Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My AES Experience - or - Meeting Dave

Magpel

My friend Anthony from ADL Labs got me a pass, so I figured why not. I haven't been in the city since 9/11, not because I'm afraid of the place but because I haven't had cause or time to go since then, but I thought lest any irrational aversion to NYC should take hold and I start to feel I can live without the city, best to haul butt down, just for a couple of hours on Saturday to ogle the AES buffet.

Seems like I spent most of my time wandering through the exhibits, sneaking peripheral scans of people's badges, sometimes catching people doing the same to me. From the looks I was getting, I felt like my name must have been scrawled on construction paper with crayon, and some backwards k's and n's. It must have been just my own insecurity...or was it. "Yeah, sure, I'm a pro, in a semi-, amateurish kinda way..."

The exhibits of course were lovely and induced some acute G.A.S. I wasn't so fired up by the big studio stuff, but try to walk by a bunch of Neumans or a rack of distressors or Vipres and not feel just a little "acquisitive." BTW, the only keyboard I saw in the room was a Kurzweil PC2x at the Tascam booth, where they need a board to demo Gigastudio, I suppose. I did not see Tascam guy there, unless Jeff wasn't sporting a badge.

Saw a somewhat schticky but nonetheless cool presentation at the MOTU booth on DP and the altiverb. MAC envy struck, so I moved on, hearing Steadyb in my head, calling me a "bedroom professional"...

One of my objectives, of course, was to meet Mr. Bryce. So after I scooped up a free issue of Sound on Sound with the Andromeda on the cover (my Dave magnet) I set off for the A.D.A.M booth. Dave wasn't there, so after a while (and a $3 diet coke) I headed down to the rooms where the monitors were being demoed. Dave wasn't there either, but I was treated to a really nice demo of the whole A.D.A.M. line. Impressive stuff. Monitors are on my upgrade short list, so this was time well spent.

I was also treated to my first 5.1 demo (I'm almost ashamed to say that) on the A.D.A.M.s. But the nice fellow doing the demo couldn't get the DVD player to play. Shortly thereafter, some energetic bearded guy came roaring into the room, jokingly yelling, "what'd you do to it?" It was Dave all right, and he took over the show from there. I was thinking, well, he's working here, I'm not going to make a fool of myself and say, "uh, like, hi. I'm on your forum a lot." But during the demo, Dave caught a glimpse of my badge. His face lit up, he yelled "hey!" and gave me a hug. It immediately confirmed what I've always thought about this big-hearted fellow.

Dave's voice was shot, but his energy was high, his love for those ADAMs, and his love for music, readily apparent. Only got to chat with him for a cordial minute. He asked how things were on the forum in his absence. I said total chaos. People posting introductions in Let's Hear It, Cricket threads, NFL pool falling apart.

For me, that was more or less mission accomplished. Got back to the city, saw and heard some nice gear, met Dave, made it to Grand Central to catch the 3:00 and was home by 5:00.

Ah, the dizzying life of music...

John

[ 12-02-2001: Message edited by: Magpel ]

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Errata: It occurs to me now that my post suggests that I was in the NYC on 9/11. I was not. I was my usual 70 miles to the north, blown away like everyone everywhere, and watching the skies.

John, great post! Thanks for sharing your experiences. I wish I could have been there.

Fortunately, I've met Dave, listened to the A.D.A.M.s (although not in surround...ooooh!), and I've been to a few AES shows. But this show in New York, at this time, was special. I'm glad you went.

Take care,

Geoff

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

And if anyone wants to see what Big Dave looks like - he's not the kind of guy you'd want to pick a fight with ;) - click here for photos from last Friday's SSS dinner. Click on the Parties and SSS AES Dinner folders to navigate to the photo pages.

Originally posted by dansouth@yahoo.com:

And if anyone wants to see what Big Dave looks like - he's not the kind of guy you'd want to pick a fight with ;) - click here for photos from last Friday's SSS dinner. Click on the Parties and SSS AES Dinner folders to navigate to the photo pages.

AVERY!!!! Yu da man!!!!

Michael

"I may be a craven little coward, but I'm a greedy craven little coward." Daffy Duck

Originally posted by Magpel:

...hearing Steadyb in my head, calling me a "bedroom professional"...

hm.

hmmm...

HMMMMMM...

now how does one go about qualifying as a "bedroom professional?" Isn't that the second oldest profession? :D

Sounds like a fun day, John, thanks for the report.

Is it just my illusion or does the world seem like a much smaller place since 9/11? My sister Lydia was in NYC today, also for the first time since 9/11 (her husband works in the city- they live in Babylon). These forums stretch around the world and it seems that recently many members are meeting each other and there's much less than "six degrees of seperation" for so many here.

-CB

Originally posted by Magpel:

I moved on, hearing Steadyb in my head, calling me a "bedroom professional"...

John

John,

...that must have been during a spirited Mac vs PC debate,

(although I suppose it's better than being called "bedroom unprofessional") ...but please don't ever move on based on anything I say (except of course unless its regarding the Lakers, er...CHAMPS)

The funny thing is, most of the really cool freelance music work I've done over the last few years (that I was paid well for) was done on PC. I just think Macs are much more reliable and much less unpredictable, and I'm not enough of a computer expert to solve many of the "mysteries of the PC".

Glad you got to meet Dave, I wish I could've gone. I do love New York. Sounds like you had a great time.

steadyb

p.s.

As for as the $3.00 diet coke, wait 'til NAMM in Anaheim...it's $4.00

[ 12-03-2001: Message edited by: steadyb ]

Thanks for posting the Pics, it's cool finally getting to put a face to a few names here.

Good Lord, Dave!!! I would have never pictured you. You look like you belong on the defensive line of a pro football team, not behind a keyboard :D:D

I bet nobody gives his bandmates too much shit at gigs :D

Originally posted by dansouth@yahoo.com:

Nice pictures Dan, you could have told us about them sooner, but your timing was perfect anyway. Casey

Casey :)

[ 12-03-2001: Message edited by: kcbass ]

"Let It Be!"

Steadyb, just to clarify, you never called me, or anyone in particular, a bedroom professional--I think you've got a bit too much class for that. You are right, though, the phrase, came up in one of the OS wars, and it stuck with me, perhaps because *I* felt well-described by it. Yeah, my studio is in a spare bedroom, and yeah I'm a "professional" in that I make almost enough money writing music for theater and video to cover my G.A.S...

So, it was just a joke. And, actually, sorry if it seems to depict you as some kind of snob, which is not the way you strike me, outside of the Lakers, that is.

Originally posted by steadyb:

John,

...that must have been during a spirited Mac vs PC debate,

(although I suppose it's better than being called "bedroom unprofessional") ...but please don't ever move on based on anything I say (except of course unless its regarding the Lakers, er...CHAMPS)

The funny thing is, most of the really cool freelance music work I've done over the last few years (that I was paid well for) was done on PC. I just think Macs are much more reliable and much less unpredictable, and I'm not enough of a computer expert to solve many of the "mysteries of the PC".

Glad you got to meet Dave, I wish I could've gone. I do love New York. Sounds like you had a great time.

steadyb

p.s.

As for as the $3.00 diet coke, wait 'til NAMM in Anaheim...it's $4.00

[ 12-03-2001: Message edited by: steadyb ]

Originally posted by kcbass:

Nice pictures Dan, you could have told us about them sooner, but your timing was perfect anyway.

Sooner?? I took them on Friday evening and posted them on Sunday morning. Only Superman can go faster than that. :D

I'm pissed. Well, not really, but a little, for selfish reasons.

In as much as I liked the fact that I only stayed at the show for a couple of days so I could get home to my little son before he could get REALLY angry at me for being away, I missed out on a lot of social shit that I usually really like at AES.

I missed the dinner Friday night doing a business dinner instead. I missed hanging out at bars and getting sloshy with old pals ("I love you man...") since my one other night was spent at the TEC awards. All in all, it was a good show for me and TASCAM, but I do like to take the opportunity to spend some quality time with my friends. Missed that entirely.

But I didn't miss Dave Bryce. We saw each other for about a half second before Les Paul and his people came by my booth, and then I had to go pretty quick, of course. I'll have to go over to dB's place sometime soon and hang out, let our kids play and make up the time we weren't able to spend together in NYC.

- Jeff

Since I'm sure Mr Bryce will check this thread eventually..

Hey Dave.. there's a thread over on GM's forum you should check out:

http://www.musicplayer.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=001915

Gotta LOVE those ADAM's!

Phil O'Keefe

Sound Sanctuary Recording

Riverside CA

http://www.ssrstudio.com

pokeefe777@ssrstudio.com

Originally posted by pokeefe777@msn.com:

Since I'm sure Mr Bryce will check this thread eventually..

Since the show ended yesterday, he'll be traveling today. I always go to shows with the best intentions of checking email, getting online, posting stuff and so on. Then the reality hits that I don't have a spare second to do any of these things, and my laptop only gets put into use for keeping myself entertained on planes.

Dave Bryce and I used to room together at trade shows way back in the mid '90s. I'd wake up at 3:00am, hearing a strange clicking sound, only to discover the crazy bastard typing away while posting on Craig Anderton's original SSS forum, or rec.music.makers.synth, or whatever. The guy has far too much energy for any single human being. It's enough to make normal people exhausted from just being around him, actually.

- Jeff

Originally posted by Jeff, TASCAM Guy:

The guy has far too much energy for any single human being. It's enough to make normal people exhausted from just being around him, actually.

- Jeff

That's for darn sure, Jeff! I'm tired just thinking about keeping up with him!

;)

lz

www.lauriez.com

Yeah, Dave is a bundle of energy, and one heck of a nice guy to boot. I knew it would be a while before he'd be able to check the threads with the travel situation (sorry you had such a miserable travel experience Jeff - I'd love to hear all the gory details sometime), but thought he might want to check that link out since it pertains to "his" products.

Phil O'Keefe

Sound Sanctuary Recording

Riverside CA

http://www.ssrstudio.com

pokeefe777@ssrstudio.com

Archived