Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best piano + walking bass?

Cap

[Perhaps some keybaord makers still design keybaords for the US market where FM tinkly sounds never really went out of vogue..

Good observation. I went through all 3 lengths of Rhodes keyboards, so i don't miss having to bring wire cutters and extra tines and tuning springs to every job or, for that matter, throwing my back out every week. But all I hear is Yamaha FM synthesis. A PC2 has plenty of good Rhodes samples, but people's ears are no longer accepting that sound--too diirect, hard, uncompromising.

Cap

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by surfjazz:

i have yet to tire of the kurz pc88 sound...

Interesting. Wouldn't the Kurzweil SP-76/88 be essentially the same piano sounds as the PC-88? And both, I believe, are the same samples as on the Kurzweil micro piano module. The change, supposedly an improvement, would be in the PC2 models, which tout a 'triple-strike" piano sample or some such thing. All I know is i haven't talked to anyone who hears the improvement. But since dealers are still advertising PC88's, I'll add one of those to my list of candidates.

The SP series does have the same sample set as the MicroPiano, but not all of the sounds from the PC88 (clavs, bass and much more). You'll find that the SP's new design offers a much better audio quality than either the Micropiano or PC88.

Other than appearance, the PC2 actually has very little in common with the PC88. Along with an entirely new board design, has almost all new samples. Hardly any of the sounds in the PC2 have been in any previous instrument. It has the lowest noise floor and best dynamic range of any keyboard ever built, along with balanced outs and a 24bit digital out. It does have triple strike Stereo piano samples and triple strike electric piano samples. It has an effects from Kurzweil's KDFX engine, the KB3 organ model and much, much more!

Certainly if you were use the mono piano keymaps and configure the insttrument for mono operation as I suggested before you'll certain find it superior to a SP or PC88.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Certainly if you were to use the mono piano keymaps and configure the insttrument for mono operation as I suggested before you'll certain find it superior to a SP or PC88. ]

O.K., I'll bite my tongue until I've tried your recommendations, set up my 3 Kurzweils next to my grand piano, and put them all to the test.

Sam

Archived