Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

GAS report

marino

Alesis says that Andromedas will be shipping again - early next year. I wouldn't consider a product that has already shipped to be vaporware. Andromeda is a very real, and very cool analog synth, which did make it into production and did find its way into many keyboardists' setups - and it will again.

I'm pretty sure Dave's comments regarding vaporware (which I agree with) were referring to the speculation surrounding a future baby-andromeda or other similar spinoffs.

I always appreciate your insight, Dave, and find it refreshingly enlightening (as well as accurate). Please don't let one opinion keep you from contributing to this forum one of the things that I think keep many of us coming back.

[ 11-14-2001: Message edited by: felix ]

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by felix:

I'm pretty sure Dave's comments regarding vaporware (which I agree with) were referring to the speculation surrounding a future baby-andromeda or other similar spinoffs.

You are exactly correct.

I actually have no idea if there are any plans for any other Andy product. I still know folks at Alesis, but I don't ask and they don't tell.

It has been my experience that the vast majority of the time time someone developes a new technology or platform, the ideal end result is that the manufacturer who owns the technology is able to spin at least a few products off of it in order to maximize their return on investment. Considering the amount of time and money that has been put into Andromeda at this point, one would certainly hope that Alesis plans to make at least one or two other products based on the technology. It would seem to make good business sense, especially when you factor in the critical public acclaim that Andy's sound engine has received.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

Don't I sense a contradiction here?

No. Where do you see a contradiction?.

If it's not shipping yet (as they told you -January-) you mentioned (regarding the Nanotracker) that you can't be sure it'll EVER ship . . .

and for shame, for shame -- raising our hopes like that!

I'm not trying to raise anyone's hopes about anything. I'm not implying anything, and I'm not hinting at anything. I am not clear on what you mean by this...

I've been looking for an Andromeda since BEFORE Alesis went bankrupt --> and, as you recognize, this piece of gear and the whole speculative situation has been a raw nerve for me . . .

I know, I know -- you really WANT it to happen, but don't let that stretch your credulity!

Once again - what are you talking about? What do I want to happen? That they build more Andromedas? If so, how is that stretching my credulity?

If the new Alesis said they were going to re-release,say, NanoTrackers successfully, I think you'd adopt more of a 'I'll believe it when I see it' attitude . . . but, as you've mentioned elsewhere, you think of Andy as your 'baby' --> or at least partly so . . . we all want our children to do well, but sometimes that blinds us to reality . . . and it may be that they continue to reprioritize this particular Synth . . .

dB[/QB]

. . . anyways, as exciting as a re-release of Andromeda would be, I don't want to put more stock in rumours! I've had one on order for who knows how long now . . .

By the way, how many Andromedas were originally made and shipped? That happened after your watch, but I wondered if you knew any vague figures ( or is this another 'Don't Ask/Don't Tell'). . . I DO, however, understand why Alesis have put their energy behind their hard disk recorders . . . I just hope that they see Andromeda as being worth their trouble!

If it's not shipping yet (as they told you -January-) you mentioned (regarding the Nanotracker) that you can't be sure it'll EVER ship . . .

C'mon, Steven - it's not the same. The Nanotracker NEVER shipped. Andy was a finished, released product. That's not a fair comparison at all...

I've been looking for an Andromeda since BEFORE Alesis went bankrupt --> and, as you recognize, this piece of gear and the whole speculative situation has been a raw nerve for me . . .

So you should feel good that they're planning on manufacturing more. This isn't secret information - it's public knowledge, man...they've been saying it all along, and they still have the core Andy team there. Why else would they still be there? Have some faith...sure, some faorce majeure could interfere, but that could happen to any company and any product. Alesis has clearly declared their intention very publicly to continue manufacturing Andromeda, and I prefer to keep an optimistic attitude towards that promise.

I know, I know -- you really WANT it to happen, but don't let that stretch your credulity!

Once again, this is a publicly declared plan for Alesis to make more Andromedae. My credulity is not on the line here.

If the new Alesis said they were going to re-release,say, NanoTrackers successfully, I think you'd adopt more of a 'I'll believe it when I see it' attitude . . .

Of course I would - the nT was never released. Andy was. They know how to build it. The software is done. The hardware is done. The box and the manual are done. It's just not nearly the same thing.

Put down the chalupa, sir... ;)

but, as you've mentioned elsewhere, you think of Andy as your 'baby' --> or at least partly so . . . we all want our children to do well, but sometimes that blinds us to reality . . . and it may be that they continue to reprioritize this particular Synth . . .

Then they're doing an awful good job of fooling people (including their employees), and they're spending money stupidly to do it...

. . . anyways, as exciting as a re-release of Andromeda would be, I don't want to put more stock in rumours! Ive had one on order for who knows how long now . . .

...and from what I understand, you should get it.

By the way, how many Andromedas were originally made and shipped? That happened after your watch, but I wondered if you knew any vague figures

I actually don't know for sure. I believe that it was a few hundred.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

[QB]Put down the chalupa, sir... ;)

SHHhhh.... I told my wife that's for my cough! [huff huff]

...and from what I understand, you should get it.

I definitely hope so . . . and that it won't come in translucent green plexiglass with the 'NuLesis DJ' logo (actually, the only Andromeda in Vancouver was bought by a DJ . . . if only she didn't love it so much!)

Archived