Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Zawinul's phase shifted Rhodes sound

dansouth

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Zawinul used a Mutron Bi-Phase, which was a dual phaser with a lot of controls, and was about the size of a 4-track cassette recorder. These are collector's items and not always easy to find.

There's been a reissue from Jim Dunlop of the MXR Phase 90, and it sounds great. This is the phase-Rhodes sound associated with Steely Dan, Richard Tee, etc.

I'm working on a custom output stage for my venerable Stage Mk II, BTW. It's going to include a tube preamp, compression, EQ, and the guts of a phase 90 and TC chorus pedal, then stereo outs. It's all gonna mount in the body of the Rhodes, where the current volume and tone rail is. There's a fair amount of room behind there.

So I do think Zawinul used the Bi-Phase, but somebody correct me if I'm fulla frijoles.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

Originally posted by SteveFortner:

I think Zawinul used a Mutron Bi-Phase, which was a dual phaser with a lot of controls, and was about the size of a 4-track cassette recorder. These are collector's items and not always easy to find.

I think you're right about the Zawinul and the Bi-Phase. That and a Roland Space Echo were standard peripherals for many Rhodes rigs.

Actually, I saw several Bi-Phases on E-Bay recently, but the prices are ridiculous ($500+) though the unit was expensive back in the '70s. I can't imagine that it has an acceptable noise floor for today's recording standards. I'd guess a TC or Lexicon effects processor could duplicate that sound.

I've had great success running my RMI 368 through either a Phase 90 or a Mutron II. The Mutron II, BTW, is supposed to be the same phaser circuit as half a BiPhase, and costs considerably less than half of one (about $150 vs. $500).

I own a vermona phaser, the ph16.

It's a very nice unit which has some similarities with

the mutron Bi-Phase.

You have two separate phaser-modules that can be used parallel, as a real stereo phaser, or in a row as a mono phaser with a maximum of 16 stages.

I tried it with an rhodes sound (it was just a sound of my n364, not the best-one), but there were nice effects possible, especially with the build in envelope follower.

You can find some infos at:

www.en-port.com

Archived