Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Give thanks if you've been blessed with a massive organ!

dansouth

Or a nice piano. Or a happening studio. Or some synths that you really enjoy.

We all have something to be thankful for. Let's acknowledge those thanks this week.

I'm thankful for many wonderful blessings, my bright, shiny studio being one of the MINOR ones. I'm also thankful for the opportunity to have participated on the Keybord Corner Compilation CD. That was a blast!!!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm thankful that Dan South rips off my freakin' posts from other forums, you rat bastard fuck!

No, wait, I'm not thankful for that, and Dan is not a Rat Bastard Fuck. Strike that. Pretend you never saw it. Okay.

- I'm thankful that I get to work in the industry that I would choose for a hobby even if my vocation was in shoelace manufacturing.

- I'm thankful for good friends. Old ones and new ones. In fact, I like the new ones better than the old ones. I'm ditching those old people. No, kidding, I love 'em all.

- My healthy, mostly happy family.

- New music! From Me! Whoo-hoo!

- The internet. Where would I be without it? Where was I before it? Did I even exist before the browser? Maybe I'm a figment of my own imagination. Never mind.

- This and other forums and usenet newsgroups. Not being overly dramatic, but they've saved my ass a couple of times. To the people and the technology, I salute you!

Thanks.

- Jeff

i haven't yet shared in jeff's thanks thread, so i'll throw down here:

my cheapo no-name nylon string guitar

the nba on tnt

the nyt crossword

people that are normally cool-headed letting loose (jeff above, phil on a troll)

coffee cup i've had for years that won't break

and i'm also thankful that dansouth is not a Rat Bastard Fuck

i'm thankful for:

- my life

- my wife

- the ability to play music (when i can play it :rolleyes: )

- all my gear

- my family

- my new job in a government carpark where though it's shift work i generally get to sit on my butt and read books :)

- basically everything

- that i'm gonna be a rock star one day soon!!!!!!!

without being naive or sarcastic, what do you guys celebrate thanksgiving for? we just don't have that concept over here. is it just thanking God for things?

"Every good and perfect is is from the Father......"

pray for peace,

k

"Consider how much coffee you're drinking - it's probably not enough."

Originally posted by jimbyjoe:

i'm thankful for:

- my life

- my wife

- the ability to play music (when i can play it :rolleyes: )

- all my gear

- my family

- my new job in a government carpark where though it's shift work i generally get to sit on my butt and read books :)

- basically everything

- that i'm gonna be a rock star one day soon!!!!!!!

without being naive or sarcastic, what do you guys celebrate thanksgiving for? we just don't have that concept over here. is it just thanking God for things?

"Every good and perfect is is from the Father......"

pray for peace,

k

Some of the earliest americans were Thankful for a new land without the drags from the old country, so they were Thankful. The tradition continues.

There is not of enough space and time for the things I`m Thankful for. Casey

[ 11-20-2001: Message edited by: kcbass ]

"Let It Be!"

Originally posted by surfjazz:

heck...im just thankful to God for the gift of music. without the ability to play,i would never need the equipment...

Amen!!! Praise God!!! :D:D:D

[ 11-19-2001: Message edited by: dyoung46@bellsouth.net ]

Yamaha MODX8, Korg Kronos 2 61, Hammond B3, Novation 61SL MKII, Impulse 61, Roland D-550, Proteus 2000, etc......to name a few.

I give thanks to Jeff, who comes up with all of my new ideas. :D

Jeff's just mad because he doesn't have a massive organ, just a little, puny, stringy thing that goes "wang, wang, wang..." ;)

Hey, Jeff, I DID suggest that you post over here! :rolleyes:

Well...

My organ is not eaxctly "massive" but my girl always thank me for... hey, wait a second... this is a music forum... :D ... ok...

I love to be a musician. I love -and thank- the fact of being a moderator of a Forum @ MusicPlayer.com. I love to be here, alive and posting this message, started by a very good friend called Dan South.

As a matter of fact, I'm happy of being alive.

Let's celebrate making some music !!

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

Originally posted by surfjazz:

heck...im just thankful to God for the gift of music. without the ability to play,i would never need the equipment...

Who says you gotta be old to be wise? Well put, brother! ;)

My wife, family, friends, the privilege of making a living doing what I love. Most of all, for life. Three weeks ago today a cousin of mine in Chicago went out of town for a business meeting. He checked into a motel and never woke up the next morning. He apparently had a heart seizure in his sleep. He was only 45 and a model of good health and fitness. He ate right, exercised faithfully, and neither smoked, drank, nor did any drugs. He had no health problems or conditions that anyone knew about. He left behind a wife and two kids, 10 and 12. Great guy. Everyone who knew him liked him.

My point is this; None of us know when our turn will come up, so I believe it's important to be grateful for every day we have. Tomorrow is neither guaranteed nor owed to us. So don't forget to play some music today! :D

Peace all,

Steve

><>

Steve

What is it actualy, thanksgiving? We don't have a thing like that in the Netherlands.

B.t.w, I will thank life itself. The sun is not always shining but I am a lucky, healthy boy.

:keys: My Music:thx: I always wondered what happened after the fade out?

So much to be thankful for this year:

A great day job that's challenging and fun,

A great girlfriend who just signed a book deal,

Two wonderful, healthy Corgis that put a smile on my face,

A great band, good fellow musicians AND great friends,

An upcoming gig playing the Winter Olympics,

A Taliban that's falling faster than any of us expected,

Not feeling the need for another keyboard ALL YEAR,

Netscape 6.2,

A federal judge that's slapping down some of Utah's dumb liquor laws,

A great group of friends I've not met on these boards,

And a weather forecast for SNOW all Thanksgiving weekend!!!

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

What is Thanksgiving? I hear some of our international brothers asking the question, so here is Jeff's History of Thanksgiving.

Although the first Thanksgiving is often portrayed to children of this country as a happy gathering between the settlers who migrated to this country in search of religious and political freedom in the mid-1600s and the native inhabitants of this land, the truth, as usual, is quite different. Here is a more accurate description:

On June 20, 1676, the governing council of Charlestown, Massachusetts, held a meeting to determine how best to express thanks for the good fortune that had seen their community securely established. Here is their proclamation:

"The Holy God having by a long and Continual Series of his Afflictive dispensations in and by the present Warr with the Heathen Natives of this land, written and brought to pass bitter things against his own Covenant people in this wilderness, yet so that we evidently discern that in the midst of his judgements he hath remembered mercy, having remembered his Footstool in the day of his sore displeasure against us for

our sins, with many singular Intimations of his Fatherly Compassion, and regard; reserving many of our Towns from Desolation Threatened, and attempted by the Enemy, and giving us especially of late with many of our Confederates many signal Advantages against them, without such Disadvantage to ourselves as formerly we have been sensible of, if it be the Lord's mercy that we are not consumed, It certainly bespeaks our positive Thankfulness, when our Enemies are in any measure disappointed or destroyed; and fearing the Lord should take notice under

so many Intimations of his returning mercy, we should be found an Insensible people, as not standing before Him with Thanksgiving, as well as lading him with our Complaints in the time of pressing Afflictions:

The Council has thought meet to appoint and set apart the 29th day of this instant June, as a day of Solemn Thanksgiving and praise to God for such his Goodness and Favour, many Particulars of which mercy might be Instanced, but we doubt not those who are sensible of God's Afflictions, have been as diligent to espy him returning to us; and that the Lord may behold us as a People offering Praise and thereby glorifying Him; the Council doth commend it to the Respective Ministers, Elders and people of this Jurisdiction; Solemnly and seriously to keep the same Beseeching that being perswaded by the mercies of God we may all, even this whole people offer up our bodies and soulds as a living and acceptable Service unto God by Jesus Christ."

So, in other words, it's the exact opposite from the legend. The colonists were basically giving thanks to God for their ability to kick ass on the people who were living here before they moved in and took over the place.

Anyway, over the years, Thanksgiving has come to hold quite a different meaning to the American people. By 1789, for instance, the first American President George Washington proclaimed that, "Whereas it is the duty of all nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey His will, to be grateful for His benefits, and humbly to implore His protection and favor; and Whereas both Houses of Congress have, by their joint committee, requested me to recommend to the people of the United States a day of public thanksgiving and prayer, to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many and signal favors of Almighty God, especially by affording them an opportunity peaceably to establish a form of government for their safety and happiness."

So, at that point, the holiday was still deeply rooted in religion and (here's some PR for ya) public praise of the government. Even in 1863, in the midst of the Civil War, President Lincoln declared the official day of the holiday to be the last Thursday in November, and reminded people that its purpose was to give thanks to God, who "while dealing with us in anger for our sins, hath nevertheless remembered mercy."

In 2001 (and for the last 50 years or so), Thanksgiving has taken on much less of a specific religious angle and become an American holiday for people of all backgrounds. The celebration is usually a gathering of family members and friends, some of whom travel all over the country to be with others. The holiday itself centers around a large meal. Traditionally, the meal consists of items like turkey with stuffing, yams (sweet potatoes), cranberry sauce other entrees/side dishes and desserts (pumpkin pie is traditional as well).

There are usually several American football games on television on Thanksgiving Day; watching these games can be as much of the tradition these days as any other aspect of the holiday. Thanksgiving, to most people, also marks the official start of the holiday season, which lasts through Christmas and New Years Eve.

But the true meaning of modern Thanksgiving is to make yourself aware of being thankful for the aspects of your life that you may take for granted on a normal basis throughout the year. That's why I really like the holiday. That...and the food.

That's all I can think of for the time being. Anyone want to add anything?

- Jeff

Originally posted by dansouth@yahoo.com:

I give thanks to Jeff, who comes up with all of my new ideas. :D

I return thanks to Dan, for validating my ideas by blatantly ripping them off. :D Love you man.

Jeff's just mad because he doesn't have a massive organ, just a little, puny, stringy thing that goes "wang, wang, wang..." ;)

My wang is not stringy! Oh wait, never mind, I get it. Hey, I have an organ and a woody, wangy thing. And a guitar.

Hey, Jeff, I DID suggest that you post over here!

Yeah, and then three minutes later you did it yourself! You evil rat bastard thread stealing fuck! :D:D

Happy T-Day to you and yours, my friend.

- Jeff

OK, here goes... I'm thankful for:

•  
  • My family, immediate and extended.
  • My (almost) 3-year old son singing along with his favorite video (Veggie Tales at this point in time), and my ability to dismiss this theme from my head (sometimes).
  • My friends, musical or not.
  • My parents' foresight and patience in supplying me with musical instruments, music lessons, and backing (spiritual and financial) even when they could afford it least.
  • The six years I made my living playing music.
  • The last 11 years when I made my living doing something else, but continued to make and appreciate music.
  • My wife's patience, with me and my music, regardless of whether I'm inspired, frustrated, or joyful.
  • My teachers who taught me perspective, discipline, harmony, and other skills that made music a love, not a chore.
  • The physical things (my piano, keyboards, computer, microphone, stands and other accessories) that let me make my music.

Im thankful for a good job with people I like and a cause worth working for.

Im thankful that after a stressful day at work I can go home, turn on a keyboard, and play until I am relaxed.

Im thankful for being part of a family that can count on each other.

Im thankful for some close friends that take care of each other like family.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Originally posted by Jeff, TASCAM Guy:

There are usually several American football games on television on Thanksgiving Day;

- Jeff

So there is a connection to our forum... The gods are with us! Let us all be thankfull for this forum. Thank you all, brothers and Valckie! :D

:keys: My Music:thx: I always wondered what happened after the fade out?

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

Steadyb just acts like he does. Remember, he's an Emagic guy - he has a virtual plug-in organ. :D

HA! You know when you actually laugh out loud while reading a post or an email, but "LOL" has become such a cliche that you don't feel it does justice?

Well, I just laughed at steadyb's virtual plug-in organ. Who can you make fun of as much as your friends? There's another thing for which we can be thankful...friends to rip on, harshly.

- Jeff (much nicer to my enemies)

Ehi Jeff, thanks for the history lesson. Good reading.

I like to think I am thankful every day for the good things I have... But being more or less an atheist, I find difficult to address my feeling to some kind of definite entity.

Anyway, I am thankful to the spirit of the universe for having lived a rather eventful life, to this point at last;

for earning my living as a musician, and being also so crazy to keep believing in the music I love - given the place where I live and some of the circumstances of my life, I guess that's quite an achievement!

I'm also thankful for having really, really good friends I can rely on - and not just one or two;

I also appreciate all the beautiful women I've met and I've still to meet :D

And of course, I'm more than thankful for all the wonderful feelings that music give me - I'm surprised every time by the intensity of all this. There's nothing else like it!

Carlo

Well, you folk have pretty much covered it. Thankful for my wife and son, the crazy people I've known, the relatively interesting career(s) I've been fortunate to pursue, and the fact that as I head toward 40 I still feel my life to be full of boundless potential and prospects, i.e., I still dream, and not untenably, of the role of music continuing to expand in my life.

And while it's a modest and remote thing, this online community, I don't feel ashamed to say I'm thankful for you all: good company, bequeathers of musical and technical wisdom. Pros, semi-pros, and passionate hobbyists all move through here with a minimum of posturing and ego games, and I think that's in part a reflection of Mr. Bryce's essential coolness as host, so thanks, Dave, for a good job.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Originally posted by Magpel:

thanks, Dave, for a good job.

Kind words - thank you, sir!

I am thankful for:

My health

My freedom

My family

My friends

My dogs

My home

My toys

Good food

Great art in every form - visual, aural or otherwise

The Raiders ;)

This forum and the people who hang out here

The fact that something somewhere allowed me to have the ability to be able to express myself through being able to play music. I am grateful every day for this gift, and blown away by what a wonderous thing it is to be able to do.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Archived