real Elton John fan in his/her right mind would call in to request Crocodile Rock? Maybe they give the callers a list of songs that they could request.
Amateur Hack

Archived