Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Controller Keyboard Specs

Tzouras

I am looking to buy a simple, 61-key, controller keyboard.

I need some advice as to which specs should I be paying attention to when I compare keyboards.

So far I know I need:

1. 61-keys (5 octaves)

2. Pitch-bend

3. Modulation

4. Velocity sensitive keys

5. Aftertouch

Anything else I should be looking for that you think is important?

Also sometimes they show some specs I am not sure what they mean. For example, "Weighted Synth Action". Does that mean aftertouch, velocity sensitive, or what? :confused:

Thanks for your time,

[ 11-03-2001: Message edited by: Tzouras ]

-----

Yiannis Georghiades

Chico, CA

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Weighted Synth Action"

Synth action usually means easy to puch keys, like an organ. Weighted/hammer action is like a piano. Either may have after touch, velocity, or release velocity.

You also might want to look for control knobs or sliders so you can adjust filter and other settings form the keyboard.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Depending on what you're using it for you may also want to be able to store presets of channel mappings, etc.

For example, if you're going to use it live with 3 synth modues, one song may require a piano sound on channel 2. The next song may be organ on Ch 3. And a third may be a multi patch with synth bass in the lowest two octave on Ch 2, with strings (ch 3) and rhodes (ch1) layered on the rest of the synth.

In the studio have found it's much less important to have the patching capabilities.

Originally posted by Tzouras:

Anything else I should be looking for that you think is important?

Depending on how elaborate the rig you're controlling, being able to transmit on at least 2 simultaneous MIDI channels usually is a must. This makes it a lot easier to do splits where each side of the keyboard can play a different synth.

For example, "Weighted Synth Action". Does that mean aftertouch, velocity sensitive, or what? :confused:

Usually it's both velocity and aftertouch. "Weighted synth action" just refers to the physical weight of the keys to your fingers. Roland's A30/50/70 or any of Kurzweil's 76-note keyboards have this type of action. It's kind of a compromise weighting somewhere between a synth (Triton, Motif6, QS6, etc.) and a piano action.

Peace all,

Steve

[ 11-03-2001: Message edited by: SWBuck1074@aol.com ]

><>

Steve

Thank you all for your replies.

I will be using the controller keyboard for studio use only, and mainly for non-piano patches. I am thinking of the Fatar SL161. Does anybody know it or has used it?

Thanks again

-----

Yiannis Georghiades

Chico, CA

Archived