Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

recording knob movements and other questions....

industriac

Im thinking of adding some variations in my music by using the 4 real time controller knobs on my KARMA, and I can probably also manipulate the grooves generated by the KARMA using the knobs for KARMA. I know, or I think I know, the knobs send midi cc data. Now, how would I record the knob movements on a track so when I play back the track I can hear the music manipulated by the knob I moved?

Also, I am doing this on the internal sequencer of my KARMA.

Second question -

I found what "LFO" means a couple of days ago. Now, what would I use the LFO's for or where would I use it? And, why would I want to sync it to midi clock or the tempo of a song?

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Now, how would I record the knob movements on a track so when I play back the track I can hear the music manipulated by the knob I moved?

Not being totally familiar with the specifics of the Karma's sequencer I can't be totally sure, but most sequencers record CC data concurrently with the sequence so you could add another track on the same midi channel, record enable it and tweak your knobs while the note sequence plays. You will need to make sure that the note sequence doesn't "echo" back to this new track or you will have two tracks with the note sequence where you want one with the note data and one with the CC data. After recording you can merge the tracks or leave them separate to make editing easier. More simply, many sequencers allow you to record midi data on top of data already in a track, so you would just record enable the note track and tweak away. Your tweaks would be recorded and you would be all set.

Now, what would I use the LFO's for or where would I use it? And, why would I want to sync it to midi clock or the tempo of a song?

The LFO is great for making a track pan smoothly or having a smooth phasing/filtering/etc. effect. Basically use it for any rhythmic effect. It can be gradual (if you use a sine or saw wave) or abrupt (if you use a square wave). You can basically adjust any parameter with exact rhythm using this function. The benefit of sync-ing to midi clock or tempo is that you can have filter sweeps or whatever start and end on exactly the right points in the song (like the start of the measure or every other quarter note) without having to figure it out by trial and error.

-Casey

[ 12-01-2001: Message edited by: cg1155 ]

Archived