Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

It Was 35 Years Ago Today

soapbox

Elton John recorded one of the best live albums of all time, 11/17/70, thirty five years ago today!

Just taking notice... ;)

Note: I originally created this thread four years ago at the time of the album's 31st anniversary, but I'm editing the title and bumping the thread in honor of the 35th anniversary

Best,

Geoff

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by soapbox:

Elton John recorded one of the best live albums of all time, 11/17/70, thirty one years ago today!

Just taking notice... ;)

The date triggered memories of Hendrix. His birthday is 11/27 (1942), and he died on 9/19/70 (nine-one-nine, instead of nine-one-one). Neither is an exact match, but 11/17/70 was similar enought to catch my eye.

Then there's the infamous 11/22. This year, Thanksgiving falls on that sad date. And of course, December 7th is right around the corner. No wonder I don't care for autumn!

Um, what were we talking about again? ;)

Originally posted by soapbox:

Gee Dan, thanks for remembering! I didn't know you knew that I started taking piano lessons on December 7th, 1965! ;)

Yep, it'll be 36 years in less than a month!

Well, soapbox, I hope you don't consider that to be "a date that will live in infamy!" ;)

My musical landmark dates always coincide with some fucked-up piece of history.

First piano lesson: December 7, 1971. A date that will live in infamy, plus 30 years.

First guitar recital: December 8, 1980...John Lennon killed at the same time as I was playing! :(

Biggest gig as a youth: Can't remember the date (early fall, 1985), but it was the same day that the space shuttle Challenger exploded. We were lined up to play a big local festival thing in front of a few thousand kids, and no one was in the mood for loud, happy rock-and-roll it seemed.

And no, I did not have a gig on September 11 this year, thank god. Maybe my curse is broken.

- Jeff

Originally posted by surfjazz:

wish i could say it makes me feel old but since i am only 18,ill just revel in the wonder of youth.

we may be young but we already have dates to remember

makes me wonder 20 years from now how many dates ill have...

and good thing or bad? road of life holds some neat surprizes....

Well, let's see...when Surfjazz were born:

- I was in my sophomore year of high school, driving my first car, playing in two bands, going out with three different chicks and smoking weed 24/7.

- Dave Bryce was a respectable 22 year old, presumably playing the cool synths from 1983 and maybe even already selling music gear in Boston, Philly or somewhere else back east.

- Ronald Reagan was our President :eek:

- Duran Duran was HUGE! All New Romantic (new wave) bands were the big thing that year, as well as Culture Club, Dexy's Midnight Runners, Men at Work and the lot. I, personally, listened to Iron Maiden and old Zeppelin that year.

- The cool candy: Jelly Bellys. The cool car in So. Cal.: a '65 Mustang or a Toyota 4x4. The cool jacket: Members Only, with the stupid useless epilettes. Oh, and MTV actually played music then. You'll have to trust me on that one.

Although I hardly speak from the perspective of aged wisdom, I will tell you one old adage that stands the test of time: youth is wasted on the young. ;)

- Jeff

I like this game! When Surfjazz was born:

I was 24 and gigging in clubs throughout the southwest in a Phoenix based "modern rock" band, called 1933. I thought we would be the next Duran Duran. I played an Oberheim OB-8 and a Yamaha DX7; and I sang cover tunes such as "Don't You Forget About Me," "True," and "Rio."

Our band was formed by a Los Angeles based guy who also managed a band called OXO. OXO had a hit song called "Whirly Girl," and they were on tour as the opening act for Hall and Oates. Our manager told us that we were better than OXO and that we would likely would surpass their success. He was wrong (at least about the second part).

Still, those were great times. It was the most fun I ever had in a band.

[ 11-19-2001: Message edited by: soapbox ]

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

I'll play: When Surfjazz was born...

I was serving in the army! (not my choice, obviously...)

Easily the worst year of my life. No wait, the worst *six months*... because in the second half, my duty was playing Hammond, directing and arranging a very powerful band! Three horns, guitar, bass, drums and me... I had the power to choose the musicians for the job, we went *touring* and I wrote about 100 charts! And take this... They BOUGHT AN HAMMOND ORGAN FOR ME with the army's money!! They kept it afterward, though... :)

Carlo

Originally posted by Jeff, TASCAM Guy:

Well, let's see...when Surfjazz were born:

- I was in my sophomore year of high school, driving my first car, playing in two bands, going out with three different chicks and smoking weed 24/7.

hehe sounds VERY familar :)

exept the high school thing

- The cool candy: Jelly Bellys. The cool car in So. Cal.: a '65 Mustang or a Toyota 4x4. The cool jacket: Members Only, with the stupid useless epilettes. Oh, and MTV actually played music then. You'll have to trust me on that one.

MTV played music? get outta here :)

you must mean they played the advertisements to the music

and jelly bellies are the bomb!

Although I hardly speak from the perspective of aged wisdom, I will tell you one old adage that stands the test of time: youth is wasted on the young. ;)

- Jeff

This did begin as an Elton John topic, and I will continue with that. I was totally aware that November 17th was the 31 year anniversary of Elton's "11-17-70" live show. A friend of my older brother's was driving around Los Angeles when that show came over the radio on 11/17/70. He had a recordable cassette deck in his car and taped the entire concert from his car. It doesn't sound any worse than the album or CD of the show. The difference is that this tape is twice as long as the album. It's 90 minutes. This tape changed my life. I wrote in my "introduction" post about this event. I had been playing piano for about 2 years, I was 11 at the time, and I had started to get bored with piano. But then, I heard this 90 minute tape of 11-17-70 and got the bug bad.

I think of November 17th as a special day in my own personal history every year. I realize that I am a week late in finding this thread, but here I am. I am very glad to see that someone else thought that this record was as great as I do.

My last thought on the subject - last July, as I was driving up the 5 from Los Angeles to Sacremento to play a gig, I had one of my band's (the Steely Fan Band) guitarists in the car. He is 27 years old, and did not think much of Elton. I took my tape of 11-17-70 on this trip and played if for him. He was blown away. He had no idea that Elton could play like that, sing like that, and encite a riot in the audience like that !!! Plus, the Elton John band back then consisted of only three players - Elton, Dee Murray on Bass, and Nigel Olson on Drums. This was a power trio to be sure.

OK. Back to your regular scheduled program.

Oh, by the way, I am now the proud owner of a Yamaha S 80 keyboard. Very very happy boy, me.

Steveedan

11/22/1963 - My mother was apparently quite upset by the assasination of Pres. Kennedy and as a result (she claims) went into early labour. The doctors were able to hold off hard labour for 10 days through bed rest and drugs, but I was born 6 weeks premature on Dec 2 1963. I suppose I can understand the uncertainty the assasination of an American President at the height of the cold war could cause - even in neighbouring Canada.
Our country is not the only thing to which we owe our allegiance. It is also owed to justice and to humanity. Patriotism consists not in waving the flag, but in striving that our country shall be righteous as well as strong: James Bryce

• 3 years later...

I'm listening to it now. Elton is jamming on "Take Me To The Pilot" with Dee Murray (bass) and Nigel Olsson (drums).

The release was recorded live at A&R Recording Studios, New York, New York on November 17, 1970 for a live radio broadcast on WABC-FM, New York, New York. The recording engineer was Phil Ramone:

Originally posted at AllMusic.com:

The great thing about this early live record is its obscurity -- not just that this isn't one of his better-known records, but that the set list is a fanboy's dream, heavy on album tracks, covers, and the kinds of song that make Elton John's early work so individual. It's not just that there are no hits here, but it's that these six (seven, on the CD reissue) songs emphasize the spare, hard-rocking bluesy singer/songwriter that may not have written his own words, but always sang them with conviction and melodies that made them seem like his own. This may be a minor effort in his catalog, but that's part of its pleasure -- it's certainly a record from the time before Elton the superstar, as he tears through Tumbleweed Connection tracks prior to the record's release, does a phenomenal reworking of "Honky Tonk Women," hauls out B-sides like "Bad Side of the Moon," and gives a fierce, infectious performance. It's not essential for anyone but obsessives, but if you want any indication of what Elton sounded like prior to his big break, this is an excellent, even intoxicating, summary.

A "hard-rocking bluesyinfectious performance" indeed! :thu:

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Archived