Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

yamaha an-1x ( a virtual thread)

tenthplanet

I'll admit it. I kind of missed a lot of the virtual analog synth wave a few years back. I recently saw a Yes Dvd and the keyboardist was using a Yamaha an-1x to cover leads that were mainly done by Moogs in the past. Interesting. Of course it's out of production so you won't find one in the store. What I would like to know if anyone has one,had one, or had one and got rid of it. Reading some things elsewhere I get the impression it is brighter sounding than then some other virtual analog stuff. For what I heard on the video it's seems it would be better at covering some of the more raucus

Arp stuff than the more rounded Moog. Anyway; what have you found and what do your ears tell you.

Michael

Q:What do you call a truck with nothing in the bed,nothing on the hitch, and room for more than three people in the cab? A:"A car"....

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have one. It does moogs pretty well. I think you could get pretty good moogy sounds out of most of the VA's. The AN1x does have some features that help. The modulation matrix is pretty cool as is the amplifier feedback parameter. For some extra warmth and bassiness you can overdrive the amp. It does overdrive more like a moog, with just a touch of warmth being added (none of the arp like squealing) until it gets really high and then you get the motor boat effect(rrrh). With the mod matrix you can do things like scale the filter resonance (more resonance on higher notes) to get that moogy bite on top, with more of an open buzz on the bottom notes. You don't have to get bright on the AN1x unless you want to... each oscillator can morph continuously between it's waveshape at full brightness (saw, pulse) and a sine wave, so you can do mellow stuff even without using a filter to tame the highs.

There is still quite a difference in my mind between real analogs and virtual analogs as far oomph is concerned. I love my AN1x though. Won't part with it. It's a lovely controller and I have got quite used to the ribbon.

The same (or similar) synth engine is currently available in the AN200 and the PLG-AN plug-in board. There are other extremely moog-capable synths too, of course.

Hope this helps,

Jerry

PS: I assume you are referring to Igor Koroshev on the Ladder tour. I felt that he used pretty bright, high resonance versions of the wakeman sounds, and they put him far back in the mix on the video so all you really hear is the high end and the (distracting) resonant sweeps. A friend saw them live and said he sounded good with the live volume levels.

[ 11-08-2001: Message edited by: Tusker ]

Originally posted by Tusker:

I have one. It does moogs pretty well.

It sure does. Check out "The Isles Shall Wait" on the compilation CD. The first few times I heard it I just assumed that was a real Minimoog all over that tune. Maybe it's just been too long since I've played the real thing, but it sure fooled me! :o

Peace all,

Steve

><>

Steve

Guys;Mucho Gracias! You told me exactly what I needed to know.

I will look into the AN-200 and the board.

Tusker you hit the nail on the head Igor with the one I was refering to.

Michael

Q:What do you call a truck with nothing in the bed,nothing on the hitch, and room for more than three people in the cab? A:"A car"....

Archived