Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pipe Organ Sound

jlsy

Hi there,

I don't know if anyone here knows how to program a good pipe organ sound. I hope to use a good pipe sound for our Christmas caroling on my roland XP-80, but the Church Pipes and Cathedral sounds that came with it sound a bit harsh and I'm bugdet-critical to run into their Super Sound Expansion Board.

Any comments? I want the organ sound soft and gentle on the right hand and with a moderately strong middle and bass pedal at the left. Shall I play around with the filters or the wave forms? I'm really new to sound programming!

Thanks,

Joe

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

joe,

my suggestion is to search the internet for various sounds that people post on web pages. most of the sounds are electronic-type stuff but i'm sure if you look you'll find some good church/pipe organ sounds.

you said "I want the organ sound soft and gentle on the right hand and with a moderately strong middle and bass pedal at the left"

what you'll have to do is edit the sound but it's pretty easy (i've got an xp-50). go to the TVA menu in edit mode and change the "BIAS". the BIAS LEVEL needs to be a negative (-) value and DIRECTION needs to be "ALL". what this will do is make the left part of the keyboard louder than the right. but you'll need to play around a little with the BIAS LEVEL and also the BIAS POINT (this adjusts where the average volume key is, ie. if you want only the bottom octave to be loudest, you'd put it around C2/36 - i think those notes are right from memory).

joe, check out the owner's manual in the "Explanation of sound source parameters" chapter (or similar).

also, if you want to change the actual sound, play around with the filters - LPF, HPF. PGK, BPF etc in the edit menu, plus also play with they cutoff time. and remember if you get something that sounds good to SAVE IT!!!!!

hope this helps. let us know how you go.

pray for peace.

"Consider how much coffee you're drinking - it's probably not enough."

G'day mate!

Many thanks for the suggestion. You're right, most JV/XP patches available on the net are eletronic/techno stuff. While I'll follow your instructions when the electic power in our area is back on this evening!

peace,

Joe

Archived