Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I'm working on a MemoryMoog...

studioman adam

I need some help with this one. It has no output although it looks like it's changing patches. The display has a bunch of "twinkling stars" that don't stop unless I push the autotune button, and then the whole thing freezes. I'd appreciate any help anyone can give and I'd be willing to do just about anything in return. Thanks! :)

Adam

studioman adam

[][][][][][][][][][][][]

"uh........OK?"

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Once upon a time I sold consumer electronics. When Zenith

came up with a line of advanced tv's the microprocessor would lock up. We found that unpluging (don't just turn it off) the set for at least 15 min. would unlock (or reboot) it. Now to the memory-moog same theory. The idea by unplugging it for a time is it resets it and makes sure the capacitors are drained. This generally works for most things without a dedicated reset button but with a micro-proccesor.

Also if you have the model with the built in sequencer check for anything unusual as far as routings.

It's been ages since I've dealt with one of these things but something that rings a bell is hold down the auto-tune while you power up if the unpluging idea doesn't work.

What was the machine doing before it started giving you this problem?

Michael

Q:What do you call a truck with nothing in the bed,nothing on the hitch, and room for more than three people in the cab? A:"A car"....

Maybe it thinks your trying to load from casette. The Display numbers do what you describe under this situation. When you say no output, I assume you mean no audio. I've worked on mine many times but never had this partiucular problem. Try hitting C1, C2 or C3 and see if this clears it up.

I answered under GM's forum.

It might be the battery, or just the general overheating problem of the Memorymoog. I had one years ago that I eventually got rid of because those problems got worse and worse. I sold it just before (Linntronics ?) started offering the rebuild kit.

Sometimes when the oscillators are too out of tune, the processor can not focus. Have you got all six (18) oscillators tuning?

Mostly though the Memorymoog problems stem from overheating. Does your Memorymoog have the heat-sync on the back? Has a fan been installed?

Try the battery.

Oh yeah? That's fine for you, you're an accepted member of the entertainment community. What about me? What about Igor? Marginalized by Hollywood yet again. I want my Mummy . . .

OH - look - you again?

;)

OK. I did actually test the millinia-old battery which registered in just fine at 3.5V. How do I find out if the ocscillators are tuning? Linntronics offers a kit?

I need to look some more.

thanks again!

adam - "it's all achoo."

studioman adam

[][][][][][][][][][][][]

"uh........OK?"

Archived