Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How do you even out the volume of your patches?

archibald3

Hey i was wondering if anybody had some tricks for evening out keyboard patch volumes for live shows.You know how different patches cut through etc.Like running the keys into something that gave rms readings or a limiter,watching the readings or meters and then adjusting the volumes so that they were even. thanks Arch ......sorry to double post this but i put it in craigs corner but then thought this might be a better place for it.....

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
First move any presets you use to user memory. Then edit the patches to balance volume. Use the meters on your mixer for reference. Presets in most keyboards can be very unbalanced in volume. This should be done before playing live. Next, if you are in a band that plays frequently try to pick up a room analyzer and a nice multi-band eq. Room dynamics can really throw the mix and the analyzer will help as you move from location to location. When playing live either you or the soundperson should note which songs still need volume adjustment. If you have space, you might even put some patches in multiple locations and program them with different volumes.
This post edited for speling.

Originally posted by archibald3:

Hey i was wondering if anybody had some tricks for evening out keyboard patch volumes for live shows.You know how different patches cut through etc.Like running the keys into something that gave rms readings or a limiter,watching the readings or meters and then adjusting the volumes so that they were even. thanks Arch ......sorry to double post this but i put it in craigs corner but then thought this might be a better place for it.....

Sorry, but I don't have any magics for you.

It's plain hard work that needs to be done.

Try to even out the volumes in the rehearsal room.

If you use the same patch/program in different songs it can be a good idea to copy that to another program, so you can have two different volume settings.

When you gig, let the soundman take notes when he hear a patch that's way to loud or to soft.

You can then change it to the next gig.

The sound is also depending on what kind of PA you use in your rehearsal room versus when you gig. If you think that it sounds ok in you rehearsal room it can be quite different when you're performing. (different PA's)

Stay away from limiters and compressors because they can alter the sound to much.

And they don't help if you play two sounds at the same time, and one of them are low in volume.

Archived