Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Lonnie Donegan.....RIP

He died on Sunday on tour in England. I'm surprised by the lack of media attention because I've always considered him to be an important figure in music. His group influenced The Beatles (The Quarrymen), The Who (The Detours), Jimmy Page, Brian May, members of YES, etc. to start playing skiffle music and their first groups were skiffle bands. He was the one that made those guys bug their parents to buy them their first guitars. Skiffle music roots were largely American. Jug bands, country, folk, and blues. In 2000 he was awarded a Member of the Order of the British Empire, one of the highest honors in Britain.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by Hippie: [b]Sad news. There was no mention of his passing in the newspaper. His version of 'Rock Island Line' was one of the first *auctioneer-rap* tunes.[/b][/quote]Sorry, Hippie. But The Free Press mentioned it in their obits column Tuesday. Maybe you get The News? When I was a kid, I had his record "Does Your Chewing Gum etc. etc.", but spent more time listening to the B side, a cover of an old American folky tune called "Aunt Rhoda." There was a guitar solo on there that knocked me OUT! I can't be sure if it was Donegan doing it or not. Certainly, the man deserved not to be overlooked. Whitefang
I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

RIP to a great artist and influence. I had seen his name many times but only recently heard his recordings. That band upstairs just keeps getting bigger and bigger.

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

Archived