Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Smooth Jazz Pieces

sudeep

hey there, im looking for some smooth jazz piano pieces to play, im thinking along the lines of David Benoits "Freedom at Midnight", and Dave Grusins "Mountain Dance". Can somebody suggest any more cool piano tunes similar to these?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As far as smooth jazz with substance, I'd recommend anything by Bob James (or his current band Fourplay) or Lyle Mays. (with or without Pat Metheney) I also like Joe Sample and Spyro Gyra a lot, but they might be more funky than "smooth". You're on the right track with Dave Grusin and David Benoit, though. :)

Peace all,

Steve

><>

Steve

If you wanna delve back into the predecessors of "smmooth" ..and you really wanna check out the seminal predecessors of in the pocket stone cold groove playing ..

Check out anything by" Stuff" .. the 70s priemier rhythym section:

Richard Tee (RIP)

Steve Gadd

Eric Gale

Cornell Dupree

Gordon Edwards

they made several albums on their own ..and accompanied everyone in the period from Paul Simon to Tom Scott ...

if your butt don't move after hearing this , youre probably dead ....

My favorite is Vince Guaraldi. Pick up the CD titled "A Boy Named Charlie Brown". Yea. Yea. You can stop laughing now. Watch a Penuts special and listen to the piano jazz. Pebble Beach is a great song for a piano/bass/drum trio. I still have the old edition of Kayboard Magazine that has the transcription of "Linus and Lucy".

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I certain wouldn't classify this piece as smooth jazz, but Chick Corea's "Spain" might fit right in with the genre. Keith Jarrett's "Long as You Know You're Living Yours" is a great tune and the inspiration for the Steely Dan tune "Gaucho". Herbie Hancock's "Maiden Voyage" would sound very fresh with a smooth jazz arrangement. All are found in the Real Book.

Archived