Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

K2600

Goldberg

Lately I've been sizing up all the synths that seem to suit me and I think the last competetor will be the K2600, because it seems like it could be a possibility. Anyway, before going out to evaluate it, it'd be great to get to know some of the features to look for. What makes it special and unique from other synths? And, the two types of music that I'll probably be doing most are classical(all types-strings, piano...)and techno. Will the board provide some decent sounds for these(yes, I will be going to play it to find out for myself, I just want to know if it's been done before). And last, are there any forums that I can go ask more annoying questions at that are specifically dedicated to the K2600? Thanks!
"Bach is ever new"-Glenn Gould

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you can't go wrong with a K2600, whatever type of music you make. The VAST synthesis engine, if a bit old, is still excellent. The KDFX effects are stunning. The KB3 mode (Hammond simulation) is good, maybe not great.. The main drawbacks are the limited polyphony (48!) and the ROM samples themselves, almost 10 years old. But as a sampler plus synthesizer, it shines.

The best site I know for Kurzweil users is

www.sonikmatter.com

From the main page, go to the Forums, register and start asking questions. There's also a ton of info, tutorials and sound on the site too.

hope this helps

marino

Ditto to what marino said. Also, make sure you factor total costs. K2600 sounds best with customized programs for techno and samples for classical. You don't need the sampling version to replay samples but you need it for the digital interface. When you add the sampling option, PROM for user program memory, expansion boards and sample disks the 2600 really shines. It also really costs. When you go demo the K2600 try to go somethere with a sales agent that can let you hear customized sounds and show you how to get the most expressional control over some deeply programed patches.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

The K2600 is an outstanding choice for orchestral work. I don't play techno, so I can't speak to how well it will suit this style. You can import a wealth of samples, so any techno genre library will load very easily.

I don't work for them, this is not a paid endorsement, but I'd suggest contacting Sweetwater to get a salesperson who's very informed about Kurzweils. I bought my K2500RS there and have been very pleased with the high level of support during and after the sale. Nika, a contributor on this site, works there. The salesperson I dealt with is Tomi Skarica, who was excellent. You might be able to get a package deal on a K2600 with extra memory, CD-ROM drive, CD-ROMs, etc.

Hmmm

I own a PC2x and a 2600, I wish I would have gotten the 2X first. Sonically it blows the 2600 out of the water (except for the KDFX). Triple strike is just awesome!!! Since I also have an Esynth which I love!!!! my 2600 gets almost no use!!! No sampler but there coming out with expansion boards which will add to the 270 plus sounds.

Archived