Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

THE DIAMONDBACKS WIN!!!

soapbox

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

too bad I moved from Arizona back to Mexico...

but those guys really deserved it !!

Go DiamondBacks !!

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

Soap, thanks! I don't have a TV, so I'm glad to hear the news from you. It sounds as though it was a great series despite questionable AZ managing in the fifth game. The fact that game five didn't cost them the series is testament to how good the D-backs are. Best wishes to the Arizona fans!

Oh boy I'm hurting today. Tied for first for most devastating loss of my sports fan life (the other being Keith Smart taking down my Syracuse Orangemen in '87.) I don't even know what to say. There is a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach as I involuntarily relive that inning.

D'backs out-hit them, out-pitched them, and beat Rivera when it counted. Hats off to them, but don't assume Yankee fans are any less devastated because we've won so much. This one really hurts, and makes me wonder what kind of a bargain being a fan is. When the Yanks have won it all, I've never felt as high as I now feel low. There's also this sense of leaving the heightened playland of an intense chanpionship series and returning to a world that is scary and muddled.

Cheers then. On with it. Working on music is the only cure I know of.

John

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Originally posted by soapbox:

Gus, thanks for the congratulations. I didn't know you lived in Arizona! Where did you live? I grew up in Tempe.

I was working for Otis Elevator Company and while the manufacturiong plant is in Nogales, Mexico, my office was in Tucson Arizona.

I moved to another company inside of Mexico so I left DiamondBack Land... oh yes, the AZ University WILDCATS Rule !! :D

[ 11-05-2001: Message edited by: GusTraX ]

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

What a great series. The Diamondbacks first 3 wins were blowouts, while the Yankees win 3 incredible come from behind games at home, and in the end the D-backs win in a comeback against the best reliever of all time...wow!!!

Also, as a Mariner fan, I'm very happy for Randy Johnson.

This series had everything.

Indeed. I will eventually come to appreciate it for the great series it was. Right now the pain is too fresh. It kills me that they did it against our stopper, our MVP. On the other hand, you just stand up and take it. Their best against our best and they won. The last time Rivera blew a postseason save was game seven against Cleveland in '97, and he came back from that stronger than ever. But it's always the case with dominant closers: eventually, the bats catch up. I think Mariano has been over-exposed, but as successful as he's been, it's hard to blame Torre.

Originally posted by steadyb:

What a great series. The Diamondbacks first 3 wins were blowouts, while the Yankees win 3 incredible come from behind games at home, and in the end the D-backs win in a comeback against the best reliever of all time...wow!!!

Also, as a Mariner fan, I'm very happy for Randy Johnson.

This series had everything.

I should add that it is hard for me to cheer for a team from NY because they win so often. It is hard for me to cheer for the Yankees because of the owner. It is hard for me to cheer for a team that keeps winning the World Series over and over and over. However, I gained a LOT of respect for the players on that team. Too often a team that wins that much turns out to be a bunch of jerks. The NY team was class from the manager to the bat boy.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Thanks for that. That's the way it's ever been with this team. They are a classy bunch, and they've been together a long time.

Originally posted by Rabid:

I should add that it is hard for me to cheer for a team from NY because they win so often. It is hard for me to cheer for the Yankees because of the owner. It is hard for me to cheer for a team that keeps winning the World Series over and over and over. However, I gained a LOT of respect for the players on that team. Too often a team that wins that much turns out to be a bunch of jerks. The NY team was class from the manager to the bat boy.

Originally posted by Magpel:

Thanks for that. That's the way it's ever been with this team. They are a classy bunch, and they've been together a long time.

I should add that by "this team" I mean essentially from 92 - present. There have been some really arrogant and unlikeable Yankee teams, like 77-78 (well, I liked 'em, but I'm a Yankees fan).

The story of this team begins when someone--maybe Stick Michael, maybe Buck Showalter, maybe even Bucky Dent--convinced Steibrenner to stop selling off the fruits of their fertile farm system for aging superstar sluggers (that was the way of the 80s). Then we traded All-star centerfielder Roberto Kelly straight up for a platoon right fielder named O'Neil. At the time I thought it was a bad move. I was wrong.

Then under the able if gestapo-ish hand of Showalterm, the young 'uns start coming up: Bernie Williams, Gerald Williams, Velarde, Pettitte, Rivera. Then they make a really sharp trade: Sterling Hitchcock and promising 3rd baseman Russ Davis for Tino Martinez. Good show, good show. The rest is baseball history. Some of their critical free agent signings were guys any team could have had: Brosius, Gerardi, Sojo, etc.

Anyway, I love this team. Good bunch of guys, no superstars and head cases. AZ is champs, congrats to 'em, esp. to veterans Grace, Johnson, Finley, Williams, Sanders, hmmmm...who is the "bought" team here? Just kidding. Good, gutsy team, them D'backs.

No fan likes to see his team lose, and although I'm not a Yankee fan, I empathize with those who are. But, hey guys, how many times do the Yankees have to win for you to not feel "devastated?" They've won, what? Four of the last six? Not to mention nearly thirty World Series wins in eighty years? No other team in ANY sport wins as much as the Yankees do. I think it's time to spread the wealth a little.

The Diamondbacks took on a dynasty and came away the victors. I'm very impressed with their performance, and as others have mentioned, I'm very happy to see Randy Johnson reach this milestone before age catches up with him. Big Unit for President!

One final comment. I thought both teams, Yanks and D-backs, were the epitome of class throughout the series. No whining. No media posturing. No controversy. It was refreshing not to have to deal with the "CNN Attitude," if you get my drift.

Play ball!

Then we traded All-star centerfielder Roberto Kelly straight up for a platoon right fielder named O'Neil.

Yes, I remember that. I'm a Red's fan. How long did Kelly stay with the Reds? People in Cincinnati thought they were getting the better end of the deal.

I agree, this was one of the best series ever for the fans. It had everything good and very little bad. One series that you hate to see someone loose.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

John, I am sorry for your pain. One of the downsides about sports, in my reckoning, is that one person's elation comes at the expense of someone else's pain.

That point was driven home to me last night. After the World Series, my wife and I went to dinner and a movie. When I was standing in the concession line, a security guard for the theater was in front of me ordering a Coke. When it was my turn to order a Coke, the guard turned around and said to me out of the blue, "I wish I could get some Jack Daniels for this Coke. I took $2,000 out of the bank today, without telling my wife; and I bet it all on the Yankees to win. I was crying in the parking lot an hour ago!" All I could do was shake my head and say, "They almost won too! Sorry..."

I was dressed in ordinary clothes. He had no idea he was speaking to an Arizona fan. It all reminded me of a recent episode of the TV show "The Practice," in which one of the members had a severe gambling problem. I said a prayer for the security guard in my head.

Enthusiasm powers the world.

Craig Anderton's Archiving Article

Originally posted by Magpel:

*snip*

Then they make a really sharp trade: Sterling Hitchcock and promising 3rd baseman Russ Davis for Tino Martinez. Good show, good show. The rest is baseball history. Some of their critical free agent signings were guys any team could have had: Brosius, Gerardi, Sojo, etc.

Anyway, I love this team. Good bunch of guys, no superstars and head cases. AZ is champs, congrats to 'em, esp. to veterans Grace, Johnson, Finley, Williams, Sanders, hmmmm...who is the "bought" team here? Just kidding. Good, gutsy team, them D'backs.

Don't forget that trade for Tino Martinez also brought Jeff Nelson with him. If the Yankees still had Nelson, I'm pretty sure they would have won the series. The Mariners wanted Pettite in that trade, but ended up settling for Hitchcock. One of the many gaffs made by the Mariners when they were desperately trying to acquire more pitching. :mad: Can you say "Jason Varitek and Derrick Lowe for Heathcliff Slocumb"??? :confused:

Archived